Howdy, a question on water pump and gallons per minute needed 4 a 2 1/2'' suction dredge nozzle ?

PayStreak

Greenie
Jun 14, 2023
Oregone
Detector(s) used
Gold Detector- Fisher Goldbug- No longer have it
Howdy, new guy here. I am wanting to know how many gallons per minute are needed on a water pump to run a 2 1/2'' dredge ? The Keene pump and motors are nice and I believe 100 GPM is what the P90 pump and motor has for this. However, I can't afford one of these Keene pumps but have a lead on a 60 GPM pump and motor that is in my budget. Will this work or is that 4 a smaller 2'' inch dredge, not sure ?

OP
OP
P

PayStreak

Greenie
Jun 14, 2023
Oregone
Detector(s) used
To small of a pump! The Keene P90 pump is what you need ! sorry! Go bigger (P90) you can always throttle it down to get the suction you need ! The 60 GPM is just NOT enough to work the variable depths and amounts of material .
I was thinking so, just knew someone on here would know. Do you think a 60 GPM pump- motor would work on a 2'' dredge ?

OP
OP
P

PayStreak

Greenie
Jun 14, 2023
Oregone
Detector(s) used
No I don't think it would do at all. The larger material won't be able to get up the hose and you'll end up with LOT'S of plug - up's ! And this would aggravate the beans out of you ! :BangHead:
Thanks for the advice russau

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup lots of plug ups and frustration. In my opinion 2” dredges are toys. The extra half inch on the 2.5” dredge makes an incredible difference. Plug ups are super annoying the smaller the dredge the worse they are. A dead blow mallet is extremely handy for loosening up gravel plugs in the hose. Get a good pump designed for the job you’ll save yourself a lot of hassle.

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Yup lots of plug ups and frustration. In my opinion 2” dredges are toys. The extra half inch on the 2.5” dredge makes an incredible difference. Plug ups are super annoying the smaller the dredge the worse they are. A dead blow mallet is extremely handy for loosening up gravel plugs in the hose. Get a good pump designed for the job you’ll save yourself a lot of hassle.
i was just about to comment the same thing.. a 3" is trash .. 4" and up is the way to go.. if you want to go light go with a 4" subbie.. the same engine you could run the 2.5" you could run a 4" subbie and still catch good fines..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread