Odd wooden, round display - Really no other clues

Jul 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this up at an estate sale because it was only $5 and I have never seen one. I have no clue what it is nor does anyone else on the web. I have gotten dozens of suggestions such as pipe stand, communion tray etc. Nothing has checked out. It is 100% wood. The middle piece seems to work as a handle but I may be wrong. The holes are slightly larger than my thumb. The bottom piece has been routed to the same pattern as the top as if it was to support whatever went in the top hole from tipping over. Diameter is right at 18" and base height is right at 4". Any help is greatly appreciated.

20140720_001644[1].jpg 20140720_001710[1].jpg 20140720_001656[1].jpg

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I just realized the subject of this forum. I have goofed.

welcome to Tnet, you have not goofed,in whats it,we ID lots of things, dug or not dug, or not Md
sometimes it takes awhile, for responses,or WAGS, or solves

i noticed if you group the holes in 3, 2 inside,1 outside, you get a bowling ball hole pattern
not sure how helpful that is

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
looks like it could hold test tubes, the offset holes for easy pick up

Upvote 0

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lazy Susan. It is a type of turn table. If it turns using the handle? Possible spice rack. Or I might be off. Question- does it turn by moving the handle? Looks like only the inside part moves if it rotates at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it is a vintage pen display rack used in stores.

Steve

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure does look like a communion tray to me. The size seems right as well as the center area for the Eucharist.

GG~

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought from the size of the holes was a test tube holder, though I can't find any examples like yours, only wooden blocks or racks that were used in labs and in high school chemistry classes from the 1800s and up into the 1950s, most today are re-purposed as pen/pencil, or tooth brush holders.

il_570xN.191882824.jpg

il_570xN.526848369_jrqo.jpg

il_570xN.266138993.jpg

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
communion tray1.jpg communiontray2.jpg

Comtray02_(Medium)__61081_std.jpg 20140720_001644[1].jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It isn't for communion - the top and bottom are cheap plywood w/o any padding.

Anything with a religious purpose is going to have a higher quality veneer or be made of solid wood with good padding on the bottom.

If this were made for test tubes, it would have a better handle.

My guess: a tool holder made by a hobbyist creating something useful out of scrap wood while honing his skill. It appears to be constructed very well, yet is ugly as the maker used plywood for the top and a choice wood (walnut?) for the handle.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder what size is the diameter of the holes ? Communion glasses are 3/4" diameter.
Nothing wrong with taking communion from a homemade tray.......

Ever been to a small Church in the country?

* The depth does seem wrong for a communion tray, plus I see that the bottom has been routed to accept the botton of whatever is set into the holes. Communion glasses are not that tall.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the construction is not of high standards.chips in ply around holes were shellac coated without being sanded.you can see the football shaped filler in ply on bottom...fairly modern.likey a retail display,asian origin.
Areas for research...tea sampler..fragrance set..apothecary display..spice samples.etc.

my simple guess
cheers

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting the way the inside and outside bands are cut with a tongue and groove pattern.

Upvote 0

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to me this item deserves a little more respect than being cheaply made modern object
Just my opinion
I don't think we have enough info on this item.
can we see a few pics of the wood on the sides
the wood on the inside circle
is it a lazy Suzan? does the bottom rack move?
Is the wood on the inside round and outside a laminate?
Turned?
I like this piece
and no, I do not have any relationship to the person posting this item
Just my opinion
Brady

Upvote 0

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really don't know what it is (outside of communion tray). But it does give me a great idea. What if this type device could be mounted in the refrigerator door loaded down with your favorite beer (Coors Light) and it rotated externally outside/through the frig door. I mean an entire shelf dedicated to this. No since wasting time opening the door. Just load the devise with bottles or cans (bottles) and swing around. Even have a yellow warning (only 2 left) on one station. Red warning on the last one. Then you'll have to open the door and restock (gotta do what ya have to do).

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread