What's new

Old button , need help on ID

pl8man

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
4,204
Reaction score
4,643
Golden Thread
2
Location
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know nothing about button so I'm hoping someone can help date and ID this one . I found it last night at a school that has been scraped and graded for a new field . The school dates to the early 1950's . Before the school was built on old maps from the 1870's it shows a few house at this site . Please help ;D
Thanks ,
Glen
 

Attachments

  • P7230004.webp
    P7230004.webp
    351.8 KB · Views: 329
  • P7230016.webp
    P7230016.webp
    231 KB · Views: 322
  • P7230004.webp
    P7230004.webp
    351.8 KB · Views: 320
  • P7230016.webp
    P7230016.webp
    231 KB · Views: 318
  • P7230011.webp
    P7230011.webp
    243.8 KB · Views: 322
Interesting button!

It looks like an old pewter button from the 1700s, but the shank, and the design on the front make me think it is perhaps a newer button that was burned in a fire.
 
Upvote 0
Button is a copy of a Austrian coin.
 

Attachments

  • coin.gif
    coin.gif
    33.9 KB · Views: 263
Upvote 0
winner lucas* --now how old is it? where made by who?
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
Interesting button!

It looks like an old pewter button from the 1700s, but the shank, and the design on the front make me think it is perhaps a newer button that was burned in a fire.
BB-

What about the shank says newer to you? Not being rhetorical, just interested in learning something. Thanks
 
Upvote 0
the "flat button" type design reminds me of flat button design common in late 1700 (1780) to early 1800 (1820) era time frame
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
Interesting button!

It looks like an old pewter button from the 1700s, but the shank, and the design on the front make me think it is perhaps a newer button that was burned in a fire.

Thats what I thought and stated on another forum. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
One thing... a Austrian button was probably not lost in San Jose CA in 1780. :laughing9:

Maybe a ski sweater or something? Like the Scandinavians do... they love pewter buttons on sweaters, why not the Austrians?

I think the coin was reissued in the 1960's? Which is how I recognized it. Button could be from the same date.

Electrolysis? It wipes out zinc pretty fast.
 
Upvote 0
I just want to say thank you to everyone for helping out . ;D
Glen
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
One thing... a Austrian button was probably not lost in San Jose CA in 1780. :laughing9:

Maybe a ski sweater or something? Like the Scandinavians do... they love pewter buttons on sweaters, why not the Austrians?

I think the coin was reissued in the 1960's? Which is how I recognized it. Button could be from the same date.

Electrolysis? It wipes out zinc pretty fast.

The Austrians DO love pewter buttons that look like old coins on their garments. If you go to any nick-nack shop or shop that sells Knopfen you will see imitation coin buttons for sale. They are more common on traditional clothes, but they are there.

-Buck
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom