Oh What a Hunt

Glen's Loyalists

Jan 7, 2024
This weekend was the first time in a bit more than a month since my son and I had a good outing and oh what a hunt. Got a few bucket listers for the old farm.

IMG_1663.jpg

Obviously the 19th century three piece bottle was an eyes only find, the rain had washed it out of the dirt, but we'll start with the buttons, which are among my very favorite finds. Luckily, in this general area there seems to be more military buttons than non-military ones.

We have found a number of military and naval buttons on this site but until now, no regimental ones. On Saturday we got 3 within 15 fifteen minute of each other.

First up was this sadly damaged 102st regiment button, in Pewter it seems:

IMG_1665.jpg
IMG_1666.jpg

The 102nd is an interesting regiment, they came to Halifax from Bermuda during the war of 1812 and were stationed here 1813 - 1814 before returning to Bermuda and then back to Halifax in 1816 with a name change. Their main engagement at this time was Moose Island in Maine. This one, by Firmin & Co I believe would have come here in 1813.

Next up are two buttons from the 31st Huntingdonshire Regiment of foot, the larger of the two being silver washed whereas the smaller one being pewter I think.

IMG_1668.jpg

We were over the moon when these came out. Among the best we have found. They were in Quebec during the American Revolution and garrisoned in Quebec until returning to the UK in 1787. They were designated Huntingdonshire in 1782, so the button would date after that time. I don't see any signs that they returned after that time in my brief research. Does anybody know? The manufacturer of the larger button is Nutting and the back mark variety is 1800 to 1840. I would date this as Napoleonic or War of 1812. The smaller button H*G & Co. and likely thew same date.

IMG_1624.jpg

One of my favorites to date.

Another bucket lister was this very worn but still legible 1697 William III Shilling. That pushes back my oldest silver from a 1726 Real to this one. The condition is disappointing, but I'll take 300 year old plus silver any day.

IMG_1673.jpg
IMG_1674.jpg

The same day we also got this interesting lead item. My son says whizzer, I am thinking button. It is broken in the right hand corner.

IMG_1672.jpg

Another nice find is this Carriage Bell. Silver plated and with an uneven edge and varying thickness to the rim, I think there is some age to this. I know my Crotal Bells but I don't know much about these. I am going to say mid to later 18th century, but that is a guess. Any experts out there?

IMG_1679.jpg
IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

Of the lesser buttons, two plain flat buttons as well:

IMG_1678.jpg

A bit more silver:

IMG_1675.jpg

The ever present 1862 UK Halfpenny. Did they make a bazillion of these? It seems every second one we get is an 1862, and not just on this site.

IMG_1677.jpg

Plated spoonage with false touchmarks:

IMG_1671.jpg

And finally, Sunday brought a walk with the dog and I pulled out this fantastic Victorian Royal Irish Rifles (formed in 1881) two piece button in great shape. This is the second one I found on this site.

IMG_1664.jpg

A bit more cleaning to do.

IMG_1667.jpg

That's it for now. I can't wait to get back out.

Last edited:
Upvote 27
Great finds, love the buttons. That shilling is so worn I don't see how you can tell what year it is, but it's definitely a keeper!

Really you got some great looking buttons.
The Irish is a looker for sure, as it the 31st.
Congrats on the hunts and wishing you continued success on the property.

The handle is EP and the marks will ID the date/maker, all legit stamps.
Screenshot_20240312_062520_Chrome.jpg

Great finds, love the buttons. That shilling is so worn I don't see how you can tell what year it is, but it's definitely a keeper.

Thank you.
I figured the date by standing at the stove (the light in the range hood is the best in the house and just the right height, much to my wife's annoyance), tilting it to the left and right, forward and back, thru the fulll 360 degrees. You likely know the date is divided by a crown. On the left I can just see the bottom of a loop that would be the 6 of 16. To be expected as this coin was minted for 5 years in the 1600's and 2 years in the 1700's. On the left the 9 or 0 is simply gone, but I can just see a straightish line that would be the side of the 7. So 100% sure 1600, and lets say 82% sure 97. It seems to be the most common date too.

Really you got some great looking buttons.
The Irish is a looker for sure, as it the 31st.
Congrats on the hunts and wishing you continued success on the property.

The handle is EP and the marks will ID the date/maker, all legit stamps.
View attachment 2136738
Thank you very much! Greatly appreciated.

Outstanding finds all around. Your collection of buttons is quite impressive. I love finding old military buttons. Such great history! Major congrats on finding your oldest silver coin too. The fact that you are able to get a positive ID makes it extra special. Well done!!!

This weekend was the first time in a bit more than a month since my son and I had a good outing and oh what a hunt. Got a few bucket listers for the old farm.

View attachment 2136622

Obviously the 19th century three piece bottle was an eyes only find, the rain had washed it out of the dirt, but we'll start with the buttons, which are among my very favorite finds. Luckily, in this general area there seems to be more military buttons than non-military ones.

We have found a number of military and naval buttons on this site but until now, no regimental ones. On Saturday we got 3 within 15 fifteen minute of each other.

First up was this sadly damaged 102st regiment button, in Pewter it seems:

View attachment 2136623 View attachment 2136624

The 102nd is an interesting regiment, they came to Halifax from Bermuda during the war of 1812 and were stationed here 1813 - 1814 before returning to Bermuda and then back to Halifax in 1816 with a name change. Their main engagement at this time was Moose Island in Maine. This one, by Firmin & Co I believe would have come here in 1813.

Next up are two buttons from the 31st Huntingdonshire Regiment of foot, the larger of the two being silver washed whereas the smaller one being pewter I think.

View attachment 2136640

We were over the moon when these came out. Among the best we have found. They were in Quebec during the American Revolution and garrisoned in Quebec until returning to the UK in 1787. They were designated Huntingdonshire in 1782, so the button would date after that time. I don't see any signs that they returned after that time in my brief research. Does anybody know? The manufacturer of the larger button is Nutting and the back mark variety is 1800 to 1840. I would date this as Napoleonic or War of 1812. The smaller button H*G & Co. and likely thew same date.

View attachment 2136642
One of my favorites to date.

Another bucket lister was this very worn but still legible 1697 William III Shilling. That pushes back my oldest silver from a 1726 Real to this one. The condition is disappointing, but I'll take 300 year old plus silver any day.

View attachment 2136646 View attachment 2136647

The same day we also got this interesting lead item. My son says whizzer, I am thinking button. It is broken in the right hand corner.

View attachment 2136643

Another nice find is this Carriage Bell. Silver plated and with an uneven edge and varying thickness to the rim, I think there is some age to this. I know my Crotal Bells but I don't know much about these. I am going to say mid to later 18th century, but that is a guess. Any experts out there?

View attachment 2136648 View attachment 2136649

View attachment 2136650

Of the lesser buttons, two plain flat buttons as well:

View attachment 2136644

A bit more silver:

View attachment 2136651

The ever present 1862 UK Halfpenny. Did they make a bazillion of these? It seems every second one we get is an 1862, and not just on this site.

View attachment 2136652

Plated spoonage with false touchmarks:

View attachment 2136653

And finally, Sunday brought a walk with the dog and I pulled out this fantastic Victorian Royal Irish Rifles (formed in 1881) two piece button in great shape. This is the second one I found on this site.

View attachment 2136654
A bit more cleaning to do.

View attachment 2136655

That's it for now. I can't wait to get back out.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back