Ol button?

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg

Upvote 0
Yup that's one blurry ol' looking button, sorry I had to say that for some reason. :)

Is it thirteen stars, eagle with an anchor? If it is then you've got a very nice find.

Yes found it metal detecting nearby found musket balls and large copper coins image.jpgdo you know age?... Found in Connecticut

Better pictures and a little more verbiage regarding your finds would help. Are you looking for an ID on the button or a confirmation that it's old? It looks old and appears to be a US Navy button....perhaps 1812 era. What kind of large copper coins did you find near by?

U.S. Marine Corps button. Prior to 1821 they just used Navy buttons but afterwards the U.S. started making USMC specific buttons. The order in 1821 stated specifically: "an eagle with outspread wings holding a loop of anchor cable in his beak, grasping the ring and stock of a slanting fouled anchor with his talons." The thirteen stars would be an above arc on a lined field with raised border.

This seemingly describes your button. Yours appears to be a two piece button if possible can you make out a manufacturer on the back (such as Scovill or perhaps Lewis & Tomes?)

Dating it will be easier if we have more to go but just as a general note the 13 stars, eagle gripping a slanted fouled anchor has not changed much for most of the Marine Corps history so we need a bit more information to nail it down.

Hope this helps. Oh here is a pic of a shined up one, single piece I think, but is very similar to yours...

post-11058-0-16378800-1365244545.jpg

image.jpga few like this ... King George half pennies?...thankyou for the info on the button is it really that old"1812"... That would be pretty cool

image.jpghard to make out but here's the back...looks like 2 pieces put together

The crook in the neck of the eagle should prive a clue as to age. hbeaton knows his stuff....your eagle's neck is crooked with the head over and to the left. Get yourself a cheap jeweler's loupe and you should be able to make out the back marks better. It's still hard to tell from your pic. If you're not too far from me in CT, I have several jeweler's loupes including my new fav Zeiss with 3x and 6x magnification, so you can get 3x, 6x, and 9x. Great loupe and worth every penny!!

And maybe the loupe could let us know whether the stars on the front are five or six pointed stars. Knowing that will narrow the age.

Furthermore, the back of the button does help a bit, I can make out what looks like "Button Co" above the shank. This would make it a Waterbury Button Company stamp. The fact that the word Button is so close to Co helps distinguish the dating a bit. While I do not have access to Albert's or Tice's books which have detailed analysis on these types of buttons, I can say if the stars turn out to be 5 pointed, it more likely post-Civil War and with the button co so close together, I'm thinking this is more around the post 1900 range which could make it either WW1 or WW2. That's my educated guess, but it's still a guess at this point. There are several expert level button ID guys on here that I hope will catch this thread and set everyone straight ;)

Last edited:
Hbeaton is correct. 100% post American Civil War. Hard to date it exactly without an undamaged back. But I also agree that is likely dates between 1900-1945. Semper Fi....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back