What's new

Off Topic - Coin Tubes

lahmejoon

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Everyone,

I know people have different methods of storing, but I've been looking at purchasing some tubes and notice there are round ones and square ones. For those of you who use tubes, what do you recommend? Any brand in particular?

Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
For halves and other coins except Silver Dollars I get the clear round plastic with the screw on lids that hold $10.00 face value. For Silver Eagles I get the original square ones that they come in from the Mint.
 
Hi Ho Silver! said:
For halves and other coins except Silver Dollars I get the clear round plastic with the screw on lids that hold $10.00 face value. For Silver Eagles I get the original square ones that they come in from the Mint.

what do they cost? and is it better to store the halves in them then reusing the paper rolls? I would like them for the few S mints and bicentennial silver and commemoratives...
 
I use the same a Hi Ho Silver!. Works well for me. I buy "Koin Tube" by the box, but you can purchase singles. I don't have that many silver dollars, so I have only ordered a single tube for those coins.

apush :read2:
 
Watch Lahmejoon has $300 K worth in 90% and he wants tube for them. Just kidding, it's in reference to Placerman's post about the competitor who does 40 boxes per week. I know I made a joke at Lahmejoon's expense but it was harmless.
 
Yes, that was me. I was the guy carrying $20K worth of halves to my car.

LOL - I wish I had that kind of scratch to tie up! I've just been doing cents.

Mainly, what I'm looking for are tubes that I can store some cents in. I received some cents (mostly 1930s) from a family friend that were stored in plastic tubes. I don't know if time caught up to these tubes and somehow the plastic contracted, or if she didn't use a tube made for coins (although they totally look like they were made for coin storage), but it's virtually impossible to get some of the cents out of the tubes. I want to be able to transfer these, as well as some of the stuff I've found CRHing without having to worry about something like this happening.
 
Don't over look all those empty pill bottles you probably have,I store old nickles and dimes in mine,also seeds. :hello2:
 
Yep, pill bottles work fine also. Actually, the tinted color is better than clear. I use the ones I mentioned because they are temporary and hold a set amount.
 
I wouldn't store coins in any plastic tube that is not designed strictly for coins. The pill tubes could have PVC in the plastic and over time that will damage your coins. Coin dealers sell the tubes and they
cost about 42 cents per tube. Well worth it.
rileyboy
 
You can order a box of tubes for like 28 cents a piece from online places like Coinwizzard
 
There is really no plastic, pvc, nylon, or vinyl that is 100% safe. Coins can be damaged very easily.
 
I have several penny tubes that were designed for coins with no PVC in them, if you want them just PM me your address.
 
SFBayArea said:
You can order a box of tubes for like 28 cents a piece from online places like Coinwizzard

In addition, if you go to a large coin show where Coinwizzard or other supplier is selling, they usually have a "used" bin that they sell very cheap. Nothing wrong with them other than the previous owner might have put a sticker on the cap or side to denote the contents. As individuals liquidate their collection, the supplies are recycled. Sometimes they can actually make you money. I've bought old Dansco albums and tubes that show their age. Buy sliders and common date coins and assemble tubes/collections. Send them to auction, and watch the general public who have no clue overpay for the items. They see the "aged" album/tube, and automatically assume they are from "grandpa's estate".
 
square ones are ezier 2 store tho the round ones are ezier to see inside. Beware cheap square ones that the tops fall off ez
 
For some reason unknown even to me , I prefer the square tubes for all my coins - aesthetics matter
to me ! Argentium.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom