old bottle necks

brickyard

Greenie
Jul 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was given these by a very generous man. he said they were from a recent Charleston, SC dig, and that some were colonial times. do the necks have any value? i plan on using them for an art project. just curious to get any input from y'all.

thanks!

IMG_3684.JPG

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I checked Pinterest, a bulletin board of sorts and found that you can grind down old bottle necks and make slides for guilders. People make necklaces out of worn down glass all the time so I wonder if just the smooth lip of an old bottle might work?

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
That's a good box of very old bottle tops. Did they find any whole bottles at that dig? I think they would have some value to someone if sold as a lot.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what i do with mine after i clean them.

image-1107174131.png

image-4232360277.png

image-365703908.png

image-1911409508.png

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i can't pass them up either....

Attachments

• DSC03681.JPG
    DSC03681.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 127

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i can't pass them up either....

I like the way you have that display unclemac. I think you've posted about this once before, which inspired me to start collecting necks too. I just need a good bowl like that to put them in.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I save all old glass shards and tumble them into "sea glass" in my rock tumblers and present them in clear jars to landowners who allow me to dig on their property. The tops I save and display them in my front planter sticking up like they are buried bottles.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Shepardess did you have the necks ground down somehow? I really like the way you have them displayed like that.

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shepardess did you have the necks ground down somehow? I really like the way you have them displayed like that.

I went out to the shop and ground them down on the bench grinder. I must stress that you use a mask so you don't breath in the fine powdered glass.

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's pretty cool. I Iike it on the keychain.

The blob top on the key chain I ground down with sandpaper. It didn't have a whole lot that needed to be taken off. I like the key chain as it is easy to find, always in the bottom of my purse due to the heavy blob top. It was a 2 man job to get it on the ring.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
a buck 99 at the goodwill....

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
We took some (8) early black glass bottle necks and cut off the rough broken ends with a tile saw, then polished them clean and smooth in the tumbler. Gave them to a friend who likes antiques to use as napkin rings. Lots of interesting things can be done with the shards and broken what nots (aka. trash)

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We took some (8) early black glass bottle necks and cut off the rough broken ends with a tile saw, then polished them clean and smooth in the tumbler. Gave them to a friend who likes antiques to use as napkin rings. Lots of interesting things can be done with the shards and broken what nots (aka. trash)

That's a very creative use, I'll have to remember that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions