Old adding machine and metal detector

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Went back to estate sale this AM. Got the adding machine for 5 and the metal detector for ten. Battery cartridge for Md is corroded as Iā€™ve posted a pic. Gonna see if I can get it up and running. Thanks for viewing! IMG_0712.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0713.jpeg
    IMG_0713.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 61
I just gotta askā€¦
Why the adding machine?
Do you collect them?

Good luck with the MD. I hope you can get it working. If not, it will still be a cool show piece for $10.
šŸ‘šŸ¼

Is that a White's CoinMaster?
Good buy at $10

The coil is labeled SEARS II. Iā€™m m not sure who made it. Did White sell via Sears?
Good catch on that one.
Totally missed the coil part.
I was just looking at the meter logo which looked like a White's symbol.

Screenshot_20231211_101308_Chrome.jpg

I just gotta askā€¦
Why the adding machine?
Do you collect them?

Good luck with the MD. I hope you can get it working. If not, it will still be a cool show piece for $10.
šŸ‘šŸ¼
Thanks BF! Looking at it closer and the damage Iā€™m thinking repurpose. If you have any ideas please let me know.

If I remember correctly, White's did make the Sears machines

Back in the 70s I had a coinmaster 5 the best detecter ever for finding nails but as it got older it started finding treasure shallow and very deep or was it me getting older and wiser I have had many detecters since then but none I enjoyed more still have it in the closet burnt the circuit out with recharable batterys

I owned many CoinMaster detectors, as new models came out I upgraded over the years.

I had one model in the early 80's that seemed off.
Went for a drive from Vancouver BC to Sweet Home Oregon.

I explained to them what the issues were, and they took in the detector for testing, and told me to return in a few hours. (After I explained where I was from)
I returned later to retrieve the detector and Mr White gave it back to me personally.
I asked if they found out what was wrong if anything.
He stated that they replaced a circuit board (the latest technology) and the coil.
I'm standing there mentally counting my finances figuring out if they would take a check.

I finally asked what I owed him.

"Well if a person took the time, and drove all the way from Vancouver to his company with their detector to get repaired, it's on the house"
It really impressed him that a loyal customer would do such a thing.

That detector was probably one the best machines I had ever operated up to that time.
I don't know how advanced the technology was, but it was a great improvement over what I dropped off.

The only gripe I have is that the same amount of silvers are no longer available it seems with the newer detectors.

I owned many CoinMaster detectors, as new models came out I upgraded over the years.

I had one model in the early 80's that seemed off.
Went for a drive from Vancouver BC to Sweet Home Oregon.

I explained to them what the issues were, and they took in the detector for testing, and told me to return in a few hours. (After I explained where I was from)
I returned later to retrieve the detector and Mr White gave it back to me personally.
I asked if they found out what was wrong if anything.
He stated that they replaced a circuit board (the latest technology) and the coil.
I'm standing there mentally counting my finances figuring out if they would take a check.

I finally asked what I owed him.

"Well if a person took the time, and drove all the way from Vancouver to his company with their detector to get repaired, it's on the house"
It really impressed him that a loyal customer would do such a thing.

That detector was probably one the best machines I had ever operated up to that time.
I don't know how advanced the technology was, but it was a great improvement over what I dropped off.

The only gripe I have is that the same amount of silvers are no longer available it seems with the newer detectors.
It is a pity that the American companies have gone [mostly] out of business.. I remember a buddy of mine used to own a Spectrum [Whites].. We were detecting the ocean sand at Oak Bay in Victoria,, He put the machine down while digging a signal, and a larger than expected wave came up and completely doused the detector..

He contacted Whites, sent it in and was rewarded with a new machine, no cost.. That is service above and beyond.

There is silver around... but only if a person a] does some extensive research.. or b] is very lucky..Just a few years back, I lived in a tiny town in central B.C.. The towns that had been on the lake were all flooded when the lake rive was dammed.. But throughout the year , the lake level would go up and down.. sometimes as much as 60 to 70 feet. This exposed the old townsites. I made out like a bandit there.. Found many,many silver coins.. My best day was over 40 coins.. Military badges, medallions, medals.. I miss being there now... But health was getting too sketchy to stay with minimal health care

Micheal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back