Nothing like going fishing and reeling in a centuries old Samarai musket...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiro Himawari was fishing in a reservoir in Fukuoka when he accidentally hooked the rusty metal barrel of what looks like a matchlock, a type of musket used in Japan from the 16th to the 19th centuries.

It came up orange with rust, and Himawari initially thought it was just a regular old crowbar. But after using sand to clean some of the surface grime off, he was excited to find that it was, in fact, part of an old rifle. What’s more, he was startled to realize that it could be a historical artifact, since he also discovered some kind of family crest engraved on it.

matchlock1.jpg

matchlock3b-1.jpg

matchlock10-1.jpg

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone needs to add magnet fishing to the type of fishing. heh

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Michigan, we get a great run of steelhead in the rivers that flow into Lake Michigan. Wish a magnet worked on them!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s pretty cool. I wish I could reel in an artifact.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s pretty cool. I wish I could reel in an artifact.

Get ya one of those bad arse magnets and a good line... see water and toss... who knows what ya might find.

I have tried it a few times myself... nothing to write home about... but fun none the less.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be reasonable when you purchase your magnet. Buying one that is stronger than what you can retrieve becomes a problem at that point.:laughing7: Imagine latching onto that B&O RR rail...

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be reasonable when you purchase your magnet. Buying one that is stronger than what you can retrieve becomes a problem at that point.:laughing7: Imagine latching onto that B&O RR rail...

Yeah I saw a few posts on that subject... some of those magnets will give you a serious workout. heh

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone needs to go scuba diving and find the rest of it.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Get ya one of those bad arse magnets and a good line... see water and toss... who knows what ya might find.

I have tried it a few times myself... nothing to write home about... but fun none the less.

I bought the Mr one. We have tried around the docks. I was unable to convince him to use it on the lake. A shame because there are all kinds of wrecks and The Battle of Lake Erie , sometimes called The Battle of Put-In-Bay, which was fought September 10, 1813. When he’s on the lake, it’s all about catching the “Goldeneye.”

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the Mr one. We have tried around the docks. I was unable to convince him to use it on the lake. A shame because there are all kinds of wrecks and The Battle of Lake Erie , sometimes called The Battle of Put-In-Bay, which was fought September 10, 1813. When he’s on the lake, it’s all about catching the “Goldeneye.”

When on the lakes round here...(which is next to never anymore... just salt for me) for me its all about the "gator eyes". heh

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool! It looks like the Maeda Clan kamon or family crest. Only it's about 500 km out of place. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! It looks like the Maeda Clan kamon or family crest. Only it's about 500 km out of place. :icon_scratch:

Problem with that "plum blossom" crest is... ALOT of families had variations of it... that look SO close to each other.... I have seen this exact one on various items.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread