pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Picked this up yrs ago, don't remember now.
Thumber fits nicely in the divet.
Also the y line with the dots- natural or man made.
Hope this makes some sense.
20210222_152503.jpg
20210222_152426.jpg
20210222_152400.jpg

Upvote 0

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a piece of sand polished shell. I don't think its a NA artifact though...

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello "P.J."! That piece looks like a shell fragment with worm holes to me. The edge looks ground and not so sharp--maybe due to wear from tumbling in water. I see those ripples in the last pic but not sure if that's shock from knapping impact or just natural. Whether it's an artifact, I can not determine from your pics but it does have eye appeal. I know this doesn't help but that's all I have. Good luck.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a piece of sand polished shell. I don't think its a NA artifact though...
Thanks for your reply

It was picked up from a Eastern Ontario field, no water sources in the immediate area.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello "P.J."! That piece looks like a shell fragment with worm holes to me. The edge looks ground and not so sharp--maybe due to wear from tumbling in water. I see those ripples in the last pic but not sure if that's shock from knapping impact or just natural. Whether it's an artifact, I can not determine from your pics but it does have eye appeal. I know this doesn't help but that's all I have. Good luck.

Thanks for your views. Liking the worm holes.
I guess it will go into the :dontknow:area, but in the meantime it's a nice worry shell.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked this up yrs ago, don't remember now.
Thumber fits nicely in the divet.
Also the y line with the dots- natural or man made.
Hope this makes some sense.
View attachment 1904417
View attachment 1904419
View attachment 1904420

I wouldn't throw it away....

You could look into native culture around the area and try to figure out what they used to flatten porcupine quills with for quillwork.
Though an individual could have used whatever , some groups had guilds doing certain crafts.
Tools may have been more uniform in material (?) than one off items. Or...Someone could have made an exception too.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn't throw it away....

You could look into native culture around the area and try to figure out what they used to flatten porcupine quills with for quillwork.
Though an individual could have used whatever , some groups had guilds doing certain crafts.
Tools may have been more uniform in material (?) than one off items. Or...Someone could have made an exception too.

I'm starting to think this came off my permission down the way. No I'm a hoarder basically-it's too nice to chuck.
I have been waiting for the one permission to rotate the crops again so it's bare soils again. The uncle amassed a pretty good collection from the fields while farming the homestead. "They just said to me, that we would of got along really well-he was always looking down"

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm starting to think this came off my permission down the way. No I'm a hoarder basically-it's too nice to chuck.
I have been waiting for the one permission to rotate the crops again so it's bare soils again. The uncle amassed a pretty good collection from the fields while farming the homestead. "They just said to me, that we would of got along really well-he was always looking down"

Step Grandmothers Dad broke ground about a quarter(?) mile from a lake for a pickle field.
Turned up some ancient relics.....
There's one atlatl point from there in Dads estate we have not decided where it goes yet . (I don't think we did yet anyways.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread