Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it is illegal to MD on State properties, private properties, etc.
How about school grounds?
How about City parks?
I'm sure a lot of us hit both of these areas without permission.
Are we breaking the law?
Thanks,
MM

Laws are different in every state, every county, and in every city. The best thing to do is make the calls, record names of those you spoke with, and when possible....."get it in writing!" The problem in doing this is that most state, county, and city employees can't really tell you one way or the other because they just don't for sure. Sad but true, at least in my experience.

State properties and private properties are not illegal to detect on. I detect both here in Oregon with permission.

Anywhere you want to detect you will have to check into whether or not MDing is allowed. And even if its not allowed, you can still get in to detect it sometimes, through different programs.

Just pick up the phone and ask, although more often than not you will get a "no" this way. If a government employee doesn't know, they're always safe with "no".

I ask in person, whether it be a school, parks department, forest service department, BLM, private residence, etc.

There's a gang of threads in here on this subject, look on down the list and they're be a lot more info for you. :)

don't settle for a no unless it comes from someone that can give a yes ;)

Jeffro summed it up very well....I have never had a problem with schools, local or even state parks. Most all state parks have a sign posted listing all the rules, if metal detecting is not on their, I assume it's OK.

Night Stalker...

one time in a passaic n.j. park a d.p.w. worker came up to me and said no digging allowed.I pulled out a fistful
of dirty clad and told him if he could tell where I dug these from 20x20 ft area I found them.he scratched his head then jerked it back and said "ok",then just walked away.at another n.j. park I noticed an officer in a cruiser
watching me.I pretended not to see him and kept on going retrieving targets.he noticed that I left no holes and left.

there was no signs at these parks,just public employee,s thinking I was going to make a mess.

follow the code of ethics,know how to use your detector and proper target retreival.

On this subject, heheheh... I just today got permission to hunt any property that the college campus owns! (And they own a lot, from the founding of this town)

I was driving through an area to check out for tomorrow's hunt, and I ran into the head groundskeeper. He said, "No prob, just leave it better than you found it." And I will.

Also had an archaeologist check me out as I was loading back in... wants me to teach him and his crew how to run their detctors on a Fremont hunt. This is pre Oregon history! Yup... They're tracking down a howitzer that was lost way back when. I'm all in! Just let me have the coins..... I'll show you how to find all the cast iron you want!

I think it'll be pretty sweet for both of us. We'll see.

When opportunity knocks, don't say "who's there?" !!!! Get off your behind and answer the door!

Great job Jeffro. Good luck on your new locations.
-MM-

I am in VA and as a newbie this is what I call a 'gray' area. I tend to stick to elementary schools right now. Mainly because I haven't had the nerve to ask a property owner yet and because schools can yield decent stuff. I even have hit a few schools that were in historical areas - and have a history.

I like schools now too because there are rarely people there - too cold for the playground equip. I also tend to pick schools that are back in subdivisions and have their tot lots in the back of the school - away from view when someone drives by. Come spring, I may have to venture out to other areas but hopefully by then I will have scoped out more sites.

Pretty much you can assume it is illegal to detect without permission if you don't own the property or have permission of the owner or responsible parties. Ask.

In NY you can detect at state parks (at least so I was told at our local one), but you can't remove anything from the park or dig in certain areas. Nice Catch-22. County Parks you must "register" (which can be verbal) and then it is usually in the off season (Labor Day to Memorial Day). Then there are the gray areas like fishing access sites, game lands, reserviors at low water, state tree farms, etc. Sometimes no one seems to know for sure so it depends on who and how nice you ask.

A few years ago I registered and got permission to hunt a beach at a State Park in Indiana, however, a few hours later the DNR showed up and politely informed that the term "beach" actually meant, "dry sand." (I'm still not sure if he knew what he was talking about?) But if so, go figure, only Indiana could figure out how to have a "beach" without water!

Hey, watch it. I'm a Hoosier too. :D
Oh wait, so is Michael Jackson. :( Never mind.
-MM-

With MOST or maybe ALL schools being " Zero Tolerence " zones , you'd also better be careful with your choice of digging tools. One of my favorite diggers is a Japanese horticultural tool that looks like a sheath knife with a slightly bent blade--- it even has a serated edge. It could easily be mistaken for a large knife by the kneejerks running our schools today. Soooo, for serious plugging, I use a heavy-duty trowel with an 18 inch handle. From as little as 5 feet away, you can't tell by looking that both edges are extremely sharp. It would be far more dangerous than that knife-looking digger if I was up to no good. But, as all long-time THers have learned--perception is everything. ;D Screwdrivers are my MAIN "diggers" on school yards, with the trowel-tool available for plugging for deeeep hits.
As for National Military Parks, don't even take a detector into a park locked up in the trunk of your car. If it is spotted by a park ranger, you can still be arrested with the detector AND YOUR CAR confiscated. Midnight Detector Lerkers have removed all senses of humor from those folks. I live 25 miles from the Vicksbure National Military Park and have seen the results first hand. I'm not certain, but I think the Natchez Trace Parkway has the same rules. ( da***t ) Other parks ( federal, state, local ) will have their own rules. Get them in writing and if detectors are allowed, follow their use guidelines to the letter.

Treasurejack
I do know what you are talking about with Indiana. I am a Hoosier also, or was. Just moved to the other side of the river. I could write a book about the way DNR see,s things!

There's a historic lighthouse here in my area that has been tempting me for a year now. No tresspassing signs are posted around MOST of the perimeter fences. It's along a river bank and is bordered by a fenced off public park where there are no signs. I've been toying with the idea of just walking around the fence of the park along the river bank and to the site.
The reason it's so damn tempting is because I've seen historical black and white photos from the the 1920's showing the lighthouse along this river to be a very popular swimming hole. The idea that old coins and jewelry (of which I've found NONE so far) are just waiting for me there is making me think about "breaking the law" and just trying it. The obvious question is: What's the absolute worst that could happen? I'm thinking you could use the: "Gee officer, I was just walking along the river bank to the lighthouse here because it looked like a good spot to pull some old coins out of the ground...."
Any experiences or suggestions along these lines would be appreciated.
HH
-spyguy

Can we send you a bar of soap? ;D
-MM-

Attachments

• story.shawshank.jpg
    story.shawshank.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 1,101
What's the absolute worst that could happen? I'm thinking you could use the: "Gee officer, I was just walking along the river bank to the lighthouse here because it looked like a good spot to pull some old coins out of the ground...."

I know our schools hereabouts are very antsy about uninvited adults loitering about the school grounds. Sunday morning less so than during school hours. Mostly it depends on how offended the person who reports you is and whether they want to press charges for tresspassing. etc. It's like a speeding ticket: sometimes a polite response will get you off with only a warning. If there's a dead school crossing guard stuck in your grill it might be worse than that.

If that lighthouse is a national monument? Worst case may be $10,000 fine, six months in jail, confiscation of detector gear and your vehicle. Basically you could be charged with tresspassing, destruction of property, theft, vandalism, Lord knows what other local ordanances (illegal parking, loitering, malicious mischief, etc.)

There may be no sign that says "No Metal Detecting" but that doesn't mean you can. There are probably no signs that say "No Kitten Strangling" or "No Public Urination" either. Don't mean you won't get to ride in the nice officer's back seat just because it's not spelled out.

your best bet is to check with local authorities. It has already been mentioned, but it warrrants mentioning again. The laws are different everywhere, from town to county to state to federal. Check first. "What's the worst that could happen?" you ask. Well, fines and confiscation of your gear and vehicle are pretty high up on the list.

Don't take the chance. Make a quick phonecall to find out the answer.

steve

All good points listed above. Thanks! On the other hand, I peg the chances of being given a "warning" to leave and never come back at about 75%. This leaves in my mind about a 25% chance (give or take) of the worst case scenarios mentioned above.... As with many things in life it comes down to simple economics --- risk vs. reward. I have no idea who to call as far as whose juridiction the lighthouse and surrounding property falls under etc etc. It would definitely be a roll of the dice whether or not I made either "big finds" or a trip to the "big house". Place your bets! ;) It really is a tempting site otherwise I wouldn't even waste the time contemplating. Hey modern miner, classic photo reference there 'Shawshank' is great movie.
HH
-spyguy

All who have posted here are right on. The only thing I would add is know all regulations, believe it or not some places allow metal detecting but not digging. That first shovel full of dirt can end up costing you.

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back