What's new

Not a bad day at all!

jewelerdave

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
850
Reaction score
98
Golden Thread
0
Location
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First box yielded 104 40%ers One roll had 16 silvers! No 90s oddly enough

second box and 3rd box had 20 40% and I managed to eek out one %90 ken

3rd $100 was a skunk. And I have to admit I am a little worried by this one. I went to the bank that I got the boxes with all the bright and shinny bens from and asked for a box.

Sorry we cant give out more than $100 worth.

Why?

The local college is giving them out as change and they are ordering each week in increments of $3500

can I trade you out, I just collect them, I could bring you back rolled coins in the amount when I am done very quickly.

They have to be fed rolled.

no tape?

No tape.

Ok, Thanks.


DAMN DAMN DAMN!

this may be why so many good coins have come about, with a large organization digging deep. The sad part is. They get a large chunk.

Well hopefuly as they spread though the community they are saved or deposited to bring more half full bank bags into the fed. as long as they circulate thats all I care about. Maybe they are all my boxes as I got some of my own a week ago form this bank.

Who knows.

Either way, All the 40s are nothing to complain about. I am sure some bens and walkers are going to get put out there and kept, but most of these kids have no idea they are silver 40s etc. and spend em,

A friend of my girlfriends just the other day stopped her friend from spending a 68, thats silver ya know!
She had no idea it was, and wondered how many others she had spent from her inheritance.


Ht 2007 CRH Total: 10 18 07
War Nickels – 2
Buffalo Nicks - 1
V Nickel 1 (1899)
proof Nickel - 1
Sil Dimes - 7
Sil Wash Qtrs - 0
90% Kennedy - 72
40% Kennedy - 691
Franklins - 52
Walkers - 11
Barber – 2 (1904, 1910s)
Comm. Sil Halves – 1 1992 columbus
Prf Halves – 36
of witch are Silver Proofs 12

Ikes - 42
​
 
Upvote 0
Amazing haul in that first box and a great total overall. Congrats.
 
Is that local college Ohio State by chance?

There was a neat little article in last Saturday's Columbus Dispatch. The concessions vendor (SODEXHO or something) at the OSU games raised prices so that the price of common items plus tax falls on the 50 cent boundary. To speed up change-giving, they are handing out halves as change. They get well over 100,000 people at a football game, so I'm sure they are handing out a lot of halves!

Anyway, the article was interesting. It talked about how a lot of people were puzzled by the half dollars. Also gave a little history on the Kennedy half.

HH,
Wally
 
Man those kind of boxes I have never run into. What part of CO are you in? I used to be in Arvada then Parker and now Aurora. None produced that well!!
 
Nice haul. Sounds like they are letting a lot of halves loose. To bad tho. I am sure when they pop the rolls all the Ladys and Bens will get kept.
 
Thanks for the info Dave. At least them diggin deep is helping us little guys get deeper in the pallet too. Yea all of mine were 40's too, whats up with that LOL. Does give me high hopes for my two fresh boxes today. HH Mark
 
Great Boxes!
Congrats!
 
wallyblackburn said:
Is that local college Ohio State by chance?

There was a neat little article in last Saturday's Columbus Dispatch. The concessions vendor (SODEXHO or something) at the OSU games raised prices so that the price of common items plus tax falls on the 50 cent boundary. To speed up change-giving, they are handing out halves as change. They get well over 100,000 people at a football game, so I'm sure they are handing out a lot of halves!

Anyway, the article was interesting. It talked about how a lot of people were puzzled by the half dollars. Also gave a little history on the Kennedy half.

HH,
Wally

If enough things like this occur, the mint may even need to start minting new half dollars for circulation.
 
Id be very surprised if they did. Enough of the ones they are minting now are making it in. And enough are sitting about in vaults that I dont think they would need too. Also it seems that a lot of silver coins have been making up for the shortages :) LOL

When you look at the numbers of halves minted its in the billions. Sitting around somewhere, in bank boxes, in coin counters, peoples coin stashes etc. Some are circulating.

A few universities and businesses using them scattered about even the one we have here doing $3500 a week, if that were done all the way though the school year for say 30 weeks (witch it would be much less as games are not always going on) would only be 200,000 or so halves max. Yes of course some are kept but most of them will get saved at first, then people realize they are just like a quarter, and its money, and spend it or deposit it. guess what, its back in the banking system recycled just like all the other coins. Particularly with students, why would many of them hang on too them?

I laugh inside every time I spend a few dollars in halves and I see the attendant putting them aside for them selves.

take a look at dollar coins, how long was it between minting SBA dollars in 79,it was 20 years before they did another run for circulation in 99, then they did the gold dollar thing, and people still dont use them, now they are doing this presidential thing with the goal of getting people to collect. Or maybe they are planing on doing in the paper $1 note. Who knows.

Either way, I doubt the need to mint halves will be any time soon for circulation. The 2 to 3 million they do for collectors they feel is enough. And quite a few of those as we have seen have ended up in circulation. I can see maybe 5 or 10 years down the road to maybe do 10 to 15 million for circulation but it would probably be a commemorative or something.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom