Officially skunked on Nickels

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to town and did some runnign around for my mom. well I spun around to my workplace to see if the money delivery had come so I can get my box of work ordered nickels. I got home exhausted and after putting everything away started on the box of nickels. they were from Brinks and in those nasty plastic tubes. Ugh! I am thinking this was someone else's dump because there was absolutely no buffalos or war nickels. There were 1939's, 1941's and 1946's but no war nickels :;whimpers:: that officially stinks. I am hopeing that tomorrow when I put my other 2 boxes, they will have something in them.

As it is, I dumped 400 dollars worth of nickels today. OMG! my aching arms. I am not doing that amount of dumping again unless I have mechanical assistance.oh vay oh vay. But the bank was really sweet at helping me out. I deposited 200 dollars in my account and the other 200 went into my pocket for thursday's pickup. ::crosses her fingers:: please let me get some war nickels...

see ya,
Garoulady

Upvote 0

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50cent said:
Nickels from brinks always this bad?

I usually come up with one or two every three boxes or so. But lately it's been dry. 4 box losing streak.

NjStacker22

Dec 9, 2012
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You actually have to check the dates on all nickels right? No other way to check...?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
You actually have to check the dates on all nickels right? No other way to check...?

Pretty much, war nickels usually have darker edges, but not all do and some regular nickels can have black toning for various reasons.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NjStacker22 said:

Nickels are fast and easy to search. Ignore all the low relief newer nickels. War nicks, buffs and V nicks, all stick out like a sore thumb.

NjStacker22

Dec 9, 2012
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm. I'll have to remember that. I have not seen one in person yet so I guess I need to wait to see for myself :laughing7:

solielj

Nov 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I just finished my first box of nickles and found a 41 and 2 46's. Not a single war nickle. The box came from Loomis and I know someone in my area is dumping at Loomis. Should I assume I didn't find anything because it came from Loomis? I plan on picking up boxes from somewhere else but just curious of what might typical for some people on finding war nickles? How often do you get skunked on box and find no war nickles or buffalo's?

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
solielj said:
I just finished my first box of nickles and found a 41 and 2 46's. Not a single war nickle. The box came from Loomis and I know someone in my area is dumping at Loomis. Should I assume I didn't find anything because it came from Loomis? I plan on picking up boxes from somewhere else but just curious of what might typical for some people on finding war nickles? How often do you get skunked on box and find no war nickles or buffalo's?

I usually get 1 or 2 per box but sometimes get skunked. I keep the pure nickel Canadian also. I don't think you should assume you didn't find anything because your box came from loomis. You just had a skunk box. Next one might produce.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope you're safe out there carrying your boxes with all these "right-to-work" protests.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for your care. I have gotten over 20 boxes of nickels and this is the first skunk I have ever gotten. Whether its a buffalo or a war nickel I have always found something worthwhile. Out of this box I got neither. 1950D? Hmm, maybe I will have to rego through my nickels for this day. there was a lot of 1939 nickels in there and I kept those. Figured when I got enough I could roll them up and sell them on Ebay or something. And those protests aren't just in the capital, we have some up here in traverse city. Hmm, I just did my finances and saw that I have an extra 200 bucks. Wonder if I should pay bills with it or buy another box of nickels, go through them, then dump it and pay the bill. LOL gracious decisions decisions. I got some canadian in the mix but its all 1980's and 1990's and I don't save for metal content, unless its silver.

well I'm off to get my other two boxes. See ya later.

Sincerely, Garoulady

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for your care. I have gotten over 20 boxes of nickels and this is the first skunk I have ever gotten. Whether its a buffalo or a war nickel I have always found something worthwhile. Out of this box I got neither. 1950D? Hmm, maybe I will have to rego through my nickels for this day. there was a lot of 1939 nickels in there and I kept those. Figured when I got enough I could roll them up and sell them on Ebay or something. And those protests aren't just in the capital, we have some up here in traverse city. Hmm, I just did my finances and saw that I have an extra 200 bucks. Wonder if I should pay bills with it or buy another box of nickels, go through them, then dump it and pay the bill. LOL gracious decisions decisions. I got some canadian in the mix but its all 1980's and 1990's and I don't save for metal content, unless its silver.

well I'm off to get my other two boxes. See ya later.

Sincerely, Garoulady

You are a CRH Addict, and I think you need some professional help. My advice is pay the bills.

NjStacker22

Dec 9, 2012
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a box.... and then pay the bills! Just hurry up and don't be late on your payment lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread