What's new

Of dragons and kings

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2015
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,209
Golden Thread
1
Location
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I last posted I have hunted the site where I found the silver cuff links twice. Having hit the main home site in the field hard, I concentrated on the woods on the perimeter of the site. Boy was it hot! But it was worth every drop of sweat. :tongue3:

The first hunt started out with a bang. I got a solid 65 signal on the AT Pro,which normally indicates some sort of brass like large flat button. Boy was I surprised when I dug a counterfeit King George III half penny that was clipped on one side. The low VDI, thinness and light weight all pointed to it being a counterfeit. The reverse side is toasted but I think I can make out a date of 1779-any opinions?

20160728_192100.webp 20160728_193847.webp

As usual the flat buttons were plentiful; I dug six the first day and three more during the second hunt.

20160728_192257.webp

Probably the most interesting find of the day was a brass ornamental piece that has Chinese dragon heads on each side. Not sure what is was attached to, but part of one screw hole is still there.

20160728_192454.webp 20160728_193923.webp


An interesting iron relic that I dug appears to have been hung on a wall, and has two iron loops to hang something from. My best guess is that lanterns were hung from it but I welcome all ideas. It really cleaned up well in the electrolysis tank.

20160728_191327.webp 20160728_191256.webp

I also found several buckles-three iron and one small, octagonal brass buckle that I think was a knee buckle. The large saddle buckle was a first for me-never found one shaped like that before.

20160728_192717.webp

On the second day, in addition to three buttons I found part of a brass shoe buckle. Here it is with the octagonal buckle.

20160728_192349.webp

I also found a more recent find at a newer home site on the same tract of land. It is a watch fob from the early twentieth century, for Chapman Drug Company/White Lion Brand "Bottled and Packaged Drugs and Flavoring Extracts" out of Knoxville, Tennessee.

20160728_191053.webp 20160728_191131.webp

Fun and games in the heat :tongue3:
 
Upvote 32
Way to get out there in the heat. I didn't even try today! lol. Nice finds as usual. Keep it up
 
I'm anxious have someone identity the iron object. It really did clean up well. I'm partial to the watch fob.
 
Your coin is a Hibernia Halfpenny and it's hard to say for certain which bust, but I definitely lean towards the 1770s/80s vs the young head (1766 & 1769).

Not an issued coin in 1779.
 

Attachments

  • IR432x2.webp
    IR432x2.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 98
Amazing finds! :hello2:
 
Your coin is a Hibernia Halfpenny and it's hard to say for certain which bust, but I definitely lean towards the 1770s/80s vs the young head (1766 & 1769).

Not an issued coin in 1779.

Thanks IP! Do you think that it is a counterfeit?
 
Very nice post, and excellent finds. Congrats to DND.

The small hexagonal buckle is very cool.

Good luck to you sir.
 
Cool finds, I like the watch fob, very interesting.
 
Perchance the iron piece with the rings on it is whats left of a set of wooden haimes ??? Great finds by the way...d2
 
Thanks IP! Do you think that it is a counterfeit?

Many are and when the plow breaks one and doesn't bend it I think is a good indication of it being counterfeit.
 
Very nice Relic hunt, congratulations! Cool KG III cut copper. :occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom