What's new

Not a lot of quantity but finally got back on the board with some Spanish silver

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
4,715
Reaction score
6,220
Golden Thread
6
Location
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan and I were able to squeeze in a half day hunt yesterday afternoon that would be our last one of 2015. We were excited to return to our recent site where we hit on a flurry of buttons on our previous hunt there. We initially started expanding on the area we had gridded before, and I immediately dug 2 buttons and things were looking good. But after that I could hardly coax a signal from the ground, and things started looking like we had done a great job cleaning out the place on the last trip (although Dan had a bit more luck in the button dept). I eventually decided to walk through the original hotspot hoping to come across something we might have missed, and was quickly rewarded with a very "silvery" sounding signal. I finally saw a silver coin in the dirt and was certain it was a 1/2 reale based on the fact that just about every single target coming from this spot dated from 1775-1825. But you can't imagine the disgust when I realized it was nothing more than a crummy barber dime :sad10:. So I remained with a goose egg in the colonial silver king contest with Dan. The only other interesting target I dug at this spot was some kind of small brass cap, and after cleaning the dirt off I saw where the top was gilted with a flower motif showing. I have no idea what this came off of.

At this point we decided to move on to an older but very productive site as discussed by Dan in his post. I know for a fact that at least 20-25 colonial silver coins have come from the several hotspots on this property, and we felt we needed to give it another go with the soybeans just cut. And, of course, Dan's very first signal was a 1683 cob which put me down 2-0 for the season, but it sparked a little excitement for things to come. And in that same area I heard a bunch of promising signals, but just about all of them were blobs of melted lead. We slowly made our way about a 100 yards over to the knoll that contained the infamous "money pit", and were getting a fairly high number of signals in spite of that area having been pounded many times. Soon I started noticing my detector acting up a bit, and saw where my battery light was flashing. As soon as I changed them and walked about 10 ft I got a strong, shallow signal that promised to be another chunk of lead. But I was caught off-guard when a silver disk appeared, but I wasn't assuming anything after what had happened earlier in the day. But I fared better this time as it turned out to be a nice little 1782 half reale. This is my 3rd of the season (but first with Dan), and #184 overall. We made one more wide loop as we headed toward the truck, and ole Dan managed to convert what should have been a button signal into a micro-sized cut piece. I tell ya, they don't get any smaller than this, and this little midget of a coin definitely should not count toward the contest:laughing7:. But I guess fair is fair, and now Dan holds a commanding 3-1 lead. But if nothing else, this one hour hunt at an old spot gave us renewed enthusiasm to return and clean up a few high-quality leftovers. Had a ball as usual Dan, and am anxious to get back in the fields soon. Merry Christmas to all T'Netters!
 

Attachments

  • 122015a.webp
    122015a.webp
    94.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 122015b.webp
    122015b.webp
    153.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 122015c.webp
    122015c.webp
    66.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 122015d.webp
    122015d.webp
    47.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 122015e.webp
    122015e.webp
    45.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 122015f.webp
    122015f.webp
    71.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 122015g.webp
    122015g.webp
    41.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 122015h.webp
    122015h.webp
    47 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Upvote 58
Good hunt Bill,
Glad to see your spanish slump is over. I guess the plate on your truck isn't a bad omen. Lol
And I know exactly what you felt when you seen it was a Barber! Haha. NO WAY!! THAT STINKS..
Happy Holidays to you and your wife..

George, that plate IS still a jinx as I've yet to score a cut piece this season after digging about 40 over the last 4 years. Guess I'll have to wait until 2016 to reverse that trend.
 
Nice one Bill, good to see you getting a silver once again.
 
Wow bill d you guys really had a great season. Thanks for sharing your stories I love to read every one of them merry Christmas to you and your family too. HH gl esstcoast
 
Really nice condition half reale Bill. Glad you got that out of your system. Hopefully several more will surface after the new year, they always do :).
 
Congrats on breaking your slump Bill. I've been in a slump too....only one Spanish silver in 2015 and the year is basically over.
 
Congrats Bill! Nice Silver! :icon_thumleft:
 
Good going on the Spanish silver.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
DANG BILL I HAVENT RECOVERED YET FROM YOUR PREVIOUS POST , NICE FINDS ..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom