Not Much but Neat Examples of Case Shot (I Think)

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found all these in one hole. At first I thought I was digging dropped bullets, but they are misshapen. Then I thought a couple were carved. However, I noticed traces of what looks to be tar matrix on them as well as iron residue. I think the one that is sliced was actually caused by the auger drilling out the powder chamber at the manufacturer. (I think I recall The Cannon Ball Guy mentioning that this could happen). The one with the promenant nipple has a lot of iron residue. It looks almost like the nipple itself is iron.

Anyway, as I said, not Much at all but I had fun and did not get skunked- as often happens to me!

Attachments

• IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    841.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0521.JPG
    IMG_0521.JPG
    857.2 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 9

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I wonder if this was the result of a ground burst shell?

OP
OP
C

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking so. However, I didn't find any fragments in the same hole. Weird! Thank for looking!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are more likely 'bar shot', joined by the bar of iron.

OP
OP
C

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are more likely 'bar shot', joined by the bar of iron.

I should have put a ruler beside them or a coin for reference. These Case shot are the typical size of regular lead musket bullets. If I'm not mistaken, bar shot was much larger like iron Cannon balls connected by an iron bar? Maybe I'm wrong though. But if there was something similar that connected led musket balls, I'd certainly like to know more about it!

thanks for all the replies!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have put a ruler beside them or a coin for reference. These Case shot are the typical size of regular lead musket bullets. If I'm not mistaken, bar shot was much larger like iron Cannon balls connected by an iron bar? Maybe I'm wrong though. But if there was something similar that connected led musket balls, I'd certainly like to know more about it!

thanks for all the replies!

Nope, you can get musket ball bar shot;
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/797838

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well there is a modern shotgun type of string shot --buckshot connected by a wire ...this could be a early cannon form of " string or connected shot -

Gitschlag

Aug 7, 2011
Brandon, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter MkII, Minelab Xterra70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like case shot to me, I found a ground-burst a few weeks back and several had an identical "slice" in them. I wonder if the iron sticking out could have embedded itself in those when the thing blew up?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like case shot to me, I found a ground-burst a few weeks back and several had an identical "slice" in them. I wonder if the iron sticking out could have embedded itself in those when the thing blew up?
very unlikely

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread