Odd box of nickels...

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went to the bank with a $100 bill, and was debating between nickels or dimes... I only have two more dimes to finish my books (2009P, 1971), and then I would just be looking for silver and 2009's... Nickels on the other hand, I would be looking for Buffalos, silver, and a handful of book fillers. So, right as the teller asked what she could do for me, I decided on a box of nickels.

Got home, and was fairly excited, since the last box gave me a Buffalo, two 2009D and book fillers. So I opened the box, and immediately noticed something odd. All of the ends that were showing looks REALLY new... so I grabbed on and looked, 2013D. Grabbed a different roll, 2013D on both ends... Wife and I decided to just go through it and hope for the best. We ended up using a pretty simple technique... 2013D in one bucket, and everything else in another. We ended up with $94.95 in the 2013D bucket and $5.05 in the everything else bucket... And unfortunately none of them were ones we needed for our books, no silver, and no buffalos...

Something like this happen to anyone else??

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. There were just a lot of new coins dumped into the hopper with some older coins. The next box rolled were probably all 2013Ds.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Fairly common. I will get a bunch of new boxes a year. Sucks when it's a big order. Try switching out 20 dimes boxes between many different banks. So fun to say the least

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
partial solid boxes happen to me all the time. I have a nickel box to dump right now, about 15% old and 85% new nickels, I won't bother searching the remaining 30 rolls, its not worth my time.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes it worse is when the teller doesn't understand the concept of SWITCHING out the box for a different one :tongue3:,
Fairly common. I will get a bunch of new boxes a year. Sucks when it's a big order. Try switching out 20 dimes boxes between many different banks. So fun to say the least

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Happens to me often. I just ask to see the box, and if it's the type with the holes on the TOP, then if they are all NEW they will look soooo shinny. If it appears that they are dingy dirty looking, take those for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread