mikeofaustin
Bronze Member
- #1
Thread Owner
(((updated at the end of this post with photos))).
Not sure if anyone remembered that bee hive in the old oak tree across the street from me that I talked about in previous posts. But today, it hit the fan. The city of Austin came out (after that wind storm that broke that branch about a month ago (another post)), but the city finally came out to 'trim' the tree'. They set up, went up in their cherry picker, cut right down the middle of the hive .....and they went running (yes, there are pics of that). About an hour later, the fire department and the EMT's showed up. "Bees are wild" as they called it. Then later, the calm and wise beekeeper came to straighten everything out. BUT, I made sure to take photo's of everything!!!!. Bee's swarming, chainsaws, EMTs, zoot suits, etc.... it was a very busy day for me. At one point, I actually thought about calling the local news station to get them out there, so I could get a shot of even them making a big deal about a little local honey bee colony that has been there for more than a year without hurting anyone. AND now they are taking them away for no reason at all (because people are scared).
Not sure if anyone is interested in the photo's that I have... but I have to warn you... no one was stung at all (temp was 60F). It's was truly a "non-issue" (exactly what I told the fire department). But, it's still funny to see these people setting up road blocks (police department) for a little honey bee hive. It almost makes me proud of those little guys for being able to make these stupid humans do what they did (my brother is a bee-keeper in Arkansas and he would love to see it too).
EDIT: Photo's here-> http://www.pcb-experts.com/photos/
Not sure if anyone remembered that bee hive in the old oak tree across the street from me that I talked about in previous posts. But today, it hit the fan. The city of Austin came out (after that wind storm that broke that branch about a month ago (another post)), but the city finally came out to 'trim' the tree'. They set up, went up in their cherry picker, cut right down the middle of the hive .....and they went running (yes, there are pics of that). About an hour later, the fire department and the EMT's showed up. "Bees are wild" as they called it. Then later, the calm and wise beekeeper came to straighten everything out. BUT, I made sure to take photo's of everything!!!!. Bee's swarming, chainsaws, EMTs, zoot suits, etc.... it was a very busy day for me. At one point, I actually thought about calling the local news station to get them out there, so I could get a shot of even them making a big deal about a little local honey bee colony that has been there for more than a year without hurting anyone. AND now they are taking them away for no reason at all (because people are scared).
Not sure if anyone is interested in the photo's that I have... but I have to warn you... no one was stung at all (temp was 60F). It's was truly a "non-issue" (exactly what I told the fire department). But, it's still funny to see these people setting up road blocks (police department) for a little honey bee hive. It almost makes me proud of those little guys for being able to make these stupid humans do what they did (my brother is a bee-keeper in Arkansas and he would love to see it too).
EDIT: Photo's here-> http://www.pcb-experts.com/photos/
so by this time he says he will be back to capture the bees... meantime whole neighborhood is like what the he&&s going on over there.. all the cops coming and going. I told the one cop, if this guy shows up in a haz mat suit, I will pee myself...so finally hrs. later the bee keeper shows up, starts to get into his white suit....yes, I ran to the bathroom.... what struck me even funnier was he taped the wrists of the suit, but no gloves on, no face mask on.. we all back up he goes up the ladder and shoves his bare hand in the live hive and says the queen is still there, so he grabs the queen, puts her in a special box on the ground and all the bees started to follow the queen..he came back hrs later to make sure all the bees got into the box. what a comical day it was I tell ya.







