old 2" Keene question

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
I've got an old 2" Keene. The one that used a single intertube. It was given to me & I dount ot has 10hrs on it. I fired it up once a couple of years ago & it worked, but wasn't running too well. I intend to tear down the carb etc & see if I can get it running dependably.
It has a little 2 stroke motor (Kawasaki as I recall?) & the black plastic pump. My question is what the specs were on those pumps. I've heard parts are't available anymore & I'm wondering about an inexpensive replacement pump or motor/pump combo if needed.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a P90 pump. Be real careful pulling the impeller. I would use it till it quits. Check the lines and the orifice then let her rip :) The P100 I think is what they use today with Keene. You can look up what they use on their site.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG a early 80s relic and no parts is affirmative and no mo'kawasaki engine like that either. Get a pair of gun earmuffs as it absolutely screams after a few hours. Do not use that single tuber as will tip over and play submarine soooo easy it's amazing and when that cold water hits a hot ol' cow they die. Dual atv tubes with a T bone frame construction much more stable-engine at the apex of the T with tube under it and a tube under the box but STILL TIPPY so caution is neededed-a ol cow 2" amazing find-John

OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys.
Yeah John the one time I took it out she was a screamer. And I remember your advice on innertube floats from other posts & will heed it. Most of the time it will be sitting on a gravelbar or floating in just a few inches of water. The intent is to take it into remote small streams to play.

Reed, believe me, If I can get it running dependably I'll run it till it dies! Kust wondering if my Honda WX 15 that I use for my highbanker would do the job on it if needed as a replacement.

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pump2.jpg That the pump you have? this was my first dredge old keene floater 2"

Here the impeller, damn thing still had great suction

pump impaler.jpg

ke 101.jpg

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea the WX15 should work fine. On the floats what I did with mine was fill the tube with just enough air to keep it a few inches out of the water. It runs a lot smoother with less air and I could drag it behind me by the nozzle with no worries. In faster water I would tie a cord to the frame under the sluice and motor in a V pattern and then run another cord to my belt. After letting most of the air out of the tube I never had another problem with it wanting to flip.

OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the input guys. I figured the WX 15 would work but it will be heavier so I hope I never need it.

Vini, I believe mine is smaller if that's a brigs 3.5 in the background. It is all plastic & on a LITTLE Kawaski 2 stroke (not much bigger than weed eater size). 1.25" in & out. Kust says "Keene Engeinering North Holloywood Ca". Not model #.

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input guys. I figured the WX 15 would work but it will be heavier so I hope I never need it.

Vini, I believe mine is smaller if that's a brigs 3.5 in the background. It is all plastic & on a LITTLE Kawaski 2 stroke (not much bigger than weed eater size). 1.25" in & out. Kust says "Keene Engeinering North Holloywood Ca". Not model #.

I've never seen one of those you have . I saw a vertical shaft under water pump keene made that a guy I knew had, worked still after 20-30 or more years. I think that is a 3.5 i have

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread