What's new

Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots o Pics.

Kas

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
1,571
Reaction score
29
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Got permission to hunt a huge field in the oldest part of town. The owner was like, "Sure, but it was a farm field, you won't find much." That was fine with me, because It was in the oldest part of town, Shawneetown they called it when it was settled in the late 1700's. Plus, I knew from research that the F.O.E., Eagles, owned the property for years and had a building there, and held their annual picnics there.

So off I went.

The first pic is on the opposite side of the field, behind the tree line, where an old school used to be. Hunted it a bunch, never found one coin there. New school right beside it, '50s.


Next pic is of two of the oldest houses in town. The white brick was a underground railroad house. The guy tells me the tunnel is still in the basement, somewhat caved in. won't let me hunt it. The other house, the guy won't let me hunt either. That house and barn are right in town.

Next is the field I'm hunting, and the foundation of the old Eagles building.

And some of the finds. I found the picnic area after a bit of hunting around, and All I did was dig.
Found the wheats and silver quarter, along with five dollars and something in clad. Many holes had two or three coins in them. I hate to say I got tired of digging. Skipped over a bunch of mems. The coin targets were so close together they were hard to separate.

Anyway enjoy. I'll be hunting this one for a long time to come.
 

Attachments

  • the eagle 009.webp
    the eagle 009.webp
    56.9 KB · Views: 789
  • the eagle 010.webp
    the eagle 010.webp
    53.7 KB · Views: 779
  • the eagle 005.webp
    the eagle 005.webp
    69.6 KB · Views: 786
  • the eagle 003.webp
    the eagle 003.webp
    39.2 KB · Views: 778
  • the eagle 007.webp
    the eagle 007.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 789
  • the eagle 006.webp
    the eagle 006.webp
    49.5 KB · Views: 778
  • the eagle 008.webp
    the eagle 008.webp
    85.7 KB · Views: 774
  • the eagle 001.webp
    the eagle 001.webp
    26.9 KB · Views: 791
  • the eagle 002.webp
    the eagle 002.webp
    42.2 KB · Views: 769
Upvote 4
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Nice pictures and nice finds!! ;D
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Sweet finds, Kas and nice pictures.
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

nice pics. and finds
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Thanks, it's a nice quiet area, and power lines. I had the DFX cranked up and she didn't false once.

The wheats are mostly '40s the quarter is a '56. The nickel is a '46.

Man it was a nice day too. Cool. I can't wait to hit the tree line. When I used to hunt to school I notice that it was a humped up pile of dirt all the way down its length. Then I got to thinking maybe that's why I never found any coins in the old school yard. They pushed the top layer to the back when they built the new school. Should be some old coins waiting in there.
I think I'll hit it in the fall when the foliage is down.
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Congrats Kas.
Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing,
MM
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

When the ground moistens up in the fall, this will be a great site to hit hard. Great lot of finds, congrats Kas. Good luck, keep em coming!

Smiles!
BDoo
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Way to go on the great new site, and some cool pic too. Hope you find a whole lot more to come. Way to go!
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Well, heading back out to clean up some more clad in hopes of getting to the deeper stuff.

With over a hundred clad coins yesterday, I'm still tired of digging, but I have hopes of getting to the good stuff.
Have and HH day
Ken
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Looks like you found a great spot there. Take your time with it. I find when using the DFX it's helpful to go back
and clear areas with lots of coins a little at a time.

The DFX (with stock coil), gets confused with many coins in a small spot. As you dig them out, other coins present themselves.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else you find there.

Congratulations!


Ridley
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Looks like a great spot and great research material. WTG
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Congrats looks like you've got your work cut out for awhile ;)
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Kas,

nice photos.

Is that Shawneetown, Illinois?

If so, was your location in the area of
the 1937 Ohio River flooding?

Just wondering. :-\

Silver is always nice.
Thanks for posting.

have a good un...
SHERMANVILLE
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Ohio, Sherm. And they had a flood of the Miami river in 1913. The Miami river cuts right through the middle of town, and the Ohio and Erie canal came through here as well.

Now the area is just called Shawnee, and is part of the rest of the town which is on the opposite side of the river.

Cleaned out some more clad yesterday, another 100 coins.

With the pictures I have from one of the pinics, I haven't even touched the game booth areas and gambling tents. I've only done the area around the food tent and booths. I should have made it a group hunt. You can't make two swings without geating a good coin signal. Surpirsingly, haven't dug many beer tabs. I know they drank a plenty though, and evidently handed money out to the kids like crazy.

I'm on vacation all week so I'll be digging up as much as I can.

HH
Ken
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Looks good Ken. ;D It's great when you find a spot with plenty of clad and old stuff as well. Those are the sites I like. Sites with just old stuff are cool but can get a little monotonous with so few good targets.

Bob
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Kas said:
Ohio, Sherm. And they had a flood of the Miami river in 1913. The Miami river cuts right through the middle of town, and the Ohio and Erie canal came through here as well.

Now the area is just called Shawnee, and is part of the rest of the town which is on the opposite side of the river.

Cleaned out some more clad yesterday, another 100 coins.

With the pictures I have from one of the pinics, I haven't even touched the game booth areas and gambling tents. I've only done the area around the food tent and booths. I should have made it a group hunt. You can't make two swings without geating a good coin signal. Surpirsingly, haven't dug many beer tabs. I know they drank a plenty though, and evidently handed money out to the kids like crazy.

I'm on vacation all week so I'll be digging up as much as I can.

HH
Ken

Thanks for the reply.
Hope you pull up a bunch on your vacation.

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

have a
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Nice pics, post and finds! Congrats and HH, Mike
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Excellent huntin site kas....
Good luck...
 
Re: Not the "Berg", not the "Shark pit", maybe the, "Eagle." Lots 'o Pics.

Great pictures and finds, Kas! Congrats on the permission to hunt that fantastic site!

Nana :)
 
Looks like you have a great site to Carry you of or a long.time. Keep posting pictures.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom