Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post a pic of both sides of your coin? 'Specimen' has several meanings in coin collecting; one may be 'play money', another is of very high quality.
Don in SoCal.

More details with pictures here:

OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
Can you post a pic of both sides of your coin? 'Specimen' has several meanings in coin collecting; one may be 'play money', another is of very high quality.
Don in SoCal.
I've never seen play money labeled specimen, or at least that I can remember anyways. Everything I've googled and found on play money have all said copy. Im relatively new to the coin stuff, especially foreign coins.aside from the basics silver and American coins I'm somewhat clueless lol

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aaah! Now this makes sense. 'Numista' says it's a Mardi-Gras token from New Orleans. The kind of thing thrown from the floats, I assume.

Specimen.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's the coin it mimics:

London Coins : A165 : Lot 2012 : Roman Ae Sestertius Trajan 104-107AD RIC 564. RCV 3196, Obverse: Head right, laureate, with slight d...
img.php

Roman Ae Sestertius Trajan 104-107AD RIC 564. RCV 3196, Obverse: Head right, laureate, with slight drapery on far shoulder [AD. IMP CAES NERVAE] TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TRP COS [ ], Reverse: Dacia seated left in attitude of mourning, on a pile of arms SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI, with trophy before, SC in exergue below.
Don in SoCal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread