What's new

Ok what are these?

BenVa68

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2018
Messages
504
Reaction score
1,735
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive dug 2 of these at the same location within a week. They are thin copper discs and both have a little tab at the bottom. Nothing on the back. They were dug at a 1800s home site thats been continuously occupied since at least the early 1800s till today. I believe they were part of a pin or badge but thats just a guess.
 

Attachments

  • 20190208_195712.webp
    20190208_195712.webp
    428.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 20190208_194455.webp
    20190208_194455.webp
    675.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 15497416586394484853846857032720.webp
    15497416586394484853846857032720.webp
    273 KB · Views: 113
  • 15497417127884249834129427476714.webp
    15497417127884249834129427476714.webp
    233.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 15497419305856614089745451823351.webp
    15497419305856614089745451823351.webp
    204.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 15497420118567305197610631083659.webp
    15497420118567305197610631083659.webp
    210.5 KB · Views: 123
13 stars = 13 colonies??
 
Upvote 0
I wonder if they could be insets from glass faced patriotic rosettes, similar to these:

This does look like it could be a match. It's hard to tell the size but i have found other political items on the property.
 
Upvote 0
This does look like it could be a match. It's hard to tell the size but i have found other political items on the property.

Generally speaking, the total diameter of a glass fronts ranged from 1 1/2 - 2 inches - give or take and the insets were roughly 1 3/8" - 1 1/2" in diameter.
 
Upvote 0
Yeah the UP was the first thing that popped in my mind. I even though they might be remnants of a carnival and silhouettes of a shooting gallery that once setup at that location. I use to love the ones that shot like a machine gun with BB's spitting out by compressed air. The object of the game I think they called blackout?. It had a small red printed chicken or some silhouette figure on a white piece of paper and you'd win a prize if you could completely remove the red target in the center. Well I thought I did one time and the carney pointed out one tiny little tap with red hanging on it. I left feeling quite disappointed and of course ripped off.
Good ole' Andy Griffith took care of the Carney's that tried to rip Opie off at the shooting gallery. Remember that episode? Great stuff.
 
Upvote 0
Plug chewing tobacco used to have little metal things with prongs stuck into it with the company logo on it , but I’ve never seen one in copper.
 
Upvote 0
Good ole' Andy Griffith took care of the Carney's that tried to rip Opie off at the shooting gallery. Remember that episode? Great stuff.
Man I think I watched every episode of Andy Griffith growing up, but can't recall that one. I'll have to see if I can find that one. Boy the things we all used to do for activities, sure ain't like it used to be these days. :(
 
Upvote 0
What about small momentos place in honor of veterans at a cemetery long ago? Seems there's something going on being your finding these and other patriotic items that you mentioned.
 
Upvote 0
I'm guessing it's the top of a stick pin. Possibly GAR, but it's kinda cheesy for GAR. Most items I've seen look like they spared no expense to have them made.

Campaign pin also came to mind - McKinley/Hobart 1896. But I would expect it to have a name on it.
 
Upvote 0
Generally speaking, the total diameter of a glass fronts ranged from 1 1/2 - 2 inches - give or take and the insets were roughly 1 3/8" - 1 1/2" in diameter.

That is about the size of them. i didn't measure but i would say they are 1 1/2" or less.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom