What's new

Oddball piece of metal

Still Waters

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2009
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hello,

Dug this oddity in an old field today. Both sides are nearly identical when you flip it like a coin. You'll notice the circles are not exactly in the same places on each side. Leads me to believe this was a handmade piece. It appears to be a lion in the square in the bottom of each side.

Sounded like an indian head penny
15mm tall
13mm wide
3mm thick

Looking for any opinions on what this might be. Thank you for your help.
Still Waters
 

Attachments

  • oddity.webp
    oddity.webp
    16.3 KB · Views: 508
Actually a 'Penny' Weight or Bullion weight (not for coins)
 
Upvote 0
Thank you for the information you guys. I am amazed you identified it so quickly. The weight of this piece is 4.4 to 4.5 grams. I wonder what it was used as a counterweight for. Im still not certain about the fine details, but having it narrowed down is sweet.
Thank you.
Still Waters
 
Upvote 0
Still Waters said:
Thank you for the information you guys. I am amazed you identified it so quickly. The weight of this piece is 4.4 to 4.5 grams. I wonder what it was used as a counterweight for. Im still not certain about the fine details, but having it narrowed down is sweet.
Thank you.
Still Waters
3 dwt (pennyweight)= 4.66552 g http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/pennyweights-to-grams.htm

Im just guessing, but could it be? You have 3 dots. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Still Waters said:
Thank you for the information you guys. I am amazed you identified it so quickly. The weight of this piece is 4.4 to 4.5 grams. I wonder what it was used as a counterweight for. Im still not certain about the fine details, but having it narrowed down is sweet.
Thank you.
Still Waters
3 dwt (pennyweight)= 4.66552 g http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/pennyweights-to-grams.htm

Im just guessing, but could it be? You have 3 dots. :dontknow:

Pretty damn good guess. Im sure it didn't get heavier after its time in the soil. Most likely it became lighter by a hair. Nice observation there :).
Still Waters
 
Upvote 0
Still Waters said:
Thank you for the information you guys. I am amazed you identified it so quickly. The weight of this piece is 4.4 to 4.5 grams. I wonder what it was used as a counterweight for. Im still not certain about the fine details, but having it narrowed down is sweet.
Thank you.
Still Waters

Bullion weights were for weighing Gold.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Still Waters said:
Thank you for the information you guys. I am amazed you identified it so quickly. The weight of this piece is 4.4 to 4.5 grams. I wonder what it was used as a counterweight for. Im still not certain about the fine details, but having it narrowed down is sweet.
Thank you.
Still Waters

Bullion weights were for weighing Gold.
Thanks Cru. I realize now it is for weighing pennyweight or buillion, not coins. I was quoting PBK wnen I said coin weight but I scroll down and I see my link says buillion.
 
Upvote 0
Still Waters said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Still Waters said:
Thank you for the information you guys. I am amazed you identified it so quickly. The weight of this piece is 4.4 to 4.5 grams. I wonder what it was used as a counterweight for. Im still not certain about the fine details, but having it narrowed down is sweet.
Thank you.
Still Waters
3 dwt (pennyweight)= 4.66552 g http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/pennyweights-to-grams.htm

Im just guessing, but could it be? You have 3 dots. :dontknow:

Pretty damn good guess. Im sure it didn't get heavier after its time in the soil. Most likely it became lighter by a hair. Nice observation there :).
Still Waters
Maybe its purposely slightly underweight.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Still Waters said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Still Waters said:
Thank you for the information you guys. I am amazed you identified it so quickly. The weight of this piece is 4.4 to 4.5 grams. I wonder what it was used as a counterweight for. Im still not certain about the fine details, but having it narrowed down is sweet.
Thank you.
Still Waters
3 dwt (pennyweight)= 4.66552 g http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/pennyweights-to-grams.htm

Im just guessing, but could it be? You have 3 dots. :dontknow:

Pretty damn good guess. Im sure it didn't get heavier after its time in the soil. Most likely it became lighter by a hair. Nice observation there :).
Still Waters
Maybe its purposely slightly underweight.

They always lose a bit of weight over time & underground, this is normal. It would be not normal to be on weight.
 
Upvote 0
So this would have been used as a counter weight for metals like gold and silver? Do the 3 circle marks indicate 3 pennyweight? What metal was this made of, bronze? Just trying to piece it all together as this is a very new sort of find for me.
Thank you,
Still Waters
 
Upvote 0
Still Waters said:
So this would have been used as a counter weight for metals like gold and silver? Do the 3 circle marks indicate 3 pennyweight? What metal was this made of, bronze? Just trying to piece it all together as this is a very new sort of find for me.
Thank you,
Still Waters

Yes normally Bronze.
Weighing gold/silver for things like the jewelry trade.
3 circles is as stated a 3 Pennyweight.
Last detail, the Lion verification mark makes it British - meaning its of 'offical' weight (approved under British Law for use)
 
Upvote 0
Crusader,
Thank you for the clarification, you are an invaluable resource. I appreciate your contributions, especially in reguards to educating us over here hunting for those things you consider young.
Still Waters
 
Upvote 0
Still Waters said:
Crusader,
Thank you for the clarification, you are an invaluable resource. I appreciate your contributions, especially in reguards to educating us over here hunting for those things you consider young.
Still Waters

no probs.

I was just checking the dates of these in my book (1770-1850), & found out that in this period they were more commonly Brass (So I was wrong, it was Bronze at an earlier date).

Although not that old by UK standards, I still consider it a good find. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom