What's new

✅ SOLVED Old buckle

njrelicgairl

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2013
Messages
538
Reaction score
1,102
Golden Thread
0
Location
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master and Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey
I discovered this buckle yester day, not shore of the date. But is it a buckle or a decorative item?
 

Attachments

  • 16593819628959067103254187102646.webp
    16593819628959067103254187102646.webp
    545.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 16593820242568514284736743474064.webp
    16593820242568514284736743474064.webp
    571.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Looks like a sash buckle. It helps to put a ruler or or a known object like a quarter in the photos so we can tell how big the item is. I do not think it went over anything but a photo with a size reference would help for sure.
 
Upvote 7
Hey
I discovered this buckle yester day, not shore of the date. But is it a buckle or a decorative item?
Could be an old shoe buckle depending on its size to hold a shoe on the persons foot.
 
Upvote 2
I have to agree with gunsil, that it's likely a decorative clothing buckle, knowing the size will definitely help. :thumbsup:
It's made of stamped brass, as opposed to cast brass, which means it's not a horse harness buckle. Also, these clips on the back would indicate that was attached to either a leather or cloth belt. Date wise, I'm thinking 1900 - 20.

Nice find,
Dave
 

Attachments

  • 16593820242568514284736743474064-crop.webp
    16593820242568514284736743474064-crop.webp
    35.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Upvote 7
I have to agree with gunsil, that it's likely a decorative clothing buckle, knowing the size will definitely help. :thumbsup:
It's made of stamped brass, as opposed to cast brass, which means it's not a horse harness buckle. Also, these clips on the back would indicate that was attached to either a leather or cloth belt. Date wise, I'm thinking 1900 - 20.

Nice find,
Dave
Thank you!
 
Upvote 3
Looks like a sash buckle. It helps to put a ruler or or a known object like a quarter in the photos so we can tell how big the item is. I do not think it went over anything but a photo with a size reference would help for su

Is it brass It looks like it was used on leather horse harness I have quite a few different sizes and types I love finding them Nice find
Thank you!
 
Upvote 2
Here are some brass buckles I have found over the years I agree a horse buckle is generally a cast item So it is most likely some decorative item such a shoe buckle
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1455.webp
    IMG_1455.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
Upvote 4
Nice finds, the reins guide (2nd from bottom) and the crotal bell are good finds. :thumbsup:

I keep most of my more interesting finds, I just can't bear to throw them in the scrap brass bucket. :laughing7:
Dave
 

Attachments

  • 20190201_053954.webp
    20190201_053954.webp
    235.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20190201_053933.webp
    20190201_053933.webp
    154.1 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 2

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom