Ok, time to upgrade need you folks opinion

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
I live at the beach, lots of civil war history here, also lots of tourist losing money, rings etc.....so I will be detecting on the beach, wet sand and dry and in the woods at old home sites etc....I have a whites prizmIII now and it has been excellant, found a lot of loot, and it gets ok depth....but I want more horsepower....whats the best detector I can get for 700 dollars?....looking at a whites matrix M6 what do you pro's think?

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I like the M6 myself, however the Minelab x-terra 70 deserves a look. Both machines are very good, so it may come down to your feeling on dealer support in your area. Good luck.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
MINELAB GT YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.I have found diamond rings in 12" of wet sands.I've gone through a lot of detectors I will not buy anything else now but Minelab.

RD

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Depends on the beach conditions. If there is heavy mineralization and black sand. Most "regular" machines won't cut it. You're then talking about having to have a PI machine for the wet stuff and sometimes the sand is bad enough that the dry sand won't ground balance either (personal experience, whole day lost at a beach because I didn't think dry sand would/could be a problem.) If you are lucky enough to not have to deal with these situations, machines like the Minelab GT, Whites DFX, etc. will all work for you. Price is going to be your problem. Your budget is just under the price of some of the machines like the DFX.

HH

Daryl

OP
OP
R

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
BioProfessor said:
Depends on the beach conditions. If there is heavy mineralization and black sand. Most "regular" machines won't cut it. You're then talking about having to have a PI machine for the wet stuff and sometimes the sand is bad enough that the dry sand won't ground balance either (personal experience, whole day lost at a beach because I didn't think dry sand would/could be a problem.) If you are lucky enough to not have to deal with these situations, machines like the Minelab GT, Whites DFX, etc. will all work for you. Price is going to be your problem. Your budget is just under the price of some of the machines like the DFX.

HH

Daryl

I think I may have to save a bit more and just get exactly what I need...whats 300 bucks in the grand scheme of things anyway ;D so I'll eat a lot of P B & J for a while

Tony M SE IA

Sep 25, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minealab Explorer2
;D If you plan on doing any other kind of hunting in the future, you will be miles ahead by going with at least a Minelab exp2 or a Whites DFX. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread