Anyone ever seen this before

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
So I dug this up earlier. I'm not sure if it is silver or aluminum. It is non magnetic. The odd thing is the wording. It doesn't say copy or play money but it does have the word specimen on it. Any opinions

Attachments

• 20230915_192659.jpg
    20230915_192659.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 371
  • 20230915_192642.jpg
    20230915_192642.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 223
Upvote 18

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A specimen is a sample of something. I would think it is a copy of some Roman or ancient coin.

hey I found it! Worth $20 according to this seller:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Haven’t seen one of those before, but it’s loosely copied from a coin of Trajan. There are some blunders in the legend, which is supposed to read:

IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P, short for “Imperator, Caesar, Nervae Traiano Augustus, Germanicus, Dacicus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate, Consul Quintum, Pater Patriae” translated as “Supreme commander (Imperator), Caesar, of Nerva Trajan, emperor (Augustus), conqueror of the Germans, conqueror of the Dacians, high priest, holder of tribunician power, consul for the fifth time, father of the nation”.

The reverse has a mourning Dacia seated on pile of arms before a tropaeum (trophy) and the legend S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI, short for “Senatus Populusque Romanus Optimo Principi” translated as “The senate and the Roman people to the best of princes” with SC in the exergue for “Senatus Consulto” (indicating that it was an official coin, authorised by the Roman Senate - the original, that is). Similar to this dupondius, struck (in bronze) between AD 108-110:

Trajan.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
Interesting. Haven’t seen one of those before, but it’s loosely copied from a coin of Trajan. There are some blunders in the legend, which is supposed to read:

IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P, short for “Imperator, Caesar, Nervae Traiano Augustus, Germanicus, Dacicus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate, Consul Quintum, Pater Patriae” translated as “Supreme commander (Imperator), Caesar, of Nerva Trajan, emperor (Augustus), conqueror of the Germans, conqueror of the Dacians, high priest, holder of tribunician power, consul for the fifth time, father of the nation”.

The reverse has a mourning Dacia seated on pile of arms before a tropaeum (trophy) and the legend S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI, short for “Senatus Populusque Romanus Optimo Principi” translated as “The senate and the Roman people to the best of princes” with SC in the exergue for “Senatus Consulto” (indicating that it was an official coin, authorised by the Roman Senate - the original, that is). Similar to this dupondius, struck (in bronze) between AD 108-110:

View attachment 2105357
So this is where I'm getting confused. Aside from the possibility of it being counterfeit. The word specimen basically means less minted than proof coins or a trial and error type of thing? With the letters SC does that mean it was actually mint made as a commerative piece?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this is where I'm getting confused. Aside from the possibility of it being counterfeit. The word specimen basically means less minted than proof coins or a trial and error type of thing? With the letters SC does that mean it was actually mint made as a commerative piece?

No, It's not good enough to pass as a counterfeit, as well as being the wrong size and the wrong metal. It's just loosely copied from a Roman coin and, as I said, has errors in the legend. The 'SC' letters are commonly found on Roman coins (and have been copied from a genuine example) but have no particular meaning in a modern context.

Quite why it has the word "specimen" on it, I have no idea. On true replicas (which this is not) there's often a legal requirement for such coins to be marked with a word such as "copy", "reproduction" or whatever but I've never seen one marked "specimen".

In the coin world, the word usually denotes something made to a higher standard of finish than usual, or an example produced to showcase what the final version will look like and/or familiarise people with something new. It's difficult to see how that would apply here, although I have seen some bank tokens produced in loose imitation of Roman coins. I don't think that's what you have though, and would assume it's some kind of novelty or souvenir.

OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
No, It's not good enough to pass as a counterfeit, as well as being the wrong size and the wrong metal. It's just loosely copied from a Roman coin and, as I said, has errors in the legend. The 'SC' letters are commonly found on Roman coins (and have been copied from a genuine example) but have no particular meaning in a modern context.

Quite why it has the word "specimen" on it, I have no idea. On true replicas (which this is not) there's often a legal requirement for such coins to be marked with a word such as "copy", "reproduction" or whatever but I've never seen one marked "specimen".

In the coin world, the word usually denotes something made to a higher standard of finish than usual, or an example produced to showcase what the final version will look like and/or familiarise people with something new. It's difficult to see how that would apply here, although I have seen some bank tokens produced in loose imitation of Roman coins. I don't think that's what you have though, and would assume it's some kind of novelty or souvenir.
That makes sense to me now . The souvenir part makes sense being that it was found near an old antique shop.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also posted on your other thread. It makes sense now. 'Numista' says it's a Mardi-Gras token from New Orleans. The kind of thing thrown from the floats, I assume.

Specimen.jpg

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I dug this up earlier. I'm not sure if it is silver or aluminum. It is non magnetic. The odd thing is the wording. It doesn't say copy or play money but it does have the word specimen on it. Any opinions
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
Also posted on your other thread. It makes sense now. 'Numista' says it's a Mardi-Gras token from New Orleans. The kind of thing thrown from the floats, I assume.

View attachment 2105462
I guess I can save it for next year's celebration!

danielg68

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2020
Norfolk Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5G, Garratt AT Pro with Nell Storm 12" Coil and standard 8" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I dug one of these yesterday. In Norfolk Va. From what I can research, its a New Orleans Mardi Gras Token. The Numista site has it under Exonumia, with a rarity of 90 out of 100. I cannot find many images or examples of it for sale anywhere, so I would say it is quite rare. Good Find1

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread moved. "Today's Finds:"are for actual very recent Finds....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, my apologies, I did not notice it was a bump of an old thread, thought it was a recent post and saw the date on the pictures being old.

Last 3 posts will disappear.....

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's some kind of novelty or souvenir.
Definitly this... I dug a LOT of Roman coins in Spain years ago and Romans did NOT make anything like this !!!
Clearly VERY modern in its design and manufacture... although I too have never seen anything like it...
Considering that its probably aluminum, and in the condition that it's in, a very recent production, (within the last 10-20 years)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread