Oklahoma metal detector sites

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It's been said that there aren't any good sites in OK. I will start it off with one . Wonder if there are many on here from OK.
Roger Mills County: In the late 1850's, a group of mexican miners transporting gold dust and nuggets from the Colorado gold fields was attacked by a band of Indians as they neared the Antelope Hills just NW of Crawford. Before the attack, they hid the gold in a cave on the slope of one of the hills and hastily made a fortress in the rocks. Only two escaped and the gold was never recovered. A Mexican ancestor appeared in the area in 1905 and dug in the Antelope hills for several months without success. Over the years erosion had completely consealed the treasure cave.
Ghost townes in the area: Clifford,on SE slope of Antelope Hills, 3 mi.NW of Crawford.
Hamburg, on the Washita River, 5mi S of Durham.
Redmoon, On the Washita River, 12mi NW of Cheyenne.
Downey, 3ni NE of Roll.
Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Looks like there are at least 13 Okies, but it looks like they are the silent type. Frank
PS: I am just trying to help out, I live in Maryland.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Slim, What county are you in?

Cold Springs: about 7 Mi W of upper Cimarron Springs
Well used campsite & battleground
Many relics and artifacts in the area
some researchers think caches are awaiting here as well

Any one hit this site yet? Feedback helps us all. Let's work together.

When the price of diesel drops I might get in my MH and give OK a try maybe some of us can work together. Frank

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
stoop, well I tried but they didn't like the activation key they sent me. So I gave up.
I'm not much for all this coding stuff.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should try again. We have a great bunch of guys and gals in there!

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the push. The third try went through. I agree, that's a friendly area out there. Frank

Slim Diggins

May 27, 2010
McLoud Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleveland Co.

It's been awhile but I used to spend alot of time exploring western OK.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hay Slim here's one. Cleveland County: A party of Mexicans were on there way from Mexico to St Louis with a cargo of gold bullion worth $500,000 when Indians Massacred all but 2 of the party.The gold was dumped into a spring and never recovered. Later in 1895, searchers armed with a map believed the hoard was located on the (then) farm of John Savage, 10 mi E of Norman. There were no reports of success.
The thing here is to go thru 1895 land records to find the farm and then google the location to see where a spring might have been or still is. Any one looked for this one? Frank

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you got in! Say hi in the general section. We all like to welcome the new guys!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Frank! Do you know any info about Garfield, Kingfisher, or Alfalfa counterfeits

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
OK Adrian, here you go. Garfield Co. Only ghost townes listed, but they can be the source of many relics.
Harperville,NE of Billings, 1894-1900
Cropper,on RR,3mi E of Breckinridge
White,5mi SW Garber, 1894-1903
Bloomer,5mi SE Garber, 1893-1901
Barr,5mi S Drummond, 1899-1906
Let me know if you find anything, Hay how about a ghost town video. I use to shoot videos. Here's a tip. When you scan from point to point do it slowly. take about 10 seconds. It holds the attention. Good luck. Frank

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, all these towns are just right around the corner!! Thanks Frank...& I will do another video

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
OK Adrian, here you go. Garfield Co. Only ghost townes listed, but they can be the source of many relics.
Harperville,NE of Billings, 1894-1900
Cropper,on RR,3mi E of Breckinridge
White,5mi SW Garber, 1894-1903
Bloomer,5mi SE Garber, 1893-1901
Barr,5mi S Drummond, 1899-1906
Let me know if you find anything, Hay how about a ghost town video. I use to shoot videos. Here's a tip. When you scan from point to point do it slowly. take about 10 seconds. It holds the attention. Good luck. Frank

Just remember that these are all located on private property. I am working on permission for one of them. I think Bloomer and Barr were railroad sidings. No real town ever existed there.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hay Jason, you can make useful comments. Thank you. Frank

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Adrian here's another. Alfalfa Co.--ghost townes
Loder,In extreme NW corner of the county, 6mi NE of Capron
Little Sandy,on RR,4mi NE of Byron
Mendon,4mi due E of Byron
Ashley,on county line,7mi due W of Ingersoll
Elkton,10mi N of Helens
Gibbon, on RR,5mi SE of Manchester
Sand Creek, on Sand Creek,12mi N of Nash
Florence, on county line, 16mi due E of Ingersoll
Clyde, on RR,5mi SE of Watika
There is one site listed: Sewell's Stockade a/k/a Pond creek Stage station about 2mi S of Jefferson, established in 1870, Many artifacts, relics and Individual coins can be found in the area. That should keep you busy for a while. Good Luck, Frank

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always make usefull posts, just not everyone agrees with them :thumbsup:

Sewells stockade... I have been there, but not detected. There is a marker, but it seems rather forgotten and overgrown (at least when I was there). The original road/trail used to pass right passed that spot going north into Kansas. There is a farm field right beside it, that I have been meaning to get permission to hunt, but have never gotten around to it. If you are heading north on 81 and you see the big red round-barn, the dirt road just south of it leads to the marker.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Here's an interesting one in Dewey co.-- It appears to be two different versions of a lost cannon tail. --- 2 lost Spanish cannons are reportly located on the old trail crossing of the S Canada river on the Lindsay Ranch near Taloga.
--- A party of fleeing Confederate soldiers buried a cannon stuffed with gold on the banks of the Canada River S of Taloga. It has yet to be recovered.
Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread