What's new

Ok, guess at what number will I finally get a 1950 wheatie!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2009
Messages
2,260
Reaction score
31
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I posed some blood-boiling topics before but now just a survey I suppose. No contraversey. I've been keeping track of my finds and in doing pennies, I still haven't got the 1950 wheatie yet. It's not like it's a rare coin but since I'm on the west coast, it's been hard to find. From the 40-50's, I'm only missing two wheats (1941-S & 1950). I've been keeping track on excel and I've searched around $1950 in pennies in last two years. I didn't do any cent boxes before last year. So that's 78 boxes worth and still no 1950 wheat. It's really suprised me. Is there a kind of common date that any of you find so elusive?

Please, no one offer me a 1950 wheat. I want to see how much longer I can go without finding one. Guess this is what happens when I'm on the west coast. plenty of S-mints but no 1941-S either. How many more boxes do I have to search before getting one?
 
Upvote 0
I'm missing 1954s and 1955s. I live in Ohio, so coins from the San Francisco mint come at a premium.

OWS
 
I got 2 in one box I did the other day ;D
 
I have 47 of the 1950 penny. And I live out west too (AZ). We get from the same fed reserve, since ours comes from CA. So you have hope.

As for rarity of coins in the 1940s and 1950s, I have 18 of the 1940D, 19 of the 1940S. 19 - 1941D, 14 1941S, 18 - 1942S, 32 - 1947S, 23 - 1948S, 21 - 1949S, 31 - 1950S (So less than the 1950 plain), 33 - 1952, 14 - 1954, and amazingly only 6 of the 1955S.

On tghe opposite end, I have 260 - 1944, 208 - 1945, 194 - 1946, 298 - 1952D, 244 - 1953D, 253 - 1955D, 517 - 1956D, 512 - 1957D, abd 457 - 1958D.

AMong others. :-)
 
jrf30 said:
I have 47 of the 1950 penny. And I live out west too (AZ). We get from the same fed reserve, since ours comes from CA. So you have hope.

As for rarity of coins in the 1940s and 1950s, I have 18 of the 1940D, 19 of the 1940S. 19 - 1941D, 14 1941S, 18 - 1942S, 32 - 1947S, 23 - 1948S, 21 - 1949S, 31 - 1950S (So less than the 1950 plain), 33 - 1952, 14 - 1954, and amazingly only 6 of the 1955S.

On tghe opposite end, I have 260 - 1944, 208 - 1945, 194 - 1946, 298 - 1952D, 244 - 1953D, 253 - 1955D, 517 - 1956D, 512 - 1957D, abd 457 - 1958D.

AMong others. :-)

It's strange that I've gotten probably at least 4 to 5 1950-S but no 1950. Yeah the vast majority of wheats are 1956-D, 1957-D & 1958-D. I get S mints all the time. The most common one is 1953-S. Usually, I'll get at least 25 % of the wheats I find be S mints. I've got 2 to 3 of 1955-S. This is based on memory since I just usually put them in a jar after sorting them and cleaning them. I do like to wash them after pulling them since they are dirty. Although, it's easy to swap with someone here, I just want to see how much longer I need to go in order to find one. I still need a 1941-S too. I'm in the SF bay area so I would think it would be findable but it doesn't seem that way.
 
I just restarted crh this past April. I had not done it for over 30 years. I have gone over $4,200 in pennies this year, found 1,850 wheaties and I am missing the 43p, 43s and the 54p. I have found plenty of the so called older ones but can't seem to find the easy one. I feel you pain of not finding the 1950. Sooner or later they will show up. Good Luck. PJ
 
The only book 2 wheat I'm missing is the 43S, I've got 1 43D and the rarest non steel for me is the 55S followed by the 54

HH
-GC
 
PJ in WI said:
I just restarted crh this past April. I had not done it for over 30 years. I have gone over $4,200 in pennies this year, found 1,850 wheaties and I am missing the 43p, 43s and the 54p. I have found plenty of the so called older ones but can't seem to find the easy one. I feel you pain of not finding the 1950. Sooner or later they will show up. Good Luck. PJ

Actually I haven't found any steel cents either. The ones I have in my collection are one I got when I was a kid from buying them from the coin shop. You're totally right on that. Steel cents are like impossible to find for me. I did get a 1954 just yesterday.
 
No steel cents either:(
 
SFBayArea said:
PJ in WI said:
I just restarted crh this past April. I had not done it for over 30 years. I have gone over $4,200 in pennies this year, found 1,850 wheaties and I am missing the 43p, 43s and the 54p. I have found plenty of the so called older ones but can't seem to find the easy one. I feel you pain of not finding the 1950. Sooner or later they will show up. Good Luck. PJ

Actually I haven't found any steel cents either. The ones I have in my collection are one I got when I was a kid from buying them from the coin shop. You're totally right on that. Steel cents are like impossible to find for me. I did get a 1954 just yesterday.

Steelies are definitely tougher to find. Found 4 in 2008, 2 in 2009, and 0 in 2010. NOt a good trend. lolol
 
I've found 2 1943, 2 1943 D, and 0 1943 S. I just found both 1950 and 1954 and the 1950 one is in pretty rough shape. Living in Iowa I find that S mint coins are the hardest to come by. Out of the second book I'm still missing 1943 S, 1949 S, 1952 S, 1954 S, and 1955 S. But this hobby wouldn't be fun if you could fill most of your folder just by going through a few boxes.
 
Not to make you cry but I got 15 solid rolls friday from bank all 50s and 40s wheats plenty of 1950s. Went to same window I got 6 solid rolls from 3 weeks ago I thought that is all they had . lol, Lady said A guy brought in 800.00 worth of old rolled coin quarters large dollars and wheats all rolls marked . all they had left was pennies she said the others were shipped out to brinks. Always a day late and a dollar short. But I am happy with wheats it will put me close to last years total now within 50 or so. My largest hit this year. :thumbsup:
 
imma guess that u will have to search 20 more boxes...but i hope its sooner for ya...keep it up and hh!
 
steel cents look by coin sorter machines --the folks that clean the magnets often place the junk coins on the shelf --steel cents stick to the magnets like junk does :thumbsup:
 
CHAINCHOMP said:
imma guess that u will have to search 20 more boxes...but i hope its sooner for ya...keep it up and hh!

Did one tonight.. nothing new.. got 10 wheats.. no 1950.. will keep trying.. my guess is I'll get one in another $1000 worth.
 
I will cross my fingers that you will find the 1950 cent by New Years Day. :occasion18:

apush :read2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom