Old Business Ledger and Some research.

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda of a neat find, but the research I did on the ledger was the big reward. I found this business ledger that belonged to a wealthy farmer/investor that lived in Wheatland, NY (Outside of Rochester) named Thomas Brown. The ledger was from the late 1800's and had quite a bit of information regarding his farm business, the animals he bought and sold and a few farms he bought up from others. There was also payroll and a bunch of promissory "notes" from people who borrowed from him.My research found that he had a son Edward Brown that went to prep school in Wis. and then to Rensellear Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY. During his time in college his Father became ill and Edward dropedp out of school to help care for his ailing Father and to help with the business. Edward became quite involved with the town of Wheatland, NY and was one of the youngest ever elected to a town office at 23yo. - A few years later at age 32 he was thrown from his horse and died in Nov of 1900.

I happen to be going the last portions of the ledger and I noticed that the entries stopped in Nov of 1900. - the month and year of Edwards death.

Maybe you all don't find this as interesting as I do… :unhappysmiley:

The research and putting faces to the item is the best reward… The ending of the ledger in Nov 1900 when Edward died kinda of made you think too..

I like that old stuff. I have a letterI picked up at an Estate sell dated 1844 (I think, would have to pull it out to make sure). I find it interesting how life was and how they conducted business back then.

I found a newspaper from a town near here that's really small...now...its dated 1886...the town was a riverboat building town and built sternwheelers like the delta queen,but not that one...lots of ads ...one I found interesting was that it was time to order your new shoes if you wanted them for next winter...the bootmaker had a brisk business and for 2 bucks you could have a nice pair of boots....half down was required to order...

Yup! I have bought so many things like this ledger.. Another item i bought was a scrapbook that a young woman made in the early 1900's. I ended up tracking down her daughter who was in her 80's! The daughter did not recognize the item and figured that the company hired to auction her Mother's stuff after her death had hand picked and stolen a few items.. So it was exciting for the daughter to go through the book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back