Oak Island: Was something even there.

NewAge

Jan 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lets see what FinderKeeper comes up with.

"We just returned from New Ross and are working with the St. Mary's University in Halifax NS, They are looking at what we found at New Ross and we hope to go public next week."......FindersKeepers May 24th 2016

"Today we sent out DVD's to Culture & Heritage and they will get them on Tuesday".......FindersKeepers June 3rd 2016

I wouldn't have much hope in what FindersKeepers found because of this next post

"We do just what we are told to do when we locate anything we think is of historical value. We call Heritage and they come in and look at what we have Ya that never happen. They say they have been to New Ross many times over the years and found nothing yet they never been on site when I was in town."......FindersKeepers June 27th 2016

Whatever FK submitted was not accepted as worthy for further investigation.And last I knew they were following ley lines to a vortex where a Stonehenge like structure once stood some where else in NS.

You would have thought once they drilled and dropped a camera down into one of the Templar made tunnels or vaults they found.That would have drawn some interest.
Pretty sure a video such as this was not included on the DVD they sent to Heritage.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're right. I don't think she does. She does, however, mention Celts, Phoenicians, Norse, Scots, Charles I's men, and Cromwell's men being there (not to mention leprechauns and ghosts), and that the site was an important location for over 3500 years ... with not a single scrap of evidence that any of the above were there. Wacky enough without Templars.

That particular book does not mention your leprechauns and ghosts, but it does show many old interesting maps, and imoho it is quite interesting, although I also do not agree with much of it. Did you just now look it over, or have you actually read it earlier?
For any who may be interested "The Secret City" by Joan Hope is on-line.
Cheers, Loki

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That particular book does not mention your leprechauns and ghosts, but it does show many old interesting maps, and imoho it is quite interesting, although I also do not agree with much of it. Did you just now look it over, or have you actually read it earlier?
For any who may be interested "The Secret City" by Joan Hope is on-line.
Cheers, Loki

I've thumbed through it a few times, and have taken enough from it to know that it is pure nonsense... ridiculous on the face of it. I'll take a look at her other book in a bit. Right now I'm once again trying to get through Basket Stories. It's torturous, but I'm a bit of a masochist. The way he mangles Irish mythology in order to fit his beliefs makes me want to punch stuff. Hard. It was funny, though, when he stated that Icarus flew from Crete to Cape Breton and founded a race of Minoan / Mi'kmaw people.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Never Cast Your Pearls Before Swine...Or Debate Your Theories with Them!

Casting Pearls 2.jpg

Cast Pearls.jpg

Casting Pearls.jpg

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool lightshow Sasquash....they had good ones in the late 60's to when I used to see them in a converted bowling alley in San Diego...300 people instead of 300,000...lol

The song and message? Not so much, not even one week in and the things many here wanted changed are heading that way...Guy's a mover and a shaker...and i'm glad he is...

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robot...

Sorry, I tried to listen to that video....Had to put a WALL between my pc and it...that guy sucks...LOL

I mean i'm old....but not THAT old...Geeze

Pippin

Jan 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loki I thought that Joan Harris wrote two books. I found the first one quite good but in the second , well to be kind, I think she was troubled a bit. With Joan I think she found something but wasn't sure what it was so came up with all these different scenarios to try to make one fit or stick. By all accounts she was a good person, very intelligent and just had a dream of discovering something. If she had just stuck with the first book though.

I didn't think much of the thesis by Vanessa Smith. Not because it wasn't well written, that's not for me to judge , but because it appears to be somewhat of a hit piece. I think she went into it with a preconceived notion and I was disappointed in her trying to make Joan out to be some flake. It reads like that that was the objective of the paper.

At the time Vanessa wasn't an archeologist but a part time student and the owner of a book shop. She didn't dig anything but just interviewed Joan. Neither did the other two real archeologists. So I'm of the impression that the site has never had a formal dig. Someone found some gold dust and old charcoal that was dated to 1500BC . I believe its was Gerald Keddy who did that and if he could be tracked down maybe you could find out something. I'll attach the thesis if anyone is interested in reading it. Even the title bothers me.

Saint Mary's University |

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool lightshow Sasquash....they had good ones in the late 60's to when I used to see them in a converted bowling alley in San Diego...300 people instead of 300,000...lol

The song and message? Not so much, not even one week in and the things many here wanted changed are heading that way...Guy's a mover and a shaker...and i'm glad he is...

From my city in 1971

pinkfly-71quebec-city1.jpg pinkfly-71quebec-city2.jpg

2000 people , $5 ticket

Last edited:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loki I thought that Joan Harris wrote two books. I found the first one quite good but in the second , well to be kind, I think she was troubled a bit. With Joan I think she found something but wasn't sure what it was so came up with all these different scenarios to try to make one fit or stick. By all accounts she was a good person, very intelligent and just had a dream of discovering something. If she had just stuck with the first book though.

I didn't think much of the thesis by Vanessa Smith. Not because it wasn't well written, that's not for me to judge , but because it appears to be somewhat of a hit piece. I think she went into it with a preconceived notion and I was disappointed in her trying to make Joan out to be some flake. It reads like that that was the objective of the paper.

At the time Vanessa wasn't an archeologist but a part time student and the owner of a book shop. She didn't dig anything but just interviewed Joan. Neither did the other two real archeologists. So I'm of the impression that the site has never had a formal dig. Someone found some gold dust and old charcoal that was dated to 1500BC . I believe its was Gerald Keddy who did that and if he could be tracked down maybe you could find out something. I'll attach the thesis if anyone is interested in reading it. Even the title bothers me.

Saint Mary's University |

I fully agree with you Pippin, as for that other person you mention, I think that was her student thesis. No, the site has never had a formal dig, and I'm afraid with all of the negative publicity the area has received it might not ever happen. But, there are other possibilities and some of us are on the verge of connecting the dots.

Cheers, Loki

NewAge

Jan 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Birgitta Wallace is a pretty high profile archeologist . If you can open this link it mentions her and also the new Viking dig in Newfoundland. It seems that they aren't sure if there's anything there.

On the trail of Vikings: Latest search for Norse in North America - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News

She also worked on the L'Anse aux Meadows site.

Loki, I know you don't like to answer questions about your premise but have you reached out to her for some input on the Joan Harris site while you were writing your book?Especially why L'Anse aux Meadows was confirmed and Joan Harris's was not.Her findings would be a valuable resource for anyone wanting to present a valid theory.

How about Charles Lindsay?...Have you spoken with him?

Maybe it is a good thing you put publishing your book on hold if you didn't contact either of these people.

Last edited:

Pippin

Jan 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loki thanks for the reply. I'm assuming the Portuguese your referring to the João Álvares Fagundes settlement along the Clyburn River in Ingonish Cape Breton. I believe a settlement was attempted in 1521 or there abouts and lasted a year or two until the harsh winters and hostile locals forced them to abandon. But to be fair the winters there were far more severe than the winters in New Ross. They would have been landlocked until mid to late May with first the bay freezing over and then the pack ice moving in. They had too much stacked against them. As for the Basque they had seasonal shore camps and I have on good authority that they were here much earlier than 1500.

New Ross is another story though and I can see that working out. Its on the edge of the Bay of Fundy snow effect so although it gets quite a bit of snow its not as bad as say at Aldersville further inland. If you think of it, it would make a great place to get lost at. Just enough inland so that camp smoke isn't spotted from the bay, surprisingly it has good soil, the river would have seasonal runs of eel and salmon and enough wild game to get by for a few years. The key would be getting along with the Mi'kmaq. If they did they wouldn't have a problem at all. So yes I can see them picking that spot.

So you feel that they stayed for a 100 years or so and then when things got a little dicey decided to move camp and set up in Port Royal. Can I assume that they would have brought women with them? Then I imagine they would have been assimilated into the local First Nation population. Have you done any DNA research on the hapolgroups of the Mi'kmaq or the early Acadian women. Acadian oral and written history tells us that many of the early women were First Nation. However recent MTDNA findings are coming up with European hapolgroups for many of them. But the thing that interests me is how unusual these hapolgroups are. I'm talking about Orkney, Basque Druze hapolgroups. It could be admixtures from these Templars or others entering the local population. Maybe you should look into that.

Here's something else to think about. When Champlain and his crew first touched down in Port Royal he was met by the great chief of the Mi'kmaq Henri Membertou. Its was a cordial welcome and it opened the way for the great friendship between the Acadians and the Mi'kmaq of Port Royal. I don't know but it appears that this seems a bit unusual, almost like a meeting of long lost family. This quote I'm attaching describes the appearance of Membertou.

"Father Biard, one of the Jesuits who came to Port-Royal in 1611 wrote: “This was the greatest, most renowned and most formidable [native person] within the memory of man; of splendid physique, taller and larger-limbed than is usual among them; bearded like a Frenchman, although scarcely any of the others have hair upon the chin; grave and reserved; feeling a proper sense of dignity for his position as commander.”

He looks like a Frenchman eh.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Not To Know The Heart and Soul of a Country...Is Not To Know Her At All!

Robot...

Sorry, I tried to listen to that video....Had to put a WALL between my pc and it...that guy sucks...LOL

I mean i'm old....but not THAT old...Geeze

Lets Try Another...

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You Probably Never Saw Me!

While you walked along Merida’s, Paseo De Montejo on a balmy 40 degrees Celsius evening, while I roared past on my Yamaha V Max with a Bochita Linda Girl tightly clenching to my back, hair flying in the air, like an Arabian Stallion.
Yamaha V Max.jpg
Or Maybe

At the late evening Restaurant that offered grilled Scallions sautéed in Worchester sauce served with fresh tortillas, hot sauce and ice cold beer.

Maybe you saw me.

Late at night when the Hot Dog Carts came out, like Vampires that can only be seen at night, serving up dogs with mayonnaise, onions, mustard or whatever you wished to put on them.
Mexican Hot Dog Carts.jpg

Could it have been?

At the Wheeled Ice Server Trolley, who sold only Ice Cold “Bolis for a mere .25 cents, which one could bite into and hold up and defy the unbearable heat.
Bolis.GIF

Or possibly

At a mid-afternoon Botana Show
Yucatan Botana.jpg

Where Cubans come to present their mega dancing shows and free Yucatan food is offered

No unfortunately, you may never have seen me, or experienced the true Heart and Soul of Mexico, nor shared these Memories of Mexico for a lifetime!

Last edited:

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great area to live or visit....

Easy to get to from here and less than flying to California for a week for room+flight...

May have to head down that way this year for a week or so.....

Best area to find a quaint rustic hotel? Best time of year to visit for cooler weather and local happenings, street festivals etc..?

Shoot me a PM if you can fill me in on expat status, local housing costs, etc....When wife retires we're thinking of moving...Looking for more of a village than a high rise city...Are Harley Davidson's allowed or will I have to buy one of them off brands? LOLOL

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loki thanks for the reply. I'm assuming the Portuguese your referring to the João Álvares Fagundes settlement along the Clyburn River in Ingonish Cape Breton. I believe a settlement was attempted in 1521 or there abouts and lasted a year or two until the harsh winters and hostile locals forced them to abandon. But to be fair the winters there were far more severe than the winters in New Ross. They would have been landlocked until mid to late May with first the bay freezing over and then the pack ice moving in. They had too much stacked against them. As for the Basque they had seasonal shore camps and I have on good authority that they were here much earlier than 1500.

New Ross is another story though and I can see that working out. Its on the edge of the Bay of Fundy snow effect so although it gets quite a bit of snow its not as bad as say at Aldersville further inland. If you think of it, it would make a great place to get lost at. Just enough inland so that camp smoke isn't spotted from the bay, surprisingly it has good soil, the river would have seasonal runs of eel and salmon and enough wild game to get by for a few years. The key would be getting along with the Mi'kmaq. If they did they wouldn't have a problem at all. So yes I can see them picking that spot.

So you feel that they stayed for a 100 years or so and then when things got a little dicey decided to move camp and set up in Port Royal. Can I assume that they would have brought women with them? Then I imagine they would have been assimilated into the local First Nation population. Have you done any DNA research on the hapolgroups of the Mi'kmaq or the early Acadian women. Acadian oral and written history tells us that many of the early women were First Nation. However recent MTDNA findings are coming up with European hapolgroups for many of them. But the thing that interests me is how unusual these hapolgroups are. I'm talking about Orkney, Basque Druze hapolgroups. It could be admixtures from these Templars or others entering the local population. Maybe you should look into that.

Here's something else to think about. When Champlain and his crew first touched down in Port Royal he was met by the great chief of the Mi'kmaq Henri Membertou. Its was a cordial welcome and it opened the way for the great friendship between the Acadians and the Mi'kmaq of Port Royal. I don't know but it appears that this seems a bit unusual, almost like a meeting of long lost family. This quote I'm attaching describes the appearance of Membertou.

"Father Biard, one of the Jesuits who came to Port-Royal in 1611 wrote: “This was the greatest, most renowned and most formidable [native person] within the memory of man; of splendid physique, taller and larger-limbed than is usual among them; bearded like a Frenchman, although scarcely any of the others have hair upon the chin; grave and reserved; feeling a proper sense of dignity for his position as commander.”

He looks like a Frenchman eh.

I don't premise them setting up in Port Royal, that was only Champlain's group, nearby but not there. I also doubt the Templars had any women with them as they were supposed to be celibate, although I'm sure that wouldn't take long to undo. As i mentioned (and you did also) French surnames were everywhere in the First Nations population as white settlers arrived and it could be assumed that as you also mentioned they simply assimilated into the local populations. Yes, I have read about Membertou, it is quite a story and you may be correct, a meeting between long lost family members.
It seems like I have written to you before, is that possible?

If you get a chance check out the "Coconut Fibre Thread" I'm starting!

Cheers, Loki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread