What's new

odd statehood quarter silver or error or what?

phrostie

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2008
Messages
534
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nap Town
Sorry to bother with this question, but I felt the need today to start searching quarters. It happened when I decided to buy quarters yesterday and searched them on the way to work...finding a 52-S!!! So I was like, this is easy so I'll buy more!! Well I found a 2003-D today that from the edge appears all silver, not worn or anything. I don't think it's silver, but could it be on a canadian planchet? Where are the canadian coins minted? Regardless it's weird, I'd just like to know more about it. The edge though looks more like Canadian quarters edges.

Thanks,

DD
 
Upvote 0
Must provide photo's.

There can be silver proof's

I doubt it's a Canadian planchet.

Does it sound Silver?

Mojo
 
My camera is not good enough to capture the edge color, but it is very similar to the canadian quarter look. It does not have the same sound as a traditional silver quarter, and is not quite the same (although closer) to the sound of a regular quarter. It is an Alabama quarter. I've never seen anything like it, especially after looking at the edges of the statehood quarters.

Very odd, I'll try to take a highspeed photo tomorrow, but there is not a bit of the traditional 'clad' color on it.
 
It's plated. Not Canadian. Canadian coins are minted in Canada.
 
I have seen this on many clad coins. The copper sandwich effect isn't evident and you get an all nickel rim.
 
often when I cannot read the date and it looks silver I will do the sandpaper test.

just take a piece of sandpaper and run the edge over the copper will show up very fast if it does not you have silver...

I know it lowers the value of the coin but most of the ones I do it on are just junk and hopping they turn into junk silver
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom