ok guys, what are these things?

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
OK, I dug that big round thing with the holes in it up by the ammo dump area. Any ideas on what it is? It has some numbers on the edge (still cleaning this thing up), has threads on the inner side (and what appears to be some larger threads but not much remains of those), rifling lines, possibly a hole in the center, and the holes around the edge go all the way through. It is about an inch thick or more, and was blown up, or something( if they filled a barrel with some tnt, and screwed the cover on, it could be why there is such a large crack in this thing). Any ideas?

Also, we found this other thing in the same area, on the surface by some large shell casings. One end was run over by something it seems. I am not sure if it is hinged or not. I looks like something that would go on the end of an arty piece, or to some kind of anti tank weapon (like bazooka or panzerfaust). Any ideas would be great!! :)

Attachments

• piece after.jpg
    piece after.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 638
  • piece after 2.jpg
    piece after 2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 636
  • piece after side.jpg
    piece after side.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 617
  • whatisit4.jpg
    whatisit4.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 586
  • whatisit5.jpg
    whatisit5.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 580
  • whatisit3.jpg
    whatisit3.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 575
  • piece after.jpg
    piece after.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 635
  • piece after 2.jpg
    piece after 2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 627
  • piece after side.jpg
    piece after side.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 631
  • whatisit4.jpg
    whatisit4.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 585
  • whatisit5.jpg
    whatisit5.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 580
  • whatisit3.jpg
    whatisit3.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 573

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ABNibelungen3.jpg

notice the tank hanging the road wheels ;) perhaps smaller like an armored car
008.jpg
maybe ???

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2nd item are stabilizing fins for a rocket/mortor

Upvote 0
OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
I was thinking that myself. I need to do more research. I did find it next to a squashed helmet piece, and a flare gun round. (I forgot the flare round out in the woods :( ). The wheel looking thing isn't that big really. Less than a ft in diameter. But you never know.

Thanks for the info though! IF anyone can ID these things, it would be awesome! There are more pieces out there somewhere.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
the milled piece is too small for a road wheel, i was thinking the same thing though. Could be the base to a Arty gun (where they mount you know)? When I clean it up more, then I can see if I can make out the #s on the side.

The other thing isn't to a rocket or something like that as far as I know. its made of pretty thick steel, rivited together. It would look more like a cylinder shape if it wasn't smashed up. I thought it may go on the end of a flak gun or something like that ???

Upvote 0

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Not sure,but the first one reminds me of the base plate for a mortor ??? Is it that big,or smaller ???

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the piece to me..was there ever a shield around a turret gun that looked like this? Around the end of the gun?

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That round thing looks like a clock to me . Perhaps a timer of some type for an artillery gun? But don't listen to me since I have been right only .05% of the time and fading fast! ;) Monty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
I don't think it was a shield. Its way too heavy for that. I emailed a guy from inert.org. He said it may be a piece of an experimental bleed through shell. He is in the process of moving at the time, so he was unable to pull out his books. He said he has seen it somewhere. But thanks for all your input guys! I will clean it up more and take some better pictures.

The other thing I still don't know about. ???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
I think my round thing could be a tank/ half track road wheel hub, that went into the center of a LARGER wheel.. out of all the screw holes, i think only 4-6 were used, could make sense why there are threads around the edge of it... where it would screw into the axle? to hold the main wheel in place. I found a picture of a model tiger tank.. the hub looks about the same but maybe a bit larger. I will scan a pict and post :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread