Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My picture taking sucks...but here is the story....got permission on private ground to metal detect some of the Lander trail built in 1858...found a Custer era 45-70 about 50 feet from this lost money sack(I think) first coin I found was an 1841 dime..excited about that...was going to put the sod clump back and decided I better check to make sure there is nothing else...kept getting signals and more and more coins kept coming out of the ground..then the 1 dollar coin came out and it was as shiny as it was minted yesterday...had to do a little Indian dance on that one...ended up with 24 coins total and 3 out of 4 of the 4 reale coins had dates legible....1774, 1778, and 1796...one had a hole in it for a necklace and I'm wearing that around my neck...The American coins date from 1840 to 1861....I think the person that lost these got his draft notice for the Civil War and said "Heck with that, I moving to Oregon or California" Makes a good story anyway..8-)8-)8-)8-).

OP
OP
TimberCrack

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My picture taking sucks...but here is the story....got permission on private ground to metal detect some of the Lander trail built in 1858...found a Custer era 45-70 about 50 feet from this lost money sack(I think) first coin I found was an 1841 dime..excited about that...was going to put the sod clump back and decided I better check to make sure there is nothing else...kept getting signals and more and more coins kept coming out of the ground..then the 1 dollar coin came out and it was as shiny as it was minted yesterday...had to do a little Indian dance on that one...ended up with 24 coins total and 3 out of 4 of the 4 reale coins had dates legible....1774, 1778, and 1796...one had a hole in it for a necklace and I'm wearing that around my neck...The American coins date from 1840 to 1861....I think the person that lost these got his draft notice for the Civil War and said "Heck with that, I moving to Oregon or California" Makes a good story anyway..8-)8-)8-)8-).
Got three double dates Half Dollar,Quarter and a dime..Gonna give them to the land-owner...they should be tickled..

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Notice that Spanish silver Real you have on your necklace has a square-shaped hole because it was made with a contemporary hand-forged square nail. How cool!

OP
OP
TimberCrack

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome trail cache! Some of those coins have great luster on them still. Grats on the gold coin too! Banner worthy find IMO. I am curious though, is there a chance the silver bar is a lead bar? Maybe I'm totally off base
Iv'e found lead bars before and they are bendable....I'm still a pretty strong guy in my old fart days..and this won't budge..I put all excess lead I find in a smelter....this wouldn't melt..

OP
OP
TimberCrack

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iv'e found lead bars before and they are bendable....I'm still a pretty strong guy in my old fart days..and this won't budge..I put all excess lead I find in a smelter....this wouldn't melt..
By the way thanks for all the replys and comments...sorry for the wait...long 4th of July weekend..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread