What's new

Oddest Civil War eagle button ever, need help Maybe Jason Bourne lost his spy button

smokeythecat

Platinum Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2012
Messages
20,926
Reaction score
41,158
Golden Thread
10
Location
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
10
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's a secret spy container with cool stuff inside. This came out of a very uncontaminated Civil War camp in Virginia. It is made of brass. There is what is left of a very, very faint eagle design on the front. The top if absolutely flat as is the back. No backmark on it and it looks hand made, possibly unique. On the side there is a incised line, and there is/was a small loop on the back, it is currently separate, I'll have to glue it back on. It is 23mm in diameter. About 7mm high. The top and back are absolutely flat, and there never was a backmark. Looks like a hand made thing to LOOK like a button. It is definitely hollow. Ideas? Ever seen anything like it? Is Dick Tracy or Jason Bourne missing their antique spy decoder rings? IMG_0554.webpIMG_0556.webpIMG_0555.webp
 
Things a Union soldier would secrete in a false button...(1) poison for suicide (2) opium in case of mortal injury (3) a lock of hair from his wife (4) a tiny piece of paper/map (5) small gold coin to purchase freedom if captured. The joy is in the mystery and speculation! It is an amazing find, IMHO, Sub 8-)

a union soldier might also hide his passwords to websites
 
Upvote 0
Jeff, put that soda down now! It's got way too much sugar after your nap time. (But I LIKE it.) Don't change. I will try to find out what's inside during the "Great White Death" coming tomorrow. I am going out at sunrise to see if I can find something in that one corn field...
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
TheMilDetector, answer is no. The brass is much thicker than on an eagle button. I DID go out and dig before the minor "White Death". Have a musket ball, a couple shots, several flat buttons, all mud covered. Will clean them up in a bit and see if there is anything on them. It's an old neighborhood with noted Civil War activity including a CW rail line within 2 miles or so and noted Rev War activity about 8 miles away, and also just to the east of the spot. No records of anything earlier than the Revolution in that area and no records of anything from the war of 1812 from the site. They disced the field within the last 3 days.
 
Upvote 0
Snuff box that was attached to a watch fob? Just a wild guess.

On a side note, I have a box similar to that one, except no loop on the back. It has an industrial diamond inside of it. Found it in my father's toolbox after he died. So that box could have been used for just about anything.
 
Upvote 0
This one had a loop on the back, but as soon as it came out of the ground it came off. Creskol, I have known William for over 25 years, I can send him a pic.
 
Upvote 0
This one had a loop on the back, but as soon as it came out of the ground it came off. Creskol, I have known William for over 25 years, I can send him a pic.

You ever figure this one out ?

It's a Cool find indeed.
 
Upvote 0
That is a cool looking piece for sure. Possibly one of a kind. Best of luck to you in learning the contents. If it couldn't be opened without destroying it, Personally I'd leave it as it is. Nice piece.
 
Upvote 0
Never did figure it out, so it now lives in a box with other stuff from the site.
 
Upvote 0
I spent some time looking at center pieces for CW era cockades. Often they were buttons or 'button like'.

I didn't have much luck but it may lead someone else to the ID.

It's a strange one, for sure...
 
Upvote 0
Yes, it is different.
 
Upvote 0
I vote for fob from a pocket watch
 
Upvote 0
Oddest Civil War eagle button ever, need help Maybe Jason Bourne lost his sp...

Shotgun wad trench art...
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom