Now that I have fallen for the hobby, time for a Vaquero?

fordam3

Jun 26, 2012
Oxford, OH
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am currently using a Bounty Hunter TK4, and while it has done me quite well thus far, it leaves me wanting more in the depth department. After seeing the Vaquero in action via Youtube and whatnot, I'm thinking that it might be a solid intermediate option. I primarily hunt for coins, and I'm under the impression that it will do the job. Does it also fare well in finding gold? Thanks!

Dflint

Tenderfoot
Jul 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck ill sell you my minelab Quattro for 500 bucks !

OP
OP
fordam3

fordam3

Jun 26, 2012
Oxford, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, thanks! Unfortunately, as much as I love that deal, I won't have the money saved until late August/early September.

Dflint

Tenderfoot
Jul 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better get saving! I'm selling it cause I'm getting the ctx 3030

OP
OP
fordam3

fordam3

Jun 26, 2012
Oxford, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oooh good luck with that! I hear nothing but praise for the 3030. Heck -- I would gladly pick one up if I weren't confined to a college student budget.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am currently using a Bounty Hunter TK4, and while it has done me quite well thus far, it leaves me wanting more in the depth department. After seeing the Vaquero in action via Youtube and whatnot, I'm thinking that it might be a solid intermediate option. I primarily hunt for coins, and I'm under the impression that it will do the job. Does it also fare well in finding gold? Thanks!

The Vaquero is a MONSTER machine! You will never "grow out of it," and it will always be a tool in your metal detecting toolbox after you get one. That said, since you live in Ohio (good moderate soil conditions), I would also suggest the Tesoro Cibola, which I have just begun using as my primary coinshooter because of its incredible discrimination capabilities. I have been using the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq as my primary jewelry and gold nugget VLF machine because most other single frequency VLF machines don't even comes close to it for subgram nuggets, or on the beach for small gold and gold chains. It does not discriminate as well as the Cibola however. Two different detectors, for different targets and situations.

If you stay with the hobby, you'll end up owning three-to-six machines that all do different jobs (like golf clubs). The Vaquero is a top-of-the-line VLF metal detector that can do it all on dry land, in shallow fresh water (box is NOT waterproof), or on dry beach sand. The Cibola, is one of THE best in trashy park, playground and dry beach sand situations when looking for rings, coins, bracelets and earrings. Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
fordam3

fordam3

Jun 26, 2012
Oxford, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the cibola info! It does seem like a great option for the conditions with which i'm familiar. so the lobo is a quality option as far as jewelry goes?

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
The Vaquero is a MONSTER machine! You will never "grow out of it," and it will always be a tool in your metal detecting toolbox after you get one. That said, since you live in Ohio (good moderate soil conditions), I would also suggest the Tesoro Cibola, which I have just begun using as my primary coinshooter because of its incredible discrimination capabilities. I have been using the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq as my primary jewelry and gold nugget VLF machine because most other single frequency VLF machines don't even comes close to it for subgram nuggets, or on the beach for small gold and gold chains. It does not discriminate as well as the Cibola however. Two different detectors, for different targets and situations.

If you stay with the hobby, you'll end up owning three-to-six machines that all do different jobs (like golf clubs). The Vaquero is a top-of-the-line VLF metal detector that can do it all on dry land, in shallow fresh water (box is NOT waterproof), or on dry beach sand. The Cibola, is one of THE best in trashy park, playground and dry beach sand situations when looking for rings, coins, bracelets and earrings. Good Luck!

No doubt about the different machines for different days / locations.

Never used a Vaquero, but just this past week narrowed my next Tesoro purchase down to three. The Lobo Super Traq, The Vaquero, and The TeJon. Undecided, and wanting more info, I called Tesoro. Rob and I talked a bit about all three. Get this, he never once tried to sell me more than needed in performance. First we compared the Lobo and Vaquero. He explained both in detail in regards to where I live and how the machines will be used. He constantly recommended the Vaquero. Next we discussed the comparing between the TeJon and Vaquero. His words about buying a TeJon, were that there would be times when "it would be like having a Ferrari that just sits in the garage". What he meant was the Ferrari would be throttled back on many occasions. Again he stuck to his guns about recommending the Vaquero.

The one thing that swayed him, was when I explained that South Florida beaches are constantly MD'ed, and often we deal with the newly pumped sand. So I wanted the ability when needed to get past the boundary layer that others detect too. In other words, letting the Ferrari run when needed.

I opted in for a TeJon. Buying local from a smaller shop, nice to keep a local dealer, and they have given me great service in the past. Hopefully it arrives next week and I'll drive to Pompano and pick it up.

So now, for the water I have the Sand Shark, and for dry sand, and hunting with the wife more, I have the TeJon. I'm guessing she will want to park here Corrolla (Ace 250) and get a Ferrari too once she tries it. Time will tell. She has a Sand Shark also, but the effort of swinging the heavier machine in the surf and digging wet sand is a bit much.

You 'll enjoy it I'm sure. Also, Terry is a wealth of solid info, others too. I appreciate their viewpoints and real world experience.

PK

Last edited:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Lobo Super Traq would a great all around machine for you because the disc mode is a fixed ground balance, which in your soil is fine because you have moderate soil. Then if you wanted to go deep, you can switch over to all-metal and use the auto-ground balance to really tune it to your soil. Trust me when I say you will be digging holes up to your shoulder.

The Tejon is a Vaquero on steroids. There are two Disc controls and they are connected to a three way trigger on the handle, Disc 1, Disc 2, All-metal. This is my favorite feature. The power is kind of like a bull in a china shop. The Vaquero is like the little brother, much more sedate and silent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread