Not a Timex, but took a licking and kept on ticking! and a DUCK CALL!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Hi everyone. Got a chance to go out and md' a bit today, unfortunately didn't do so well. Being a spur of the moment kind of day I thought I'd drop by a couple of sites that I'd looked at for a while but hadn't searched. The first being a NEW school, a vocational technical school that was built on the grounds of a former elementary school.. that was torn down to make room for the new school. All that remained un scathed of the old school yard was four large trees that used to stand at the corner of the lot by the road.
Oh well I thought it might turn out to be pretty good hunting at first, I hadn't gone more than three steps from my truck when I got a hit. It was a dime. Oh it wasn't a merc or anything remotely interesting or old, but it WAS a dime!. Another couple of steps and I hit a penny, wrong.. it was a pull tab. Then a tin can. THEN a real penny. By now I'm under the canopy of the first big tree. I get a very large hit for a quarter.. keeps bouncing back and forth between quarter and 50c piece.. I'm thinking SILVER!!! So I dig. and dig. and dig. *sigh* I was just about to give up thinking I'd been spoofed by ground clutter or something when my bullseye started to vibrate. Thirteen inches down.. That's One Foot and One Inch added together.. thirteen inches down I find the edge of a formed piece of metal something. Not silver, not aluminum... <shrug> I carefully dug around it till it finally popped free. *sigh* A GAS CAP! from an older model pick up no doubt, I'm thinking early 60's era Dodge..with the molded or formed one piece bar type handle.. not designed to be covered up by a nifty little door. Oh well. It was exciting. Resuming my search I had another pretty good hit a few feet further around the tree. Only ten inches or so down this time. (pretty deep reads for my Prizm.. I was getting impressed by that anyway) The second big hit turned out to be a ten inch piece of copper tubing. Like say for a metal brake line? Then it dawned on me. <rolling eyes> What else are big trees good for. Especially ones alongside busy roads near intersections? Car wrecks. This big old tree has been hit more times than Pam and Tommy Lee's website <smirk>.
I found some lead from a piece of pipe at the next tree, some aluminum window frame, a chip of metal backed mirror (glass) and one old style DUCK CALL. Now some of you old timers no doubt remember the first time you heard them called duck calls, but to the younger generations they are just old timey pull tabs. Well kids.. after you pull the tab off of the <ahem> "soft drink" can of your choice, you could carefully bend the tab portion over top of the Ring portion and there you would have it.. a Duck Call! It worked great too! Nobody could ever mistake the sound as anything BUT a duck call. <laughing> You would carefully lift the call to your lips and.. yell.. "HERE DUCK DUCK DUCK DUCK" !! <laughing>
June 10th 003.jpg

That was all I was going to find at that site.. at least for today. I moved on to another site. The same schoolyard that I found my first ring in. Well, around back of the school at the baseball field. I thought I'd search around the bleachers and concession stand, pick up some battery money at least. Sadly either my touch was off today or there just wasn't much to be found in the first place, one nickle and one dime. So, I loaded up again and moved to yet a third schoolyard.. or was going to, the parking lot that I would have to traverse and park in was just newly surfaced with black top... uh.. tar or something. It was blocked off. So, I turned around and went to a small park that I have been to several times but have been away for a couple of months. Being sunday, there were no games there today and only few diehards practicing with dads and or moms catching flies and trying to get that batting stance and grip just right. <smile>
I did do a little better, but not by much. I found some clad, a bent square nail (under a pull tab), a plastic car that was buried in the sand a compression pipe fitting, a baseball (not shown in photos) which I tossed to one young man and his son catching pop flies. Then I came across a strange sounding set of hits with my Prizm. Eratic then strong, then eratic again. I tried to do the stations of the cross to pin point (making the x).. but it wouldn't read the same each time. One read said deep as 8 inches and it was a "penny" one said it was a nickle (or pull tab) and only about 2 inches deep. So I pulled out my Bullseye and started probing in the grass as close to where I could pin down the hits. I found one right off the bat. It was the clasp of a man's watch on a leather band.. and.. it was still attached.. as I eased the band out from under the grass the watch emerged from under the thatch.. and it kept coming..the other side of the band was still attached as well. <smile> What's more.. the thing was still ticking! Brought to mind memories of old Timex Watch commercials of how people would lose their watch(es) and find them later still in working order. "Timex! Takes a Licking and Keeps On Ticking!" Unfortunately this watch wasn't a Timex..No testimonial from me.

June 10th 001.jpg

June 10th 002.jpg

It's some cheap Japanese brand probably on sale at Wal-Mart. The crown (bezel?) or glass has been shattered. Maybe it was hit by that baseball I found earlier? <grin> I'm thinking pocket dump though because there was a quarter found nearby and a dime. Oh well It was getting along towards dinner time by then and I decided to call it a day. Besides.. I still had to take pictures of this stuff and put it on here for you all to see. Right? <grin> At least I got out hunting a bit today. Sadly it's back to work tomorrow and the Detector will have to hang patiently in the garage till next time I get to go hunting. I hope it's soon.

Frodov

HH everyone..

"Heeeeeeere Duck duck duck duck duck duck.."

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story & nice digs. I had to get in line with SWR with the ducks. These are cute...

;) RR

Attachments

• ducks.jpg
    ducks.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 383

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Hey, at least you got out there and tried. Some days are like that and then there are much better days and I see those for you in the future. Good luck and get out there as soon as you can.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi Frodov!!

lol... I really enjoyed the write up describing your adventure. Big smiles!
The watch is cool, congrats and good luck to you!

Smiles!
BDoo

R

RUDY2003

Way to go Frodov..Looks like you found the "time" to dig......
Keep safe...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread