What's new

Old brass buckle HELP!!!......... Thanks creskol

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2007
Messages
3,295
Reaction score
2,665
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vicksburg Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy in my club found this old brass buckle of some sorts. Wondering if anyone can ID it? Age? What it was used for?
Thanks.

Just shy of 3" wide and just over 3" long. Notice the tangs are long enough so they would poke whatever was underneath. :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • DSC05411.webp
    DSC05411.webp
    33 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC05410.webp
    DSC05410.webp
    32.2 KB · Views: 457
  • DSC05413.webp
    DSC05413.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 442
Re: Old brass buckle HELP!!!.........

Cool buckle. Ill take a wild guess some kind of trace carrier horse harness buckle.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Old brass buckle HELP!!!.........

I've never seen anything like that.
What kind of area was it dug in? Did he dig anything else around it?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Old brass buckle HELP!!!.........

bigcypresshunter said:
Cool buckle. Ill take a wild guess some kind of trace carrier horse harness buckle.

Good Guess .. That is called a Cooper's Trace Carrier.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Old brass buckle HELP!!!.........

bigcypresshunter said:
Cool buckle. Ill take a wild guess some kind of trace carrier horse harness buckle.

Old farm site. the other items were common to an old farm.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Old brass buckle HELP!!!.........

creskol said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Cool buckle. Ill take a wild guess some kind of trace carrier horse harness buckle.

Good Guess .. That is called a Cooper's Trace Carrier.

Any more info? I still can't find pics, or other info on a Coopers trace carrier.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Old brass buckle HELP!!!.........

Mike from MI said:
creskol said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Cool buckle. Ill take a wild guess some kind of trace carrier horse harness buckle.

Good Guess .. That is called a Cooper's Trace Carrier.

Any more info? I still can't find pics, or other info on a Coopers trace carrier.

What sort of info are you looking for? Thanks.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Old brass buckle HELP!!!.........

He probably wants what we all want to check it off as solved. We need a matching pic or a link. He may also want to read about it and date it.

Sorry I dont have much more as I was only guessing. I just thought it resembled a trace carrier.
http://www.buytack.com/products/misc/wea/harness-hardware-5.htm
 

Attachments

  • horse trace carrier.webp
    horse trace carrier.webp
    6.1 KB · Views: 778
Upvote 0
Re: Old brass buckle HELP!!!.........

The one shown in this photo is circa 1919. Yours appears to be older, as the slots are both narrow. I don't see any listed at all in my 1867 catalog, which leads me to believe that yours dates to somewhere around the turn of the century.

Hope this helps some.
 

Attachments

  • Harness Diagram.webp
    Harness Diagram.webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 898
Upvote 0
Re: Old brass buckle HELP!!!.........

Great layout creskol. We all appreciate it when a member goes the extra mile to find a pic online or in a book and post it so as to help another member. Great work. :icon_thumright:

Green check? :D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Old brass buckle HELP!!!.........

very cool I learned something today.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Old brass buckle HELP!!!.........

creskol said:
The one shown in this photo is circa 1919. Yours appears to be older, as the slots are both narrow. I don't see any listed at all in my 1867 catalog, which leads me to believe that yours dates to somewhere around the turn of the century.

Hope this helps some.

Thank you very much creskol. I appreciate the extra mile you went. Well done! :icon_thumright: :thumbsup: :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom