Now This Is More Like It!!, thanks pennsylvania soil!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok in case you didn't know it, I got back from Maryland last night and was displeased with the finds. All I could think about was hitting the Pennsylvania dirt for some more oldies today! I was 1 for 3 in the permission department today and it was a nice old home circa 1910. The guy told me the yard was dug up a few times for various different projects but I figured id give it a shot anyway. My finds weren't earth shattering by any means but this was exactly what I needed. I managed a really cool casing labeled 1876, can that be the date of manufacture?? bullet.jpgplus a 1907 indian, 5 wheats, a small reins guide, a harmonica reed fully intact, 2 mid 90s dog tags, a huge aluminum store token that nearly gave me a heart attack, dirtyback.jpgthought it was a silver dollar at first til I rubbed it a bit, big token.jpgand this weird lion aluminum kids ring, plus this really neat store token for 2 dollars off a suit $19.75 or more,smalltoken.jpg kinda cool, gonna look this one up to see what era its from, im guessing 30s to 40s. Like I said, not earth shattering finds, but just what the doctor ordered!! also got about 6 toy cars from the 80s, and all the junk you see here, check out that old spoon/ladle thing! its HUGE! take.jpgclad.jpgjunk.jpg

Thanks for looking and HH!!

Upvote 16
You have to remember just because its stamped 1876 doesnt mean date of manufacture is 1876.

That's an interesting head stamp... can you post an accurate diameter on it and a side view? I'll try to id it for you

sorry I have no way of measuring it besides this, and I put a quarter by it for comparisonSAM_1314.JPGSAM_1312.JPGSAM_1317.JPG

You have to remember just because its stamped 1876 doesnt mean date of manufacture is 1876.
yes I know, that's pretty much the rule with many things marked with dates, I only ask because it was about 6 inches deep in hard packed soil, so im guessing its a little old?

yes I know, that's pretty much the rule with many things marked with dates, I only ask because it was about 6 inches deep in hard packed soil, so im guessing its a little old?

Yup,I was just guessing about your experience to help you out,no foul intended.As in all life some things arent as they seem.

Yup,I was just guessing about your experience to help you out,no foul intended.As in all life some things arent as they seem.

none taken:thumbsup: I always like the advice/learning I get from here, 2 years on this site has taught me a lot!

sorry if I made it sound like I was offended

I can't find it.... you might want to pm CannonballGuy and ask him to have a look at it
I put it on the what is it forum, thanks for trying anyway!:thumbsup:

Excellent:occasion14:,nope just making sure you werent offended.One of my self imposed reasons for being is to help out with anything i can.

I can't find anything on that headstamp and the primer looks odd, like it maybe blew out or was penetrated by the firing pin. I'll keep looking though.

Well done! Didn't take you long to shake off the sand and get back down to business. :thumbsup:
Those two tokens are awesome! I love finding tokens.
Congrats,
Dug

Well done! Didn't take you long to shake off the sand and get back down to business. :thumbsup:
Those two tokens are awesome! I love finding tokens.
Congrats,
Dug
thanks Dug!
I had a blast on vacation, looking at all the "sites":laughing7: while on the beach wasn't so bad!
but, my detecting went by the wayside and this was just what I needed, Silver #40 would've been nice, but I guess Ill wait for olddude to find that lol!!

nice find! love the tokens! yes, PA soil - things can sink deep where it's that dark rich type soil. HH!

that a good variety you have. Sounds like you had fun!

Glad to see you back posting REAL land based finds. I had to scour all the photos to find the IH penny. I'm still fascinated with them and am amazed that some guys find so many of them they are common place. I love the store token!

Personally, I get just as excited finding tokens like that as much as silver. Yours are very cool, I'm also very partial to Indian Head Cents. To me, that was a great hunt! I'd be very grateful with those finds, congrats CJ!
Here is a link to a good shotgun headstamp id site, maybe you might be able to get it from there?
Shotgun

Those are some very cool finds right there! :occasion14:
The large aluminum token with the eagle on it is beautiful, also like the '1876' shell casing! :o

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back