Ok, lets "stir the pot" a little.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, let's "stir the pot" a little.

As most here know, I am a proponent of "wet" gold prospecting as apposed to "dry" (i.e. drywashing). Here is an excerpt from page 82 of BLM bulletin #4 Placer Examination - Priciples and Practice. John H. Wells: (bold type is mine) This shows the gold to be eleven times heavier than gravel when immersed in water, as compared to 7:1 in air. Simply stated - the relative weight of gold is about 1 1/2 times greater when passing through a wet process than when passing through a drywasher.... it no doubt contibutes to the dry washer's often poor recovery of fine or flaky gold. Drywashing is a viable method in arid regions but give me water if I can take it to the site. (Let's argue... snicker) TTC

Upvote 0

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I hope technology is the ticket. I'll be leaving for Arizona in 5 days with my new Razor Hog mats to do battle with the panners once more. Sadly No. They don't look any more tired than i do at the end of the day. In fact, they routinely knock off 4 hours earlier than me. The panners are usually outta there by 2 or 3 PM. They don't like to work during the hottest part of the day. I gotta work clear up to supper time, and i don't take an hour off for lunch at noon like they do. I sure would enjoy wipin those smarmy grins off their faces though.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on guys, not enough arguement here! Jim. Kaz, Lp, and others make a good point. My only point was I like water, when available. There is a definite place for drywashers. ANY method by a pro is a wonder to behold! Working a drywasher takes much more finesse than a wet method. A sluice/highbanker makes me look like a pro! Tnx, all. TTC

You like water 'cause you're from Wisconsin. And if you're not careful, I'll come visit ya! I'm getting sick of snow! I'll bring some if you miss it.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Want controversy ? I'll stir some up for ya. I've seen "speed" panners in Arizona who consistantly whip the pants off other prospectors who use a sluice. These guys only have shovels, buckets and a pan.. and by the end of the day, they've got MORE gold in their bottle than anybody else. They compete with sluice operators all the time. I've stood there and watched the contests from start to finish. You might could beat'em with a dredge, but you arn't gonna beat'em with a sluice. They're that good and that fast. I know this statement is gonna infuriate lots of sluice owners. You'll claim they can't beat YOUR sluice. If you challenge' em, you'll LOSE. And they'll be LAUGHING at you while you're paying off the wager.
I'd love to see video of those guys - any utube of them?

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here is my first prototype 35 gal desert washplant. runs with my little Harbor Freight 900 w genny and a small sump pump.
The Goal : To wash dirt and reuse the water by letting the dissolved clay settle out after running 10 buckets.
As always I appreciate your comments. So what do you think?:goldpan:
Desert Washplant 1.1.jpg

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks really nice 79er - have you field tested yet? Might need one more settling container. Good luck.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As most here know, I am a proponent of "wet" gold prospecting as apposed to "dry" (i.e. drywashing). Here is an excerpt from page 82 of BLM bulletin #4 Placer Examination - Priciples and Practice. John H. Wells: (bold type is mine) This shows the gold to be eleven times heavier than gravel when immersed in water, as compared to 7:1 in air. Simply stated - the relative weight of gold is about 1 1/2 times greater when passing through a wet process than when passing through a drywasher.... it no doubt contibutes to the dry washer's often poor recovery of fine or flaky gold. Drywashing is a viable method in arid regions but give me water if I can take it to the site. (Let's argue... snicker) TTC

Here are my thoughts. Upwards of 90-percent of the "gold prospectors" that buy a drywasher do not know how, or when to use it. The very same holds true for folks that buy a recirculating sluice like a Gold Buddy. Too much/not enough air/water, bad fall-off angles, bunching to one side or tyhe other, overloaded riffles.. yadda,yadda, yadda. In the DESERT, you need BOTH. When the desert is DRY, you simply can't beat the production of a good drywasher. There is no recirc sluice of equal size that can match the production of a good drywasher.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are my thoughts. Upwards of 90-percent of the "gold prospectors" that buy a drywasher do not know how, or when to use it. The very same holds true for folks that buy a recirculating sluice like a Gold Buddy. Too much/not enough air/water, bad fall-off angles, bunching to one side or tyhe other, overloaded riffles.. yadda,yadda, yadda. In the DESERT, you need BOTH. When the desert is DRY, you simply can't beat the production of a good drywasher. There is no recirc sluice of equal size that can match the production of a good drywasher.
Sounds like a CHALLENGE, buddy!!!!! Lets plan on it! TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well here is my first prototype 35 gal desert washplant. runs with my little Harbor Freight 900 w genny and a small sump pump.
The Goal : To wash dirt and reuse the water by letting the dissolved clay settle out after running 10 buckets.
As always I appreciate your comments. So what do you think?:goldpan:
View attachment 764517
NICE SET-UP! I would change just one thing (not to detract, though). Change the buckets to galvanized tubs and instead of the hole for spot, put "u-shaped" cut-out up on the lip with 1/2 galv tube. Tubs will hold up better in the field. Oh, and I noticed.... in the rear.... the surfactant bottle got away on ya... huh? TTC

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE SET-UP! I would change just one thing (not to detract, though). Change the buckets to galvanized tubs and instead of the hole for spot, put "u-shaped" cut-out up on the lip with 1/2 galv tube. Tubs will hold up better in the field. Oh, and I noticed.... in the rear.... the surfactant bottle got away on ya... huh? TTC

I just posted this final tested design in the Home built post too.
It does work better with 3 tubs. water stays cleaner longer. I will get metal tubs when I can afford to upgrade the build.
I will always use the drywasher in the desert but I need the personal satisfaction of a water plant. I found gold in the tiny clay balls of my drywasher tailings. I brought a few buckets home to play with. I used them to test this wash plant.:goldpan:
0330131612.jpg 0330131613.jpg
I ran the cons to 50 mesh then through the blue bowl and got more gold.
It was mostly flour gold:goldpan:
0330131613b.jpg

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does work better with 3 tubs. water stays cleaner longer. I will get metal tubs when I can afford to upgrade the build.
I will always use the drywasher in the desert but I need the personal satisfaction of a water plant. I found gold in the tiny clay balls of my drywasher tailings. I brought a few buckets home to play with. I used them to test this wash plant.:goldpan:
View attachment 769487 View attachment 769488
View attachment 769489
Very nice set-up, 79er! Please forgive my joke but.... reminds me of a waterslide ride at Waterworld! It ain't wierd if it works! Tnx. TTC

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice set-up, 79er! Please forgive my joke but.... reminds me of a waterslide ride at Waterworld! It ain't wierd if it works! Tnx. TTC

Because I use a submersible pump it's like listening to a fountain.
It sounds peaceful like a stream.
The 3 tubs slow down the sediment good.

I only pulled about 20 pieces of flour gold after the original wash which produced only 3 small pieces, maybe .05 gm.
I found almost 2 gm with the dry washer in the same spot.
I need to buy some 50 gal water barrels for the desert.
The system remover about 3 gal of clay.
I transferred the water to an empty tub after they settled about 4 hours then cleaned the clay out of each tub in turn.
I think I'll use big trashcan bags as liners to speed up the clean up.
I figure 20 buckets a day for 2 days with the same water.
Boy between the water, gas, mining gear, and fire wood. I will have one loaded coach.:goldpan:

Jan 31, 2013
Yuma, Az
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 769487 View attachment 769488
View attachment 769489

Good day,

You should build a screen box like my company uses to keep larger debris out of the totes or buckets. We supply a standard window squeegee (like you see at gas stations) and the rubber edge pushes the rocks off the screen easily and your run-time is extended tremendously between cleaning out totes or buckets. Here is a pic so you get an idea of how we do it.

tn_480_tote_and_pump_top.1.gif.jpg
tn_480_low_end_angle.1.gif.jpg

Thanks, Chris

Last edited:

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Terry, wet is the best way to go. I just wished I lived in a gold producing area still.:BangHead:

I don't know where you are at in Mid Coast Maine but the Unity area looks like a good place to find gold......Good lookin' creeks there!!!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Because I use a submersible pump it's like listening to a fountain.
It sounds peaceful like a stream.
The 3 tubs slow down the sediment good.

I only pulled about 20 pieces of flour gold after the original wash which produced only 3 small pieces, maybe .05 gm.
I found almost 2 gm with the dry washer in the same spot.
I need to buy some 50 gal water barrels for the desert.
The system remover about 3 gal of clay.
I transferred the water to an empty tub after they settled about 4 hours then cleaned the clay out of each tub in turn.
I think I'll use big trashcan bags as liners to speed up the clean up.
I figure 20 buckets a day for 2 days with the same water.
Boy between the water, gas, mining gear, and fire wood. I will have one loaded coach.:goldpan:
79er... suggestion.... If you go to a 50 gal tank, you may as well go to a 275 gal tank. You will not be able to lift a 50 gal tank anyway. I have the 275 for the back of the pick-up. I also have 15 gal tanks (3 of them) for the jeep or any other vehicle. 15 x 3 = 45 gals. full 15 gal tanks are about my limit for moving water. Please consider this suggestion. Take care. TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good day,

You should build a screen box like my company uses to keep larger debris out of the totes or buckets. We supply a standard window squeegee (like you see at gas stations) and the rubber edge pushes the rocks off the screen easily and your run-time is extended tremendously between cleaning out totes or buckets. Here is a pic so you get an idea of how we do it.

View attachment 772187
View attachment 772188

Thanks, Chris
Chris, let's take your tip one step further... on the 1/4 inch "catcher" add window screening ot top of the hardware cloth. That way you also remove most vegetable matter that will plug up water jets and possibly pump inlets. TTC

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good day,

View attachment 772187
View attachment 772188

Thanks, Chris
Oh YEAH. That is a clean mean mining machine you made there Fab.
My resources are limited because of lack of work, but as that changes I do plan ti improve on this design.
The material here in my desert is a very fine clay/ silt and it stays dissolved a long time. But I did keep it away from the pump pretty good with this method.
I use a 5 gal bucket and a 1/4" classifier under the sluice so it's like having 4 settling stages for the clay. I know some gold will travel to the first bucket because the clay isn't 100% liquified the first time through. I do get it the 2nd time though. I just proved that to myself by the trial I did with this wash plant. I washed everything 3 times. only a very small, like 4 pieces of flour gold in the 3rd. wash.
I want to buy some Miracle Matt from Keene.
I got a chance to use Pat Keene's Clean up sluice and it caught everything, but I had to give it back to him.
Now I want one.:goldpan:

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
79er... suggestion.... If you go to a 50 gal tank, you may as well go to a 275 gal tank. You will not be able to lift a 50 gal tank anyway. I have the 275 for the back of the pick-up. I also have 15 gal tanks (3 of them) for the jeep or any other vehicle. 15 x 3 = 45 gals. full 15 gal tanks are about my limit for moving water. Please consider this suggestion. Take care. TTC
Terry you are just full of good ideas, but tell me how much the 275 gallon tank costs.
The coach has a 40 gallon water tank underneath the driver side bench. a 40 gallon gas tank is in the center behind the bumper underneath. Both of them are behind the axle. There are 2 - 20 gallon tanks in front of the axle 1 on each side.
Normally I only fill the 40 and 1 - 20(I couldn't afford to put 80 gallons of gas in my coach).
The way I've been transporting water so far has worked pretty good.
I put two trashcan bags one inside the other, then use it to line a tub, put the tub in the coach, fill it up and close the bags with the wire tie.
It supports the water and the bag keeps it from sloshing out or leaking.
When I get to the destination I just run a siphon hose out the door from the tub and fill up empty tubs outside the coach.
I could do the same thing to 55 gallon plastic drums.
I would put the weight between the axles and it would ride a lot safer.
I would have to drain them out when I reached the destination.
I would first drain 1 drum into the tubs, then drain the second drum into the other drum after I set it outside the coach.
I need to move water around and store water while I'm there, and use it wisely.
At ground-level use the sump pump to move water around, or small handtruck to move the tubs.
Then I set up the wash plant and the generator.
Then I can go mining.:goldpan:
The 275 Gal tank does have my attention, please tell me more about it:goldcoin:

Jan 31, 2013
Yuma, Az
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Chris, let's take your tip one step further... on the 1/4 inch "catcher" add window screening ot top of the hardware cloth. That way you also remove most vegetable matter that will plug up water jets and possibly pump inlets. TTC

Good day TerryC,

I guess it's hard to see but there is window screen in the top of the screen box. I use 1/4" hardware cloth for support with aluminum window screen over the top. If you'll notice on the edge of the screen box there are 3 bolts that go through a long piece of flat stock. That is what holds the window screen tight, but makes it easy to change if it ever wears out. You just remove the 3 stainless bolts and lock nuts on each side and the window screen comes off for replacement. The hardware cloth is built into the frame since it really never needs replacing. This little screen has been a tremendous help for rocks and debris and vegetative material out of your tanks and pump. Also if you'll notice there is a "U" mount that holds the sluice box in the center of the screen box and keeps the sluice about 1/4" inch up off the screen to prevent wear from the sluice box rubbing on the screen and wearing it out prematurely.

Thanks, Chris

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OOPS! I gotta back up. 79er, I missunderstood you. I should have "homed in" on the word coach.... as in RV, right? You have a completely different setup than I was pushing. The 275 gal tank is a plastic tank about 4x4x4 cube.... encased in an aluminum "cage". It has a large lever valve at the bottom. Strictly a big setup sittuation.... for the rear of a pickup. Fab... I see that now... the screen. Sorry. I ordered some #35 mesh screen from Grainger and will make some screens similar to yours but as a basket with depth so it will not spill over the edge as it fills up. Thanks both. TTC

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't know where you are at in Mid Coast Maine but the Unity area looks like a good place to find gold......Good lookin' creeks there!!!
I am in Waldoboro I have heard that Unity as well as Union and of course Byron all are gold producing. The last time I put the sluice in the water was in New Hampshire in Bath. Have you spent much time in Maine Sackett?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread