Not a lot of quantity but finally got back on the board with some Spanish silver

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan and I were able to squeeze in a half day hunt yesterday afternoon that would be our last one of 2015. We were excited to return to our recent site where we hit on a flurry of buttons on our previous hunt there. We initially started expanding on the area we had gridded before, and I immediately dug 2 buttons and things were looking good. But after that I could hardly coax a signal from the ground, and things started looking like we had done a great job cleaning out the place on the last trip (although Dan had a bit more luck in the button dept). I eventually decided to walk through the original hotspot hoping to come across something we might have missed, and was quickly rewarded with a very "silvery" sounding signal. I finally saw a silver coin in the dirt and was certain it was a 1/2 reale based on the fact that just about every single target coming from this spot dated from 1775-1825. But you can't imagine the disgust when I realized it was nothing more than a crummy barber dime :sad10:. So I remained with a goose egg in the colonial silver king contest with Dan. The only other interesting target I dug at this spot was some kind of small brass cap, and after cleaning the dirt off I saw where the top was gilted with a flower motif showing. I have no idea what this came off of.

At this point we decided to move on to an older but very productive site as discussed by Dan in his post. I know for a fact that at least 20-25 colonial silver coins have come from the several hotspots on this property, and we felt we needed to give it another go with the soybeans just cut. And, of course, Dan's very first signal was a 1683 cob which put me down 2-0 for the season, but it sparked a little excitement for things to come. And in that same area I heard a bunch of promising signals, but just about all of them were blobs of melted lead. We slowly made our way about a 100 yards over to the knoll that contained the infamous "money pit", and were getting a fairly high number of signals in spite of that area having been pounded many times. Soon I started noticing my detector acting up a bit, and saw where my battery light was flashing. As soon as I changed them and walked about 10 ft I got a strong, shallow signal that promised to be another chunk of lead. But I was caught off-guard when a silver disk appeared, but I wasn't assuming anything after what had happened earlier in the day. But I fared better this time as it turned out to be a nice little 1782 half reale. This is my 3rd of the season (but first with Dan), and #184 overall. We made one more wide loop as we headed toward the truck, and ole Dan managed to convert what should have been a button signal into a micro-sized cut piece. I tell ya, they don't get any smaller than this, and this little midget of a coin definitely should not count toward the contest:laughing7:. But I guess fair is fair, and now Dan holds a commanding 3-1 lead. But if nothing else, this one hour hunt at an old spot gave us renewed enthusiasm to return and clean up a few high-quality leftovers. Had a ball as usual Dan, and am anxious to get back in the fields soon. Merry Christmas to all T'Netters!

Attachments

• 122015a.jpg
    122015a.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 122015b.jpg
    122015b.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 122015c.jpg
    122015c.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 149
  • 122015d.jpg
    122015d.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 122015e.jpg
    122015e.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 122015f.jpg
    122015f.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 122015g.jpg
    122015g.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 122015h.jpg
    122015h.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Upvote 29

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats a beauty of a half reale, Bill. Happy Holidays and hope you have a great 2016.

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG! Nice Spanish. Saw dans post earlier, so Ive been waiting to see one from you. :thumbsup:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3-1 is WAY better than 3 and O.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Congrats!
Lots of detail left on your silver.
Still a good hunt. Hope The worms get busy and hall a bunch more goodies up where your detector can grab them.

Merry Christmas, and an Awesome New Year!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Wishing you and your family the best during the holiday season.

Very well done Bill. Nice silvers and buttons. Congrats.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Half reale came out in amazing condition Bill, allot better then the one I dug in our pounded out site. Funny how it is, there are these sites that just continue to produce long after you figure that they should have dried up. Don't give up on that place just yet Buddy, no doubt there is more to come out of the ground from there.
All the best, and congrats on the beautiful Spanish.
ZDD

goldbmine

Nov 13, 2015
North Ga.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you and I'm happy for you to come across such wonderful historical finds. But many here would consider a "crummy barber" a great find. Many here don't have early history in there "back yard".

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt Bill,
Glad to see your spanish slump is over. I guess the plate on your truck isn't a bad omen. Lol
And I know exactly what you felt when you seen it was a Barber! Haha. NO WAY!! THAT STINKS..
Happy Holidays to you and your wife..

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to get back on board with the Spanish silver...Merry Xmas Bill and all the best in the New Year!

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic half reale and digs.

Russ

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its such a bummer to dig those barber dimes. You guys are spoiled down there in the tidewater. I guess I wont bother posting the barber I dug tonight. LOL

Last edited:

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Way to go pulling Spanish Silver on your last hunt of the year...Hopefully you will continue right where you left off...Congrats on a nice hunt!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, THAT is a GREAT coin! Well done! Jealous here at the beach man!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go Bill. Nice score on the espana!

Happy holidays bud

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I very wise relic hunter recently said

.... I think I'd almost be happy to be digging mercs in a park. (I can't believe I said that!!:BangHead:)

Well... You did better than that, you got a barber in a bean field! :laughing7:

Great hunt Bill and super happy that you got on the board with some Spanish silver. That's a good looking half reale. I like that button a lot too... We got nice weather, I hope you get back out there some more soon. As always, great post man and can't wait till the next one.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet little real there, she's in great shape.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread