Oak Island the Strange, the Bizarre, and Maybe the "Truth!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... Nowhere in there does it mention that Vaughn was his executor of his will..
Seems like it would be some good info to have in there with the info on the will...
You found one source of info on Ball that doesn't mention cabbage...
Once again you your comprehension skills prove wanting.
From Samuel Ball's Will:
"Executors Rev Joseph Dimock, Anthony Vaughn and wife Catherine..."
Nor only is cabbage not mentioned in his will , neither is any amount of money listed among his assets, but much to your chagrin, cattle are mentioned, as well as land and various houses and other buildings on his many properties.
You may attempt to dismiss the accuracy of the the narrative account, but Samuel Ball Will stands as proof of assets, whether you accept it or not.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bad I missed that and I did try to find it but no I did not read all that word for word...
Yes his will is proof that he had alot of stuff to leave his wife and butler or what ever he was called... A Will very seldom mentions how the person got all their "stuff". It's only there to divide it up...
It doesn't mention how much money he had but it does say ihe leaves his Real and Personal Estate to his wife. Which would include MONEY... We just don't know how much that was and never will..

He was well off however he did it. Found treasure, sold 1000 heads of cabbage a year, or 1000 pounds of beef. As is now you do not own over 100 acres of land without being wealthy. Assuming you actual bought it and it wasn't given to you... The average person in America with average income which is around $45,000 in NC can't afford to buy 100 acres of land. In my area that would be roughly $300,000 or more depending on location... He had over 100 acres and had a butler. How many of ya'll have that... I sure as heck don't and make more then the average in NC

Here is your opportunity to tell us how you think he got all that stuff, land, buildings etc from being a farmer regardless of what he farmed...

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... Take S. Ball. On his tax records it says the land is for farming but farming what.
How do we really know he farmed cabbage. From old stories right?
Same as with cattle. Did he really have cattle?... We also have NO PROOF he ever used oxen. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't...
The cattle are not from "old stories" but are clearly mentioned in Ball's Will, and owning cattle gave him access of having oxen to plough his 36 acre fields along with his servant, Issac Butler, who is also mentioned in Ball's Will.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... Ball supposedly paid Vaughn 5 pounds for an island which was about $22 back then. ( British Pound was worth about $4.44 in 1800 ) seems pretty cheap for a whole island but who knows...
You seem to look at today's land prices in your POST#3742 to judge Ball's wealth, when you have already provided the actual amount paid for one lot "back then".

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
He had a military commission and soldier's pay-out before he farmed cabbage. His commanding officer - Major Ward - also indulged his soldiers in allowing them to keep plunder.
As noted above, Samuel Ball was NOT pecuniary poor, while serving under British Major Ward raids and looting of American Patriots homes and sharing in the spoils.
Ward was known to pay bounties to those who killed American colonials to whom he owned money.
Samuel Bell did not arrive in Canada penniless.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And after 200+ years of not producing a single piece of evidence supporting the fictional treasure on hoax island, show fanboys are talking about cabbage in their support of the hoax.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF wikitree is all knowing might as well throw in wikisite
https://oakislandwiki.com/index.php?title=Samuel_Ball

It mentions the cabbage, apparently there is some discrepency in his timeline as to when he actually got to the OI area.. here is that part
The census of 1791 says he was a farmer on Oak Island at that time, but his history does not back this up. If he left the US at the end of the war, 1784, spent two years in Shelburne, twenty-three more years in Chester, he would then have to be living on Oak Island no earlier than 1808 or 1809, ten years or so after the discovery of the famous Money Pit. Unfortunately, the history of black settlers was not very accurate and often lacked details. When he died at home on December 14, 1846 at the age of 81 years, those who knew Samuel Ball could say that he was a “good man”. He left behind a legacy of assistance to others and made provision in his will for them. He had at least one grandson, and was so proud of his adopted surname that in his will he declared, “None shall possess the same (land) unless they take the name Ball”. He was also thought to be Lunenburg County’s only black Loyalist. Those who recorded old memories reported that in his house, one could view silhouettes of he and Mrs. Ball.

within there it also mentions He left behind a legacy of assistance to others and made provision in his will for them. Not sure what that means but sounds like he had money to be giving away like a philanthropist.
Here again most don't do that unless you are WEALTHY...
Does mention that at some point he was given 4 acres..

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Samuel Ball Sr.jpg Samuel Ball Sr2.jpg

Attachments

• Samuel Ball Sr..jpg
    Samuel Ball Sr..jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 39

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Franklin, for sharing Diana Jean Muir's version of Samuel Ball's life.
Hopefully it is more reliable than her alleged found Henty Sinclair Templar Journals.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With over 40 years experience LDS research in genealogy, I believe her research is highly commendable. And the journals are highly accurate if you had all the books.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
With over 40 years experience LDS research in genealogy, I believe her research is highly commendable. And the journals are highly accurate if you had all the books.
LDS genealogy does have an agenda, and as for the journals, they are an expanded rewrite of the Zeno Manuscript which has been proven to be a hoax professional historians.

PS: Isn't Muir the one that claims Weems and the Founding Fathers removed the treasure from Oak Island, bringing it to the US to fund the Revolution?

Last edited:

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LDS genealogy does have an agenda, and as for the journals, they are an expanded rewrite of the Zeno Manuscript which has been proven to be a hoax professional historians.

PS: Isn't Muir the one that claims Weems and the Founding Fathers removed the treasure from Oak Island, bringing it to the US to fund the Revolution?

Why do folks still use fictional history like muir’s to attempt to back up their statements?

Using absolute nonsense as a source removes all credibility.....

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who are listed in his will that is posted on this site:
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Ball-10682
This concept of Ball's great wealth seems to be based on current expectations of wealth, and not on early 1800's standards.

I'm guessing here but back in his day there were probably very few philanthropist compared to now.. If he had money to be setting up what we would call a trust fund today to be giving money to people/charities of his choice after his death he was wealthy in his time no different then now... Sure he might not have had millions of dollars like current philantropist do now but back then $10,000 would be about equal to a million or more today.. can you imagine if the average in come in 1800 was $16 a week $800 and change in a year if he had 1000's he was wealthy by any standards then or now with inflation acounted for...

and now that I think about it. Ball supposedly bought a 3 acre island for roughly $22 ( I still bet he actually paid more ) but with the average weekly wage back then being $16 and you could buy 3 acres for $22. Who on here now can buy 3 acreas of land for less then 2 weeks pay?? Heck who can buy 1 acre for 1 weeks pay..

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out of curosity - I have 20 acres. I checked the county GIS and it is accessed for 60% of my bi-weekly take home pay per acre. Or 1.7 acres for my bi-weekly pay. Not quite 3, but then NY always did have a higher property cost. ;-)

And I have access to rail, highway and rivers.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of curosity - I have 20 acres. I checked the county GIS and it is accessed for 60% of my bi-weekly take home pay per acre. Or 1.7 acres for my bi-weekly pay. Not quite 3, but then NY always did have a higher property cost. ;-)

And I have access to rail, highway and rivers.

Gidday Charlie

Forgive my ignorance but what is county GIS?

I live in another country is that land rates?

Crow

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acre lots around me in middle of NC are going for $30,000 an acre on what used to be a cow pasture/farmland... and still using the 80 year old gravel road...No city sewer, gas lines etc. Can get city water line run in though.. Farmland is chaper but it's just a rezoning away from being worth much more...

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting back to Oak island

It appears as you can see Samuel Ball was paying the lowest rate of tax. Most likely reflecting on their low income level for 1791 at least.

attachment.php

By 1795 it appears not much had changed

attachment.php

Records courtesy of Nova Scotia Archives.

Census and poll tax records .A census is an official count or survey of a population that typically records details about individuals, while a poll tax records the names of heads of household in a given geographical area, for the purposes of collecting taxes based on property value or livestock owned.

Well for those dates it seems of 4 years no great turn around in fortune at least.

Crow

Attachments

• lune county poll tax rewcords 1791.JPG
    lune county poll tax rewcords 1791.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 122
  • samula ball 1795.JPG
    samula ball 1795.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 118

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread