✅ SOLVED Old animal traps? What are theys?

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
2e5pm4z.jpg

335h5zq.jpg

2wmqkhg.jpg

Thanks!

They could be animal traps.. i've dug countless game traps (mainly victor ones, if you see a V stamped anywhere on it then it probably is a Victor trap) i think this may be more horse related or logging/farm related?

Upvote 0
That was my second thought - horse related. Just not sure. Thanks for the input Hutsite

Upvote 0
Yep okay Solved! it definitely is a lock type. thank you nola

Upvote 0
Yah i was just getting ready to say, that the bottom piece looks like part of a trap.. It may be some jerry rigged type of trap? not sure, i don't think this trap is common in Virginia though?? i think BosnMate would know about this one..

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
those things at the top are hames....not traps at all...the bottom piece is the base plate of a trap...what we have always called a "Jump".They dont make em any more,but your piece is worth less

now it's been totally solved thanks kuger!!! Great news!

Upvote 0
Even though they may not be originally trap related, If they were with the trap they could have been drags. You attach to trap, then when sprung the animal drags them to the woods where they get gaught up. Similar in use to grapnels. This is so trap/fur won't be stolen...

Upvote 0
Disgusting and cruel!

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 4

Upvote 0
Disgusting and cruel!

............and a totally uneducated and out of place remark!!!!!!

Upvote 0
yes..yours is!

Upvote 0
....just as I expected...your types just wish to stay in the dark,with your non factual ideas spoon fed to you by special interest groups,that spew lies and propaganda.......since you will not likely look further into the benefits of the responsible uses of leg hold traps,I will point out just a couple FACTS.#1 any responsible trapper abides by the law and checks their traps every 24 hours,and spends up to 3 x the cost of the stock trap to modify it to prevent injury to the caught animals foot,leg and shoulder.Traps with teeth have been banned(rightfully so for over 70+ years,and nobody would want to use them today any way)Animals will not EVER chew their feet off when raps are checked within the legal limits and not even twice that time.Right now there are activly countless projects utilizing leghold traps to protect and study endangered species.....INCLUDING the capture of the Timber Wolf,to affix collars to them for study purposes,why?It is the most humane,efficient,and productive method thats why.So having an opinion is fine but before you pass it onto to other people maybe do a little background research into the facts ........you dont look foolish this way

Upvote 0
I stated my opinion which YOU seem to have a problem with and a need to debate. Your nasty remarks toward me ie your type are out of line and actually outside the rules of Tnet. .

Upvote 0
....just as I expected...your types just wish to stay in the dark,with your non factual ideas spoon fed to you by special interest groups,that spew lies and propaganda.......since you will not likely look further into the benefits of the responsible uses of leg hold traps,I will point out just a couple FACTS.#1 any responsible trapper abides by the law and checks their traps every 24 hours,and spends up to 3 x the cost of the stock trap to modify it to prevent injury to the caught animals foot,leg and shoulder.Traps with teeth have been banned(rightfully so for over 70+ years,and nobody would want to use them today any way)Animals will not EVER chew their feet off when raps are checked within the legal limits and not even twice that time.Right now there are activly countless projects utilizing leghold traps to protect and study endangered species.....INCLUDING the capture of the Timber Wolf,to affix collars to them for study purposes,why?It is the most humane,efficient,and productive method thats why.So having an opinion is fine but before you pass it onto to other people maybe do a little background research into the facts ........you dont look foolish this way

:notworthy: Well written!

Upvote 0
I stated my opinion which YOU seem to have a problem with and a need to debate. Your nasty remarks toward me ie your type are out of line and actually outside the rules of Tnet. .

..and as as expected as typical as well,change the subject....I stated the facts....not opinion.Look into how they are controling Beavers,muskrat and Nutria that are causing millions of $$ in damage to land and property as well as damaging levies and dams endangering millions of peoples lives....I will help you....traps.Look into how they are protecting endangerd shore birds like the Snowy Plover and the Least Tern from non native predators like HOUSE CATS...hint leg hold traps.Look into how they are capturing Wolverines to collar them for study.....can you guess?TRAPS...leg hold traps...I wonder why?

Upvote 0
249831_326961770741482_1687970579_n.jpg The remarks are all uncalled for...end of subject.

Upvote 0
I respect the opinion RR but thats the problem with the US today........its all about "Nice",and emotion,fact and truth out the door....ban me or what ever you feel the need for but I will never sit by and listen or watch lies and mis truths spoken about anything I know the better of

Upvote 0
As a trapper myself, I will add that nowadays we prefer to call them foothold traps. It sounds more ethical and it is the goal of trappers to catch by the foot and not the leg. Lord knows we catch enough flak from anti's who only look at the cruelty part of it. It would actually be more cruel to not control animal populations because there would be starving and diseased animals in every neighborhood, so then there would be dead animals laying all over.
By law in my area we have to check our traps atleast every 24 hours. The animals are then cleanly dispatched.
Yes that is part of a jump trap. The usage of drags in trapping is mostly to ensure that animals don't pull their foot out and escape. Alot of trappers now are using inline springs as a sort of shock absorber to prevent pullouts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back