What's new

Old Arm and Hammer thing before it was Arm and Hammer

whittburger

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 11, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey! I found this a few years ago and I'm not sure what it was used for or if it's worth anything. It is about the size of a quarter and about the thickness of two or three quarters. Material is unknown. It says Church and Company. I do know in the 1880's the company was owned by William Church therefore the company was named for him for about 10 years. Does anyone know what this was used for and if it has any value?
 

Attachments

  • Arm and Hammer Token.webp
    Arm and Hammer Token.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 501
  • Arm and Hammer Token Back.webp
    Arm and Hammer Token Back.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 444
I found this advertising item listed on an antique site. They called it a wax seal mounted on top of a thick, almost used up, pencil. I'm not convinced on the wax seal explanation. Shouldn't the letters be reversed then? However, I'm wondering if the end of the "pencil" wasn't press fit into that groove on the back? What do you think? BTW, this "seal" is listed as 1 1/8" in diameter.

Church&Cos Adv.webp

Church & Co. was formed in 1867 and ran until 1896 when it merged with John Dwight & Co. to become the current Church & Dwight Co.
Arm & Hammer.webp
 
Upvote 0
Wow. You guys ARE good. Thanks for the help. This forum is awesome by the way. This will keep me motivated through the winter months...
 
Upvote 0
Could a cork or rubber stopper have been attached to the back side of it for a lid or cap to a bottle?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom