Ohio Lance forms- Paleo to Late Archaic

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
There was an interesting post that brought up some of the Lanceolate forms from Ohio. Not as much scientific info in this thread, just some examples I have scattered around my collection. A hodgepodge of old and new pictures, eventually I’ll get the actual pieces sorted into some type of grouping.

I firmly believe that some of these are post-fluted point paleo items related to their name-brand western forms (Agate Basin, Angostura & Cody Complex), and I believe some of them are likely related to Early to Mid-Archaic or even later form more common in Missouri & Illinois, and then some are likely introductions or evolutions from the East that extend into the Late-Archaic or even more recent than that.

Maybe it’s anecdotal vs studied fact, but one of the unique things is that they are predominately made from one of the black cherts from Ohio or WV, even when found in areas where other flints are more common.

Please feel free to post any you have, or ideas about them.

FWIW- You'll probably see some edits to this thread. I am going to insert pictures, and then add some comments above the pictures that are comment worthy.

Upvote 8
OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Here is my main "frame" showing some of the variety, all Ohio. I probably have more color in this frame than would be normal in an typical collection of these, I've tried to get a few examples from other materials. Click the pictures and you should get a higher resolution picture.

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Older pictures of points I have.

AgateBasin-1.JPG

A could of decent stemmed ones.
IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_4040DesktopResolution.JPG

The white one is from Illinois or Iowa, the rest are Ohio. The small flintridge piece was a personal find of Lar Hothem, I bought it at his auction. Not sure about the big one, it was in a small group. Could just be a later knife form, but it was in the picture...
IMG_5824.JPG

Some debate on this last one. I thought it was Archaic or Paleo, some pretty knowledgeable people think it's an Adena. Flint Ridge material.
Ohio2.JPG

Ohio1.JPG

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great post! I love the Ohio Paleo Lances. I'll try & post the few I have when I get a chance. Really nice displays you have.

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful artifacts! Wow.

So, it appears that Overstreet consolidates those with a distinct stem into one generic so-called "Eastern Stemmed Lanceolate," type, with their age range stated as of 10,000 to 3,000 years bp. Here's their description, and their one picture I show here is labeled "Coshocton" in the book.

"A medium to large size, broad stemmed point with convex to parallel sides and square shoulders. The stem is parallel sided to slightly expanding. The hafting area is ground. Most examples have horizontal to oblique parallel flaking and are of high quality and thinness. The Eastern form of the Scottsbluff type made by the Cody Complex people. The Stringtown is an eared version of this type."

over.JPG

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Post #5, lower pic, top row, far right looks like what we call a Holland in IL. Second row, second from right, same. Gary

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Yes, there have been a couple of different typologies that split this into multiple types, and others who clump them into a few. I tend to agree with what many, including Overstreet, have done by breaking out the stemmed lances into a couple of varieties. Stringtown is one particular type, I don't have a great example but I have a lot of broken ones. The ears at the bottom are similar to ears on Earred Edens found in Wisconsin, Iowa & Illinois. I'll have to see if I can find a picture of my broken examples.

Beautiful artifacts! Wow.

So, it appears that Overstreet consolidates those with a distinct stem into one generic so-called "Eastern Stemmed Lanceolate," type, with their age range stated as of 10,000 to 3,000 years bp. Here's their description, and their one picture I show here is labeled "Coshocton" in the book.

"A medium to large size, broad stemmed point with convex to parallel sides and square shoulders. The stem is parallel sided to slightly expanding. The hafting area is ground. Most examples have horizontal to oblique parallel flaking and are of high quality and thinness. The Eastern form of the Scottsbluff type made by the Cody Complex people. The Stringtown is an eared version of this type."

View attachment 1816343

ohiofinds 1

Jan 17, 2020
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great thread. Joshua your photos show the great variability of these points. In Ohio two or more different cultures used lanceolates at different time periods.True agate basin types with long heavy edge grinding are one of Ohios rarest types.The late archaic ones,often made from gray nellie chert or tan delaware chert have sort of a heartland in the Lake Erie drainage basin.They are a southeast extension of Michigans satchell View attachment 1816526 View attachment 1816526 culture.Here is a link to an Ohio site excavated by the Cleveland Museum Of Natural History.https://www.academia.edu/32068248/A...T_THE_BURRELL_ORCHARD_SITE_33Ln15_2016_SEASON
They published yearly reports which are available at Academia.edu.
Here are some lanceolates we have found over the years. They are common on several of our sites but the ratio of brokes to complete points must be at least fifty to one.
Ill post the photos separately so they enlarge well. DSC_2126.JPG
These are late archaic,I think.

ohiofinds 1

Jan 17, 2020
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are more late archaic examples DSC_2124.JPG
Bottom row third from right is much earlier.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20200330_200350~2.jpg 20200330_200634.jpg 20200330_200830.jpg
These are my Ohio Paleo's.
String town Lance from Franklin Co.
Paleo from Choshocton Co.
Agate Basin looking lances from Pickaway Co.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Ohiofind, thanks for the great info! I've downloaded the paper, more good stuff to read. I also appreciate your comments on these.

I also really enjoyed seeing your finds. I've got one personal find from Northeast Indiana (one county away from Ohio) but it's amazing how the type just isn't found on my side of the state line with any frequency.

They didnt enlarge as I hoped so here is a link to larger photos so you can study the flaking.
For maximum enlargement go to the download arrow icon at lower right and choose ''see all sizes''
Then on the next screen choose original size.https://www.flickr.com/photos/157937984@N08/albums/72157690717385620

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread