What's new

old button ID help

kmcneil

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2009
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Found this button at the same site as the great coat button 1815-1830 I found. The button is 1/2 inch in size and has a sodered(sp?) shank..Could this be a cuff button from the same era?? There is lettering on the reverse but can not make it out.
 

Attachments

  • DSC01205.webp
    DSC01205.webp
    10.8 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC01206.webp
    DSC01206.webp
    14 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC01205.webp
    DSC01205.webp
    10.8 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC01206.webp
    DSC01206.webp
    14 KB · Views: 189
there is lettering on the back, but I really can make it out even with a loupe..... >:( I will try different lighting and a few other tricks to see if I can make out the lettering
 
Upvote 0
My best guess is that this is a civilian gilt brass button dating from around the same period as the great coat button.

Even a partial backmark might be enough to attribute it; that is, if it's a maker's mark rather than simply a quality mark.
 
Upvote 0
After enlarging (and a lot of squinting) I think part of the back reads LONDON, which wouldn't be surprising for this type of button. Hopefully that's a start. But I could easily just be "seeing things".
 

Attachments

  • buttonid.webp
    buttonid.webp
    9 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 0
Is the character being pointed at below an ampersand (&)?
 

Attachments

  • buttonid.webp
    buttonid.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 147
Upvote 0
The more I look at it, I too see "london"..... :icon_scratch: I'm going to send my buddy at the frontier army museum a pic and see what he thinks also :icon_study: thank's to everyone for their input :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom