Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been knowing about this "find" for several months, just hearing it with the tones of the MD nearly blew my eardrums. The area was about 3'x6', located just behind the farm house (built in the 1880's), the exact location is next to the septic tank and there are pipes running under the ground, so I was hesitant to try digging. Yesterday, my hubby gave me permission to dig, so I started just to see what was there. Curiosity killing not just me but several others too, we all dug with shovels, using the smaller diggers, we were finding square head nails, broken pottery. Trying to figure out what this big metal thing was, pulling back one sheet of metal I found a "metal plate", so I pulled it off and started cleaning. The plate is copper with the wordings "Carbide Pit Generator; Carbide Capacity 250 Pounds; Lighting Capacity 1/4 Ft Currents; In Correspondence Refer To Model "S" Serial NO 175868; J.B. Colt Company; ___ E. 42nd Street New York, NY" I tried doing some research and found an ad with the exact dimensions of this generator in the For Sale ads. I want to see what this thing is supposed to look like, so I'm not having much luck on researching. I understand that this was the way to light the homes back in the early 1900's.

We folded the metal back down to keep animals & children from falling in, we will try and continue today as time permits. Husband does not want to dig out with the backhoe, due to possible damaging pipes & such surrounding the area. I will try & get pics, but it is just a nasty looking hole in the ground besides that, I maintain the yard and I don't like messes. But, curiosity is killing me. ::)

;) RR

Attachments

• generator (2).jpg
    generator (2).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 930
Upvote 0
Re: Nothing Spectacular

Geeze girl be careful. Everything I've read sounds dangerous. But I'd be just as curious! I'd have asked for the back hoe too ;D. Let us know, carefully!

You know curiosity killed the cat. But then again your a rat so go ahead. :D :D :D Good luck and be careful.
Burdie

See log for Dec 24th.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.intrepidexplorer.net
/photogallery/thumbs5/inside%2520shackeltons%2520hut.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.intrepidexplorer.net/december.htm&h=75&w=100&sz=3&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=Kcl47kIy8wrjHM:&tbnh=62&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcarbide%2Bgenerator%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%
26svnum%3D30%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

He talks of "One cool thing is what they used
for light. Shackeltons expedition used a carbide
generator to produce acetylene.
The acetylene was run trough pipes to gas lamps
for light"

Not much of a photo:

shack.jpg

have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

Did not have the time to continue digging around this pit, but when time permits I will get with it. In the meantime, I appreciate your replies. Yep, curiosity is killing the rat. ;D This is what I found so far...

;) River

Lamp Transaction: For Sale
Name: Debbie Armstrong
Email:[email protected]
Lamp Type:Colt Carbide Pit Generator
Lamp Condition: good,
Date: Thursday, October 3, 2002 at 00:36:11
Lamp Description:
It is a Colt Carbide pit Generator with a capacity of 200 pounds, Model "S" with the COLT trade mark. Built by the J.B. Colt Company not sure what year but I believe it was late 1800's to early 1900's. It was used to light our house and we still have the gas lines in the attic. Our house was built in the 1800's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lamp Transaction: For Sale
Name: Debbie
Email:[email protected]
Lamp Type: Colt Carbide Pit Generator
Date: Wednesday, October 2, 2002 at 23:56:28
Lamp Description:
Carbide generator with COLT trade mark/ model"S" manufactured by the J.B.Colt company in N.Y.,N.Y. 1800's? good condition Please contact me

Plus this 1906 ad on E-Bay

Attachments

• EbayadColt.jpg
    EbayadColt.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 966

That is too cool! I am not sure I could contain my curiousity......hurry, dig! Take pictures!! hehe Definitely be careful but it does sound like a very interesting find for sure!

I don't know what to tell you RR...My Mom told me to quit digging hole's in the yard 40 yr.'s ago,look where that got me....Be careful whatever you do but it sound's like there might be some goodie's laying around too....Keep us posted and good luck!!

It's hot, it's humid and I'm tired. I'm ready to give up on this...not finding anything more than just the square head nails. >:( Dang, I was hoping to find the hidden cache of coins...oh well, maybe next time. :D

Here's the pics...

;) River

Attachments

• pitdig.JPG
    pitdig.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 521
  • pit.jpg
    pit.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 486
  • pitfinds.JPG
    pitfinds.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 503
I can definitely see where you might get a bit fed up with that hole! Of course those of us that are not hot and sweaty and exhausted are still wondering what is in there anyway! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back