Old adding machine and metal detector

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Went back to estate sale this AM. Got the adding machine for 5 and the metal detector for ten. Battery cartridge for Md is corroded as Iā€™ve posted a pic. Gonna see if I can get it up and running. Thanks for viewing! IMG_0712.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0713.jpeg
    IMG_0713.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 59

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I just gotta askā€¦
Why the adding machine?
Do you collect them?

Good luck with the MD. I hope you can get it working. If not, it will still be a cool show piece for $10.
šŸ‘šŸ¼

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is that a White's CoinMaster?
Good buy at $10

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The coil is labeled SEARS II. Iā€™m m not sure who made it. Did White sell via Sears?
Good catch on that one.
Totally missed the coil part.
I was just looking at the meter logo which looked like a White's symbol.

Screenshot_20231211_101308_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
cajundetector

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
I just gotta askā€¦
Why the adding machine?
Do you collect them?

Good luck with the MD. I hope you can get it working. If not, it will still be a cool show piece for $10.
šŸ‘šŸ¼
Thanks BF! Looking at it closer and the damage Iā€™m thinking repurpose. If you have any ideas please let me know.

luke_00

Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember correctly, White's did make the Sears machines

ben ohio

Greenie
Oct 27, 2007
Back in the 70s I had a coinmaster 5 the best detecter ever for finding nails but as it got older it started finding treasure shallow and very deep or was it me getting older and wiser I have had many detecters since then but none I enjoyed more still have it in the closet burnt the circuit out with recharable batterys

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I owned many CoinMaster detectors, as new models came out I upgraded over the years.

I had one model in the early 80's that seemed off.
Went for a drive from Vancouver BC to Sweet Home Oregon.

I explained to them what the issues were, and they took in the detector for testing, and told me to return in a few hours. (After I explained where I was from)
I returned later to retrieve the detector and Mr White gave it back to me personally.
I asked if they found out what was wrong if anything.
He stated that they replaced a circuit board (the latest technology) and the coil.
I'm standing there mentally counting my finances figuring out if they would take a check.

I finally asked what I owed him.

"Well if a person took the time, and drove all the way from Vancouver to his company with their detector to get repaired, it's on the house"
It really impressed him that a loyal customer would do such a thing.

That detector was probably one the best machines I had ever operated up to that time.
I don't know how advanced the technology was, but it was a great improvement over what I dropped off.

The only gripe I have is that the same amount of silvers are no longer available it seems with the newer detectors.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned many CoinMaster detectors, as new models came out I upgraded over the years.

I had one model in the early 80's that seemed off.
Went for a drive from Vancouver BC to Sweet Home Oregon.

I explained to them what the issues were, and they took in the detector for testing, and told me to return in a few hours. (After I explained where I was from)
I returned later to retrieve the detector and Mr White gave it back to me personally.
I asked if they found out what was wrong if anything.
He stated that they replaced a circuit board (the latest technology) and the coil.
I'm standing there mentally counting my finances figuring out if they would take a check.

I finally asked what I owed him.

"Well if a person took the time, and drove all the way from Vancouver to his company with their detector to get repaired, it's on the house"
It really impressed him that a loyal customer would do such a thing.

That detector was probably one the best machines I had ever operated up to that time.
I don't know how advanced the technology was, but it was a great improvement over what I dropped off.

The only gripe I have is that the same amount of silvers are no longer available it seems with the newer detectors.
It is a pity that the American companies have gone [mostly] out of business.. I remember a buddy of mine used to own a Spectrum [Whites].. We were detecting the ocean sand at Oak Bay in Victoria,, He put the machine down while digging a signal, and a larger than expected wave came up and completely doused the detector..

He contacted Whites, sent it in and was rewarded with a new machine, no cost.. That is service above and beyond.

There is silver around... but only if a person a] does some extensive research.. or b] is very lucky..Just a few years back, I lived in a tiny town in central B.C.. The towns that had been on the lake were all flooded when the lake rive was dammed.. But throughout the year , the lake level would go up and down.. sometimes as much as 60 to 70 feet. This exposed the old townsites. I made out like a bandit there.. Found many,many silver coins.. My best day was over 40 coins.. Military badges, medallions, medals.. I miss being there now... But health was getting too sketchy to stay with minimal health care

Micheal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread