Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I found this while walking a trail this morning. I’ll lay myself on the altar of Potential Pareidolia. This a very small piece. The coloration variances near the edge caught my eye. It appears to have a worked edge. I can also see where it could be natural “damage”.
The size is what gives me doubts. I can’t see a purpose for it. Either way, it’ll fit in my “Other” jar. Give me your thoughts; I can take it! 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_2080.jpeg
    IMG_2080.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2078.jpeg
    IMG_2078.jpeg
    650 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2079.jpeg
    IMG_2079.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 7

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a piece of natural flint to me. I would keep looking in the area though for sure.
I agree TH. Its road/trail chatter.

I hate to say it but, some of the comments here tell me that they have no common sense and don't know what an intentionally removed flake scars looks like...

In conclusion, It puts people on the wrong path to identifying possible artifacts.:BangHead:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree TH. Its road/trail chatter.

I hate to say it but, some of the comments here tell me that they have no common sense and don't know what an intentionally removed flake scars looks like...

In conclusion, It puts people on the wrong path to identifying possible artifacts.:BangHead:
That is what I hate about the potable art and some pareidolia posts who insist it is just bad pictures, it misleads new artifact hunter members, and they never learn what to look for in real artifacts, you have to train your eyes on what to look for, or at least I did.

Last edited:

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I agree some comments point to having no common sense, like yours.

it’s extremely possible and a valid assessment that it’s a tool fragment, and I thought the comment on it being piece of a base was right on.

It’s ignorant to take shots on people wanting to help, not all areas are subject to the same processes, I’ve got a river and creeks and nothing comes up black like down in Georgia. Other than local flint which crops up in nodules flint found is almost always imported, whos to say the area this found has enough flint or fast moving water to pick up chatter or even be stained.
A piece like that would 100% be a tool fragment around here, there is absolutely 0 creek chatter that looks like that.

Not to mention there’s a margin that looks like a blade and on the other side it’s blocky like a break
IMG_5355.jpeg
IMG_5357.jpeg
IMG_5356.jpeg

It’s fine if that’s what you think but don’t insult other posters we just may have more experience than you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ol

it’s extremely possible and a valid assessment that it’s a tool fragment, and I thought the comment on it being piece of a base was right on.

It’s ignorant to take shots on people wanting to help, not all areas are subject to the same processes, I’ve got a river and creeks and nothing comes up black like down in Georgia. Other than local flint which crops up in nodules flint found is almost always imported, whos to say the area this found has enough flint or fast moving water to pick up chatter or even be stained.
A piece like that would 100% be a tool fragment around here, there is absolutely 0 creek chatter that looks like that.

Not to mention there’s a margin that looks like a blade and on the other side it’s blocky like a break
View attachment 2107388 View attachment 2107386 View attachment 2107387
It’s fine if that’s what you think but don’t insult other posters we just may have more experience than you.
Older, the side you say is "blade margin", the chips are random and the white color shows they are recent, they would not be that white if they were worked in ancient times.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2107388 View attachment 2107386 View attachment 2107387
:'(
I stand by what I said judging by your interpretations (marked up pictures) of the item in question...

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Sometimes in hand is the only way to determine a artifact that is broken or a natural form. To me it shows some work but could be a flake or as others have suggested a natural formation. Either way I try to keep most of my opinions quiet as in a absolute either way. I’d like to see the Artifacts Forum grow back to where it was. I believe by showing negative responses people will leave. But at the same time we should tell someone if it’s a rock without a doubt.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I believe by showing negative responses people will leave."

Sounds kinda woke to me.

Should I just hand out participation trophies instead? How do you learn if everyone agrees and none disagree? Serious Question...

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I wasn’t trying to stir the proverbial pot with this thread. I was honestly unsure and thought I’d seek out opinions. That’s what this site was good for, not too long ago. I respect serious viewpoints shared from both sides. I wanted to hear the doubters along with those who agree. Then I can weigh the perspectives. I’ll try to solve more of these on my own so as to not cause such discord. ☮️

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn’t trying to stir the proverbial pot with this thread. I was honestly unsure and thought I’d seek out opinions. That’s what this site was good for, not too long ago. I respect serious viewpoints shared from both sides. I wanted to hear the doubters along with those who agree. Then I can weigh the perspectives. I’ll try to solve more of these on my own so as to not cause such discord. ☮️
BF58, you have not created any discord, disagreements are okay as long as they do not degrade into insults and fights.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:'(
I stand by what I said judging by your interpretations (marked up pictures) of the item in question...

Sounds kinda woke to
Post them BF58. We are here to learn...
Pot meet kettle

Treasure hunter i can get behind what you say and like creekside said one downside to the whole system is working off of pictures,

what I don’t appreciate are the pot shots at other posters I’ve seen it drive off plenty of people in the past, I commented on what I saw, and tried to explain it farther, but I’m not looking to die on any hills like this one.

Bottom line I come here to see points, learn and talk rocks, and feel like I have plenty of common sense to do so, not looking to fight with anyone but also not afraid to have some self respect.

This isn’t the first time a questionable thread has gotten aggressive and maybe I’m just grumpy today but I wasn’t having it this morning. I generally agree with the opinions of long time members and appreciate the knowledge but we can do without the insults.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023

Sounds kinda woke to me.

Should I just hand out participation trophies instead? How do you learn if everyone agrees and none disagree? Serious Question...
Before I can respond to your question I need to know exactly what you meant by saying
Sounds kinda woke to me. I was wondering if you meant any of these meanings to the term Woke. I chose to disagree with you which I’m not afraid to do. But I’d like to see it as a discussion and not negative.

Attachments

• IMG_1843.jpeg
    IMG_1843.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1842.jpeg
    IMG_1842.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1841.jpeg
    IMG_1841.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 8

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please end the arguing.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I can respond to your question I need to know exactly what you meant by saying
Sounds kinda woke to me. I was wondering if you meant any of these meanings to the term Woke. I chose to disagree with you which I’m not afraid to do. But I’d like to see it as a discussion and not negative.
:icon_scratch:

Designating areas (example: North American Indian Artifacts)where vulnerable populations can feel comfortable discussing their issues. While generally supported, controversy may arise around the concept of excluding certain viewpoints or the perceived coddling of individuals so as not to upset them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread