Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mowed the grass in a Baltimore City park today since it was getting too tall to swing. Got a number of older targets: a no-date fatty indian, 1895 V-nickel, 1945 S war nickle and a brooch with missing stone and pin, it's marked "Czecho Slovakia" on the back. A bit of Baltimore history was dug today with this key, cut at M.B. Klein at 206 N. Gay St. in Baltimore. Morris Klein established his hardware and locksmith store there in 1913.
IMG_7614.JPG IMG_7612.JPG IMG_7610.JPG IMG_7607.JPG IMG_7608.JPG IMG_7606.JPG originalMBK.jpg mb klein.jpg

Upvote 28

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt. Did you say you mowed the city park!? I like it.

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice finds. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds and presentation of them! Well done!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds McCdig. I like that key you found. Nice piece of local history.

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice sir!!

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt, has to be a first of mowing Park grounds before you hunt, nice looking coins & broach, the key is outstanding & nice history, congrats on the saves

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Hughett! Another advantage of my F-150, I can take the mower to the park. To be precise, I mowed what I thought I could detect in a few hours.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have some cool stuff there. I especially like the key.

Although it morphed slowly from a hardware store to a hobby/model train shop and eventually moved from Baltimore City to Baltimore County, M. B. Klein is still in business today. A little history...

In 1913 Morris Benjamin Klein founded M.B. Klein, Inc. as a general hardware store and locksmith shop.

In the 1960's Baltimore began to expand and a new highway, Interstate-83, was built to help relieve the downtown traffic congestion. As a result of this, the store's original location was absorbed into the construction site of the highway and the store was forced to move from its original location to make way for I-83.

The store relocated a block south to 162 North Gay Street.Over the years, Morris Klein's only child, Ted Klein, joined his father at the store, working side-by-side, learning the business."I was running across the street to a hobby distributor, Kramer Brothers, and buying the trains at wholesale," Ted recalled, "Then I'd run back, and we'd sell them at retail. Finally, I wondered, 'Why am I doing this? And I convinced my father to put in more trains. Ted slowly converted the hardware store to a model train store. At this time period, a Lionel train set was the quintessential toy children dreamed of receiving during the Holiday Season.

In the mid-1970's the store was completely converted to trains. HO Scale started to become more popular and M.B. Klein, Inc. continued to expand the variety of products offered to the model railroad community. This included trains, and their myriad accessories so that the model railroader could build a town with homes, apartment houses, sky scrapers, parks, trees, rolling lawns, police and fire departments, jails, city halls, big towns, bigger cities, lakes, mountains, prairies, bridges, tunnels and national monuments! Throughout the 1980's M.B. Klein established itself as the Model Train Headquarters for all model train enthusiasts, young and old. During the Holiday Season, a common sight in Baltimore would be houses throughout the city with train layouts running in the windows. The firehouses throughout Maryland would have large train gardens and the neighborhood children would walk through the display with wide-eyed enjoyment. Practically everyone in Maryland knew that the place to get the greatest selection of train supplies was down at Klein's.The 1990's would be a decade of great expansion. Mail ordering became a common practice for many stores and M.B. Klein was no exception. New scales like N Scale and Z Scale were added to the growing selection of products.

The development of the Internet in the late 1990's brought with it a great opportunity. The staff of the store began building a now-established website to offer the store's wares to a worldwide community. M.B. Klein's dedicated, knowledgeable staff now sells to tens of thousands of hobbyists throughout the world! M.B. Klein, Inc. relocated to a new 10,000 square foot location in Cockeysville in the summer of 2007. We added an additional 5,000 square feet to the facility in 2008 expanding warehouse and showroom space. Our new location allows us to stock all our merchandise on site. We are able to ship out our customers' orders daily as they place them using our real-time inventory website. Customers can now see exactly what we have in stock and order with confidence. Our growing abilities and our well-established network of vendors allow us to supply our patrons with one of the largest ready to ship inventories. We are constantly upgrading and expanding our capabilities and continue to look forward to serving the Model Railroad Community.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres a good motto cut it and gut it lol great finds my friend

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job, congrats!:occasion14:

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great group of and a little local history. Congrats on a great outing.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several nice pieces of history and I'm certain they all have interesting backstories on how they came to rest there so many years ago. Considering that adds a lot to the pieces we find, don't you think? Congrats mate!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread