What's new

Not bad for 15 min of detecting

Dinkleman

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
70
Reaction score
96
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rochester ny
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, pro pointer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a few min to kill while my fiancé was in the Dr's so I grabbed my detector, as usual it always in the car, and detected around a building that had just been tore down. The building dated back pretty 1900. I found more copper pieces than I know what to do with. All the gutters and flashing and whatnot on the building was all copper. Then about a foot from the new sidewalk they just put in it found part of a copper dual wick oil lamp. I'll have to check the area some more when I have the time. I'll post a better picture when I clean it up
20160819_111250.webp
 
Upvote 20
Well you had some fun there.
 
I've had a few of those unresearched an unplanned hunts turn out surprisingly well. Good luck with it.
 
Congrats on your find, no telling what might have turned up if you had more time
 
Don't toss the copper! It's worth a bit now, but will be going up again even more!

As for your pic, ....sorry, can't say what initially popped into mind when I first saw the pic. ...Think "cow" :laughing9:
 
Ah, nice. Clean that up, those turn-of-the-century lamps usually have patent dates stamped on them.
 
I have a bunch of scrap copper. I save everything but the junk iron and tin. I've been to some old farms where you can dig a 1000lbs of scrap in a weekend just trying to clear the area to find the good stuff.
 
Had a few min to kill while my fiancé was in the Dr's so I grabbed my detector, as usual it always in the car, and detected around a building that had just been tore down. The building dated back pretty 1900. I found more copper pieces than I know what to do with. All the gutters and flashing and whatnot on the building was all copper. Then about a foot from the new sidewalk they just put in it found part of a copper dual wick oil lamp. I'll have to check the area some more when I have the time. I'll post a better picture when I clean it up
View attachment 1349565

Check for Patient date on the wick turner , I enjoy finding Oil Lamp Pieces.
 
I have a bunch of scrap copper. I save everything but the junk iron and tin. I've been to some old farms where you can dig a 1000lbs of scrap in a weekend just trying to clear the area to find the good stuff.

Yep I save all the Metals also , I avg , $200-$300 a year in scrap ; Wire & pipe [copper] mostly , but scrap Iron brought $80 + dollars & that was a .4 cent a pound. Have not turned in Brass in 3 + years.
"Metal is Money"
Davers
 
So far I have been able to i lift enough corrosion to read DUP and star on the wick adjuster. Still working on it
 
OLE LANTERN BURNER . MAY HAVE A DATE ON THE KNOB TO TURN FLAME UP ...
 
OLE OIL LANTERN BURNER , AND MAY HAVE A DATE ON THE KNOB FACE THAT TURNS THE FLAME UP ...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom